Ascend Y, Proclaim, Ascend Plus
    Shorty, LG290C, VX5500, S380C, 235C, 440G
    401G
    Carriers
    America Movil, Virgin Mobile
    Page Plus
    Feedback Score

ZTE Awe-A Quick Review

Ok, longtime VM user here (back to the Shorty). I got 2 months of Net10 svc sitting in my drawer but couldn't resist trying these new phones lol. My area has had LTE all year although it is a narrower footprint than 3g. I don't get LTE at my home. In fact, ever since they "upgraded" to LTE I think my singal at my home has worsened. That is what forced me to go to America Movil's bullsh*t products. Anyway, thought I'd share some details on the ZTE Awe.

Pros: really LOUD external speaker, decent signal grabber, snappy response in Android, LED notification, physical camera button.

Cons: press to hold lock screen, call quality on the internal speaker is muffled a little. (But I have found this to be true with Sprint phones. To me, Verizon still dominates as far as call quality goes.)

I live in a low signal area. Most of the time my signal meter on the phone's display shows no bars. (Before the area "upgrade" to LTE I used to get 1-2 bars). So far I have not experienced "no service" and managed to have three phone calls and all were fine. Like I say above the exteranal speaker is loud and awesome!

I've done the usual google set up and installed a couple of apps. I am not a heavy app user (usually install about a dozen or so) nor am I a game player. Like I said, the phone is quite responsive.

As mentioned, the lock screen is kinda slow. You have to press and hold for a few seconds to unlock the device. I find it much more natural to flick or slide something but I will get used to it.

I did use the Accuradio app while driving around the countryside and streamed radio for about 15 minutes continuously with no drops. I have to say this is the first time I have never experienced a drop out. Don't know if was because of the app, the phone, or the network. In the years past, I have been lucky to get a whole song to play w/o dropping signal. Will test this further...

One thing that is a disappointment is this phone is missing some of the apps that are stock on the Tracfone ZTE phones. Like the Full Share & My Power apps. I have read about those in Turk's site and was interested in the Full Share. Seems to allow the phone to stream your content off your home pc. I want to try that (and get Verizon's network) but didn't want a 3.5" screen. The Awe must be doctored by Sprint. It doesn't have these two apps. Does anyone know of an app that will do this in the Play store?

In the past year or so I have tried and returned many phones: the Showtime, Optimus F3, Galaxy Victory, Huewai Ascend Y & Plus, etc. I would put the Awe up there near the top. The LG's I've had produced average volume and loud is important to me. Plus the F3 is so tiny. The Awe is just big enough to get a good grip on. I think the Awe is the 3g version of the Victory. Feels about the same and performance was just as good, if not snappier.

This ZTE experience has been so good, I may look into the Net10 version of the Savvy or Majesty next month. If I can find any reviews that is...

Phones
    401G
    Carriers
    Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    I forgot to mention that this phone comes with the Touchpal keyboard. Swype is the default but I quickly switched as I don't like swype that much. Touchpal is a new keyboard to me and I am liking it quite a bit. I need to learn all of its functions. It seems pretty useful and I am having fewer mistakes typing.

Phones
    blackberry 8320 sunset
    motorola i465
    Carriers
    tmobile
    Feedback Score
    I'm getting this phone for Christmas as a gift

Sent from my Event using Tapatalk now Free

Phones
    401G
    Carriers
    Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    I would like to add that after my 2nd charge the battery has lasted over 36 hours and is still at 50% I am a light user most of the time and have had wifi off. One phone call and a few texts, a couple minutes of browsing.

Feedback Score
    I got my ZTE Grand Memo V9815 N5[/URL] Smartphone, it's 5.7 Inch Android 4.1 Qualcomm APQ8064 Quad Core 1.5GHz 2GB 16GB.
    Amazing configuration. the look is also handsome.Name:  m1.jpg
Views: 16601
Size:  63.1 KB

Phones
    Chaser is my main, Rumor 2 as my backup...Samsung M535, the Arc, the Snapper, The Vox 8610
    Motorola v60i, Nokia 5180i (both retired after 2 years)
    Nokia 1221, Motorola v170
    Carriers
    Virgin Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    I gotta agree, the battery life on this one is great. I'm coming from the Chaser, (which, despite it's horrible ratings, wasn't a bad phone...) which needed to be charged after a few hours of non-use. I've used the AWE a lot more and the charge is still good by night time. The screen is bright and responsive and the camera takes good pix too. I'm really happy with this one... and I got it on sale to boot!

One question though... every so often I get this "tone"... a 2-note sound, like a notification type noise. It doesn't say what it means anywhere, but it happens all day long. I tried turning off everything, (wi-fi, bluetooth, GPS, and sync) but I still get "boop BOOP"... Can anyone tell me what the heck it's doing and how to make it stop?? I am beginning to find it most annoying...

Other than that, I'm really glad I got the AWE. An excellent phone so far!!
    "If it's for freeeeee, it's for meeeeeeeeeeeee!"

Phones
    401G
    Carriers
    Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    Sorry Jill-o, I haven't had anything like that on mine. How frequent are the noises?

Phones
    Chaser is my main, Rumor 2 as my backup...Samsung M535, the Arc, the Snapper, The Vox 8610
    Motorola v60i, Nokia 5180i (both retired after 2 years)
    Nokia 1221, Motorola v170
    Carriers
    Virgin Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    It varies. sometimes it could be hours before it happens, other times it's every few minutes...

Sent with the HoFo App

Phones
    401G
    Carriers
    Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    Just a follow up on this sweet phone. I've been using it for about 2 weeks and the phone is wonderful. Sprint service, however, has been terrible in my region all year. I'll most likely return the Awe because of this. However, I'm so impressed with ZTE that I want to get the Savvy or Majesty on Net10/ST.

I ran Ookla speedtest: first one was 310k download. About a week later ran it again and got 930k! There is a story about that. The Sprint network was down all night before that second test. I know because the phone kept displaying an "error: lost network connection" type warning in the notification drawer. I verified this with the browser as pages would not load. After a couple of hours, 3g was back on. And I got the higher speed. Who knows if it will last. I've had 3 VM phones this year and they worked great for a couple of days then went to sh*t for two weeks. If they ever finish Network Vision in my area then I might come back.

I ran Quadrant twice and got 4495 & 4857. Says it has Arm 7 rev 4 processor, 1.2Mhz, dual core and Adreno 305 graphics. Hope someone can comment on the graphics cause I don't know if that is good or not lol! I do know this is a good, loud and solid performing device. This is clearly one of the best prepaid phones I've ever owned. I couldn't believe how fast apps are installed from the Play store.

I now rank them above Huawei (with Kyocera being the worst on VM). Don't laugh the Ascend Plus is a good phone...I actually would choose this phone over the Optimus F3 as well.

Phones
    401G
    Carriers
    Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    Hey, I just watched a couple of reviews on Youtube for the Savvy & Majesty. They scored around 2500ish on Quadrant. Any ideas why my Awe scored so much higher? I also saw their graphics processors are Adreno 203 which I am guessing is not as good.

Carriers
    MetroPCS
    Feedback Score
    Got my Awe and I reallllly like it. Good battery life for this moderate user.

Phone
    Nexus⁴,Moto G
    Carriers
    T-Mo monthly4g, H2O
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by indyrunr89 View Post

I ran Quadrant twice and got 4495 & 4857. Says it has Arm 7 rev 4 processor, 1.2Mhz, dual core and Adreno 305 graphics. Hope someone can comment on the graphics cause I don't know if that is good or not lol! I do know this is a good, loud and solid performing device. This is clearly one of the best prepaid phones I've ever owned. I couldn't believe how fast apps are installed from the Play store.

I now rank them above Huawei (with Kyocera being the worst on VM). Don't laugh the Ascend Plus is a good phone...I actually would choose this phone over the Optimus F3 as well.
    The cpu and gpu are lower to mid range. It is a dual core snapdragon 400 cpu and an adreno 305 gpu. The cpu is one small step down from the optimus F3. So it is pretty good for a $99 device.
    LG Nexus⁴ -- Beanstalk Kit-Kat 4.4.4_r2 -- LTE + ART enabled
    Moto G ------- Stock KitKat -- 4.4.3 -- with ART
    Acer A100 -- GodDroid CM10 4.1.2 @1.5ghz
    Old: F3, Blaze 4g, SIII, OV, MT, Rise, Elite

Phones
    401G
    Carriers
    Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    Just an FYI, I ported to ST's ZTE Majesty. The Awe is clearly and noticeably better. Just wish I had decent Sprint signal in my area. I miss the Awe already.

Feedback Score
    Just got the Awe about 12 hours ago. Love it so far! quite a phone for $80 plus not having to upgrade to the $35 plan by activating it myself was a BIG bonus.

Feedback Score
    Just got it couple hours ago for 69.99 at KMART. YMMV

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast