Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Picture messaging - Straight Talk AT&T iPhone 5 ios 7

Feedback Score

Picture messaging - Straight Talk AT&T iPhone 5 ios 7

I recently switched to Straight Talk. I'm using an iPhone 5 with ios 7.0.2 on an unlocked AT&T phone. I've gone through setup via smartphonematters.com to allow for picture messaging and set up a new APN profile.

For a week all was well but today things went bonkers.

One, the internet stopped working outside of wifi. I would get the "Could not activate cellular data network. You are not subscribed to a cellular data service" message.

Two, I am unable to send picture messages to a phone that is not an iPhone. And my phone will not receive any picture messages from a phone that is not an iPhone.

I went back into the APN setting and reset the profile to tfdata. I tried using att.mvno and wap.tracfone but neither of those allowed me to use the internet. Once I switched back to tfdata I was able to get back onto the internet.

However, I'm still having the picture message issue. I can send to my other iPhone no problem. Even outside iMessage. But, when I try to send a picture message to a phone that is not an iPhone the picture message refuses to send. And, I still cannot receive picture messages from anyone using a phone that is not an iPhone.

Any suggestions? If this is a consistent problem I may switch back to another carrier. I don't like the idea of having to reset things every week or so just to get it to work right.

Sent with the HoFo App

Feedback Score
    Unfortunately dealing with random apn changes that screw with iphone usability is pretty common with ST. It's not as bad as it was, at one point I was having to do the sim swap every few weeks. It's not nearly that bad anymore but still, any update from AT&T or apple will reset some aspect of the apn's, usually breaking MMS.

Phones
    Nokia E71
    Nokia E71
    Iphone 3g
    Carriers
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rwx View Post
    I recently switched to Straight Talk. I'm using an iPhone 5 with ios 7.0.2 on an unlocked AT&T phone. I've gone through setup via smartphonematters.com to allow for picture messaging and set up a new APN profile.

For a week all was well but today things went bonkers.

One, the internet stopped working outside of wifi. I would get the "Could not activate cellular data network. You are not subscribed to a cellular data service" message.

Two, I am unable to send picture messages to a phone that is not an iPhone. And my phone will not receive any picture messages from a phone that is not an iPhone.

I went back into the APN setting and reset the profile to tfdata. I tried using att.mvno and wap.tracfone but neither of those allowed me to use the internet. Once I switched back to tfdata I was able to get back onto the internet.

However, I'm still having the picture message issue. I can send to my other iPhone no problem. Even outside iMessage. But, when I try to send a picture message to a phone that is not an iPhone the picture message refuses to send. And, I still cannot receive picture messages from anyone using a phone that is not an iPhone.

Any suggestions? If this is a consistent problem I may switch back to another carrier. I don't like the idea of having to reset things every week or so just to get it to work right.

Sent with the HoFo App
    with the iphone you might want to consider aio or gophone.iphones seams to work flawlessly with these two services. or you can tough it out till a jailbreak comes out.

Feedback Score
    So what you're saying is this is just something I'll have to live with unless I go with somebody else? Bummer.

No-contract, what do you mean by doing a SIM swap?

Can you touch on what you mean by APN changes from updates by ATT and/or Apple?

Thanks.

Sent with the HoFo App

Phone
    iPhone 6+
    Feedback Score
    Search this site or YouTube on how to do the sim swap on iOS 7. Basically you'll need to access the APN settings screen. The only way is to temporarily insert a non att SIM card. I used a simple mobile sim since it's 99 cents on eBay. Mms will work fine on ST, H20, Airvoice etc

Sent with the HoFo App
    Visit www.phonecheap.net for low calling call rates foreign and domestic.

Phone
    iPhone 6+
    Feedback Score
    Only AIO and gophone updates the APN automatically to get mms. Other att mvno sim doesn't have access to APN settings for mms unless you do the above mentioned sim swap. Note you do it once and it sticks.

Sent with the HoFo App

Feedback Score
    Interesting. I thought by going to the website I listed in my first post that it would set the APN settings (profile) for me so I didn't have to pull the SIM card? When I first got the phone I used a Tmobile SIM card in order to access the APN settings. If I do that again would ij just reenter the same information as before?

Sent with the HoFo App

Feedback Score
    Interesting. I thought by going to the website I listed in my first post that it would set the APN settings (profile) for me so I didn't have to pull the SIM card? When I first got the phone I used a Tmobile SIM card in order to access the APN settings. If I do that again would ij just reenter the same information as before?

Sent with the HoFo App
    yeah you would if you're still on the att.mvno apn...if you've reactivated your account for any reason, then you're on the new tfdata apn....so if you can successfully do a sim swap, then do iiiiiit. Side note, there was a thread a few weeks ago showing how to make the sim swap easier by using multitasking as you gain access to the apn settings. It allows your reaction time switching sims between phones to be a lot more relaxed.

Sent with the HoFo App on iPad 4

Feedback Score
    I can't remember off the top if it was att or tfdata. I ran with all this about 2 Fridays ago and used what was provided to me in the Straight Talk package.

I'll have to search for the multitasking feature and see how that all works.

Thanks guys

Just frustrating to have to do all this. It's not as seamless as I had anticipated.

Sent with the HoFo App

Feedback Score
    I can't remember off the top if it was att or tfdata. I ran with all this about 2 Fridays ago and used what was provided to me in the Straight Talk package.

I'll have to search for the multitasking feature and see how that all works.

Thanks guys

Just frustrating to have to do all this. It's not as seamless as I had anticipated.

Sent with the HoFo App
    Do not use the certificate from Straight Talk, it has an error in it. You cannot send/receive MMS, though everything else works. To fix it, delete the certificate from ST. Using a Tmobile sim:

Open the note app. Then hit the home button. Put your t-mobile sim card in... Go into settings>general>cellular>cellular data network... now doubletap the home button, go into the note app... at this point remove the t-mobile sim card, insert the ST sim card. Wait until you have service again. Now double tap the home button and go back into the settings app. It should have some stuff in the APN settings field. Edit the fields as follows:

APN: tfdata
    MMSC: http://mmsc.cingular.com
    mms proxy: mms2.tracfone.com:80

APN appears two places. When you scroll down to do the MMSC and proxy, the one at the top will go back to "phone". Just change it back to tfdata and do not scroll down again (be sure you have made the correct entries for MMSC and MMS PROXY)

Go back to Cellular tab, back to Settings tab, and turn Airplane mode off/on.
    When service comes back, your MMS should be working. I sent/received mms with an android phone no problem.

Feedback Score
    Well done, Larry. That seemed to do the trick. I am able to send picture messages to phones outside the iPhone. Thanks again.

Sent with the HoFo App

Phones
    iphone 5 locked
    Iphone 5 AT&T Locked
    Iphone 4s Locked AT&T
    Carriers
    ST
    ST
    Feedback Score
    Hi Larry. So will this work with my locked 4s iPhone And do I first delete the straight talk APN i got from unlockit?

Phones
    iphone 5 locked
    Iphone 5 AT&T Locked
    Iphone 4s Locked AT&T
    Carriers
    ST
    ST
    Feedback Score
    I tried this but it doesn't seem to work with my IPhone 4S . I'm using a simcard from ST I bought back in May and my phone is Not unlocked . I'm able to get into to change the APN and MMSC, MMS PROXY. Are these tfdata settings the correct for my sim, or am I suppose to use different ones for my old sim? Need some guidance on this. I noticed that even if I use your settings when I go back in there not there and have changed.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by car121 View Post
    I tried this but it doesn't seem to work with my IPhone 4S . I'm using a simcard from ST I bought back in May and my phone is Not unlocked . I'm able to get into to change the APN and MMSC, MMS PROXY. Are these tfdata settings the correct for my sim, or am I suppose to use different ones for my old sim? Need some guidance on this. I noticed that even if I use your settings when I go back in there not there and have changed.

You must have the older sim. Use the original att.mvno settings with that phone. You can go to www.unlockit.co.nz and download the old certificate or edit the APN with the old settings for that sim:
    NAME: Straight Talk
    APN: att.mvno

MMSC: http://mmsc.cingular.com
    MMS PROXY: 66.209.11.33:80

Your phone must be unlocked to edit APN manually.

Phones
    Nokia E71
    Nokia E71
    Iphone 3g
    Carriers
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    there are only 2 settings or apn's for st

New ST AT&T APN Settings

Cellular Data
    APN: tfdata
    Username: