Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: FreedomPop officially launches free phone service, offers $99 HTC EVO

Carrier(s)
    At&t
    Feedback Score
    I got my Htc evo 4g design 2 days ago. Rooted and poorly refurbished and packaged out of the box. The only thing on the screen was a protection film that has so many scratches on the screen and bubbles that wasn't able to be pressed out. I could not replace the film protection as I can not remove it. I also had an Apple iPhone 5 refurbished and it was in mint condition. I guess this is the best it got when it comes to discontinued phones by Sprint.

Other things:

Ran open signal app - got Boost mobile evdo as identifier not sprint's network.

Speed test - 1.92Mbps down with .5Mbps up. This is not a big city at all. It's a small city with 42k pop. (area known to US Cellular dominance with no verizon because of spectrum).

Problems - freedompop config (app) & sip message pop ups continually and is very annoying. "Phone number is activated: ### ### ####" every 5-15minutes of use. Tried to kill it, it manually popped up again and restarted phone with no success.

Battery - drops quick - So I disabled 3G & "4G(wimax)". Disabled many googleservices from a another forum that helps with battery issues on android.

Lock button is easily pressed so I lock it every time I hold the phone.

O.S. - 4.0.3 ICS Trying to find upgrade to 4.2 or 4.3 jB or kk. can someone help?

Software number: freedompop 0.9beta

Phone number not listed in phone even if activated through freedompops activation app.

calling - Using talkatone app with google voice number&account to surpass the limitation of minutes by using the minutes through data.
    Calling on straight 3G is fine and loud and clear (thought i heard an echo). Had experience with boost mobile when it was on iden or edge or w/e 4 years ago and it was *** (know now that it doesn't have iden cuz of shutdown).

Wifi Tether - app included from when the phone came. Not sure if this is allowed to be used. can someone clarify? (without extra charges, ill ask FP customer service).

Feedbacks to any of my problems please.

Device(s)
    Nexus 6P
    Carrier(s)
    H2O Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by androiddoglover View Post
    Problems - freedompop config (app) & sip message pop ups continually and is very annoying. "Phone number is activated: ### ### ####" every 5-15minutes of use. Tried to kill it, it manually popped up again and restarted phone with no success.
    I noticed this, too. The phone service on this phone is SIP. If you disable the SIP service, there is no calling with the phone.

Battery - drops quick - So I disabled 3G & "4G(wimax)". Disabled many googleservices from a another forum that helps with battery issues on android.
    Noticed this, too. I'm guessing this has to do with the fact it spends a lot of time searching for a wireless connection.

Lock button is easily pressed so I lock it every time I hold the phone.
    Haven't experienced this yet.

O.S. - 4.0.3 ICS Trying to find upgrade to 4.2 or 4.3 jB or kk. can someone help?
    I figure any kind of customization on this will be a challenge, since it has SIP-based phone service.

Phone number not listed in phone even if activated through freedompops activation app.
    On mine, the phone number sometimes shows up in the Notifications tray. I haven't figured out what causes it to show up.

calling - Using talkatone app with google voice number&account to surpass the limitation of minutes by using the minutes through data.
    Calling on straight 3G is fine and loud and clear (thought i heard an echo). Had experience with boost mobile when it was on iden or edge or w/e 4 years ago and it was *** (know now that it doesn't have iden cuz of shutdown).
    I'm not able to make/receive calls in 3G areas on mine.

Wifi Tether - app included from when the phone came. Not sure if this is allowed to be used. can someone clarify? (without extra charges, ill ask FP customer service).
    I assume it's not only allowed but encouraged because this is essentially a postpaid service. That $.02/MB will really generate a lot of revenue when customers go over their data allotment. Tethered use can chew through data faster than efficient smartphone apps.

Device(s)
    Nexus 6P
    Carrier(s)
    H2O Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Churner View Post
    I'm not able to make/receive calls in 3G areas on mine.
    I figured this one out. Discovered there were settings in the SIP client that were defaulted to make it work only on wifi. I switched it to work on 3G and shouldn't have this problem anymore.

Device(s)
    HTC EVO Design 4g
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPoP
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mattdank View Post
    Just out of curiosity did they send you a tracking information? I ordered mine and I still haven't received it yet. What carrier did they use UPS?

Sent with the HoFo App

FedEx I've not received mine too. I ordered Oct 3 morning and until now no email from FD yet.

Carrier(s)
    At&t
    Feedback Score
    Yeah i disabled sip with system tuner app and downloaded adaway to try to help with etc problems. The fastest browser tested them all even paid ones was puffin paid. Although system resources leads it to be a lil laggy. I disabled sip because i don't want anyone to touch those 200minutes either by wifi or 3G. So data only for talkatone would only be used. The phone i wish to be at least 1.5+Ghz cuz its speed is like between 4-4S of the iPhone. Yes i am making a comparison because i had those and right now iPhone 5. Im not biased. This is my second android phone. The funny thing is i got it all themed up like an iPhone 5 on iOS 7. Although one thing that bugs me is i cant turn off the locking ring with no lock app. It looks good though. Don't call me out for fanboy or flame, i just prefer some things over the others. My battery has really increased because of disabled some google services if that helps anyone. Let me post a picture of the theme.

Device(s)
    LG Ultimate 2 L41C, HTC Evo 4G, Photon Mifi
    Carrier(s)
    Pageplus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Anybody know of you can use rollover plan with this phone and service?

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

Device(s)
    Nexus 6P
    Carrier(s)
    H2O Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ShredFred View Post
    Anybody know of you can use rollover plan with this phone and service?
    There is no rollover, but there are ways to qualify for additional free data by participating in various "special offers," signing up for email lists, making small purchases at certain stores, etc.

Device(s)
    Nexus 6P
    Carrier(s)
    H2O Wireless
    Feedback Score
    It's official. Tethering is allowed.

The Freedom Phone can be used as a hotspot, utilizing the phone’s tethering functionality. Go to the apps and scroll down to the yellow WiFi logo to enable tethering.

Carrier(s)
    At&t
    Feedback Score
    Even tethering allowed. the WiFi tether doesn't seem to work. You have to download barnacles for it to do WiFi. Bluetooth doesn't work on pda net unless u have jailbroken idevice or another android or computer with program. Bluetooth would be best option because of battery drain without charger, not finding an app yet that works.
    Mapping Central Illinois:
    RepublicWireless(Sprint)->
    Cricket(At&t)->
    Verizon Prepaid(no ex-data agreement)->
    T-Mobile (No true building penetration)

Device(s)
    HTC EVO Design 4g
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPoP
    Feedback Score
    Even tethering allowed. the WiFi tether doesn't seem to work. You have to download barnacles for it to do WiFi. Bluetooth doesn't work on pda net unless u have jailbroken idevice or another android or computer with program. Bluetooth would be best option because of battery drain without charger, not finding an app yet that works.
    I have no problem at all tethering the phone to my other two android phone, my Nook HD7 and Lenovo laptop. The phone shows AndroidTether. My other devices see this and connect to the phone easily. The Barnacles didn't work for me. FYI, my phone is not Sprint but USCC.

Carrier(s)
    At&t
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mrelyip View Post
    I have no problem at all tethering the phone to my other two android phone, my Nook HD7 and Lenovo laptop. The phone shows AndroidTether. My other devices see this and connect to the phone easily. The Barnacles didn't work for me. FYI, my phone is not Sprint but USCC.
    This thread is about the freedompop phone thats a custom profile htc evo 4G design.

Feedback Score
    This thread is about the freedompop phone thats a custom profile htc evo 4G design.
    I also have the freedom pop phone and I tethered to my lap top without any issue. It wasnt blazing fast but it did work.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by skydelta34 View Post
    I also have the freedom pop phone and I tethered to my lap top without any issue. It wasnt blazing fast but it did work.
    I'm sure it'll beat dialup The holidays are coming and that's the type of service my parents have, they live in a rural area.

Device(s)
    LG Ultimate 2 L41C, HTC Evo 4G, Photon Mifi
    Carrier(s)
    Pageplus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    The latest phone in their lineup is the HTC Evo 4g.

Not a bad phone, front facing camera and micro hdmi out.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

Carrier(s)
    At&t
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ShredFred View Post
    The latest phone in their lineup is the HTC Evo 4g.

Not a bad phone, front facing camera and micro hdmi out.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk
    do they provide u with the cord? if so how long is it?

Sent with the HoFo App

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast