Page 1 of 154 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 51 101 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 2304

Thread: Grandfathered plans being eliminated???

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    9,763
    Feedback Score
    0

    Grandfathered plans being eliminated???

    The three posts below were posted in the tzones sticky today suggesting that ALL grandfathered plans may be eliminated in the upcoming months.

    The first two are from someone who received a letter in the mail saying their plan is being changed.

    The third is copied from the comments section on tmonews by someone claiming to have inside information about this.

    If anyone has received letters that their will be changed by T-Mobile, please add it to this thread.

    Quote Originally Posted by billfor View Post
    The letter says "In November we'll be retiring your old rate plan and upgrading you to a new rate plan." Then there is a special number that I'm supposed to call if I have any questions. Doesn't seem like I'm being given any alternative. The letter just says if I choose to cancel my service I can do so without penality until 2/1/2014 - but I wasn't under any contract to begin with.

    Quote Originally Posted by billfor View Post
    I called the special number and they said they were just starting to get calls from people.

    He said they are migrating all grandfathered rate plans (I'm in the new york area). My 39.95 rate plan (600 minutes with free weekends) was very old and it was with $2.99 t-zones. They said they started sending out the letters at the end of September and I guess I'm one of their earlier customers so I got it first. He says it had nothing to do with exchanging my sim card a few weeks ago. The new plan is $45 Unlimited voice, text, 4G, but I think the speed drops after 500Mb.

    He says everybody else that is on the very old grandfathered rate plans will be migrated.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePhantom View Post
    This was mentioned by a commenter on tmonews.com, in the context of the Phase 3 rollout:

    http://www.tmonews.com/2013/10/t-mob...r-october-9th/


    Specifically, "Shhhhhhh" posted:

    "
    ALL customers, no matter how old or how cheap your plan is, will be force-migrated to a new Value Plan. Unlimited minutes will be the ONLY plan, with different pricing not available to customers unless being force-migrated. All legacy plans will be retired indefinitely, no migration fees for anyone on legacy plans, and your price may drop or increase when getting moved to the new plans. You will have until 2/1/2014 to cancel service with no termination fee should you not like the plan you will be forced to.

    Thankfully, single line Unlim Minute plans will start at just $20/MO vs the current $50 (again, not available to consumers, only those being force migrated, based on your specific needs). Once the force-migration finishes by December, it will be 100% Value or newest Classic with Bridge to Value as your only upgrade option, priced at the advertised rate, not the special price for forced-migrated customers.

    Last, deposits are 100% gone for new lines of service, regardless of credit score, but credit score will still determine down payment and EIP amounts for full priced phones.
    "

    and

    "
    ANYONE BEING FORCE-MIGRATED WILL RECEIVE SPECIAL, UNIQUE, AND/OR DISCOUNTED PRICING ON RATE PLANS; prices that are not advertised and will ONLY be available to current Tmobile customers being force-migrated.

    If you didn't like the price of the currently advertised Uncarrier plans, then consider this a blessing in disguise, as you will be able to get all the benefits of Uncarrier, at a monthly cost lower than what you see advertised today. Some will get more, save money, break even, and only in extreme cases of very old legacy plans with no features will you incur a price increase.

    To give you a detailed idea to ease your mind, currently there are over 350 different rate plans across all tmobile customers since they started in the USA many years ago. This transition will not bring those 350 down to just 1 plan (the plan you know of as the current Simple Choice Value Unlimited Everything $50/$30/$10). It will bring those 350 down to just 50. That's still 49 more options than you see advertised currently, to ensure everyone is happy with the cost and benefit of being 100% Uncarrier.

    Letters which detail the specialty pricing offered unique to your account(s) will be mailed October 10th for Family Plan rates, and Single Line letters have just been mailed already.

    Uncarrier for everyone! Get pumped! And look for your letter in the mail if youre on an old legacy plan to see what you can get! This is a great change!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    474
    Feedback Score
    0
    Thanks jet! I was able to make this thread myself.

    Same person also said the following:
    Quote Originally Posted by billfor View Post
    I called the special number and they said they were just starting to get calls from people.

    He said they are migrating all grandfathered rate plans (I'm in the new york area). My 39.95 rate plan (600 minutes with free weekends) was very old and it was with $2.99 t-zones. They said they started sending out the letters at the end of September and I guess I'm one of their earlier customers so I got it first. He says it had nothing to do with exchanging my sim card a few weeks ago. The new plan is $45 Unlimited voice, text, 4G, but I think the speed drops after 500Mb.

    He says everybody else that is on the very old grandfathered rate plans will be migrated. Maybe this is an attempt just to kill the old rate plans and not tzones?

    From the looks of it, it doesn't seem like a very good deal at all. Here is the link for the individual Simple Choice Plan - http://www.t-mobile.com/cell-phone-p...ndividual.html

    As you can see, unlimited talk + text + web (throttled after 500MB) is $50/month usually.
    The guy is paying $45/month, effectively only a $5 discount plus you get throttled after 500MB. Not that great to me...

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    474
    Feedback Score
    0
    The only thing positive that I can think of is this: theoretically, if people are able to cancel service without penalty, they can renew their grandfathered lines at Best Buy, Costco, Sam's Club, etc and grab phones for subsidized pricing, and then cancel without an early termination fee***. This is of course assuming lots of things and whether or not it's ethical

    ***this is assuming that T-mobile will allow you to cancel without penalty at the date suggested above

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Classified
    Posts
    9,917
    Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Very, very interesting. Not completely unexpected but I am (was?) very happy with my rate plan. So far only my five line FT500 plan and a relative's two line FT600 plan will be affected, as the rest of my friends/family are on Value or newer plans. I only use 200-300 minutes a month across all the lines including myFaves (not including off peak) so unlimited minutes never appealed to me.

    Oh well. LTE is great and as always, as consumers we are not obligated to give our money to T-Mobile if we're not happy. I am looking forward to being able to use any smartphone (I have T-Zones on three lines) but I need the same 4.5GB data package on my line, as opposed to the 500MB plan which is fine for the other lines.

    We should post what our current plans are and what T-Mobile is migrating us to. Right now my plan is $93.92 (not including Caller Name @ $2.99 x2) before corp discount and tax.

    EDIT: billfor posted a scan of his letter. It specifically states "unlimited 4G data" which would be a great deal. No asterisk about being throttled, and not the usual "unlimited data" term they use EXCEPT for their truly unlimited 4G plan. Interesting.
    Castrol EDGE 5W-30 is my drug of choice.

    Primary: iPhone 6 64GB, Galaxy Note 3, Lumia 635: 5 lines, 3x $5 Android web, 1x $2.99 T-Zones, corp discount + $10/mo loyalty discount = $93/mo tax inclusive
    Secondary: iPhone 4S & LG Ultimate 2: TracFone (Verizon)
    Tablet: iPad Mini Retina w/ T-Mobile 4G LTE ($10/mo for 5GB with hotspot)

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    NYC, NY
    Posts
    431
    Phone
    Treo 680P Unlocked, Nokia Nuron, Dash 3G
    Carrier
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    0
    Everyone please post the price and rate plan offered when you call that special #. Apparently system will choose one that closely matches our current usage, but when we call that # we can choose one of the other special rate plans.

    Sent with the HoFo App

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    255
    Phones
    iPhones
    iPhone 3GS
    Samsung Galaxy S 2
    Carriers
    T-mobile
    Telcel
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by MSalam11 View Post
    Everyone please post the price and rate plan offered when you call that special #. Apparently system will choose one that closely matches our current usage, but when we call that # we can choose one of the other special rate plans.
    Sent with the HoFo App
    I hope I get a letter but I have 4 lines on the value 1000k. I wouldn't mind getting switched to the simple choice with global.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    9,763
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by IsLand_BoY View Post
    EDIT: billfor posted a scan of his letter. It specifically states "unlimited 4G data" which would be a great deal. No asterisk about being throttled, and not the usual "unlimited data" term they use EXCEPT for their truly unlimited 4G plan. Interesting.
    Here's the letter:



    If it is unthrottled and they are essentially offering the $70 plan for only $45 per month, that would be excellent.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    320
    Phone
    iPhone 5
    Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    I wonder how those customers with grandfathered plans (like myself) who also have an @home line will be affected as I hope T-Mobile continues to support this service.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Classified
    Posts
    9,917
    Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by nyctechogirl View Post
    I wonder how those customers with grandfathered plans (like myself) who also have an @home line will be affected as I hope T-Mobile continues to support this service.
    It's essentially just an added line with unlimited minutes. An extra line on a plan with unlimited voice would accomplish the same thing.


    Sent from my iPhone 5

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    320
    Phone
    iPhone 5
    Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by IsLand_BoY View Post
    It's essentially just an added line with unlimited minutes. An extra line on a plan with unlimited voice would accomplish the same thing.


    Sent from my iPhone 5
    Thanks for your reply! I have the individual $39.99 1000 minutes plus unlimited nights and weekend plan as well as the @home line, so I hope this line will be incorporated into the plan that will be offered to me by T-Mobile.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Classified
    Posts
    9,917
    Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by nyctechogirl View Post
    Thanks for your reply! I have the individual $39.99 1000 minutes plus unlimited nights and weekend plan as well as the @home line, so I hope this line will be incorporated into the plan that will be offered to me by T-Mobile.
    Ah, I didn't think about you having an individual plan + @Home. I would imagine they'd offer you a two line family plan with unlimited voice but I have no idea. I have @Home service too, though it's just pooled with my family plan. I bought a spare router AND @Home adapter just in case since they're going to be hard to find later.

    I am very curious what they'll offer everyone. Supposedly those with individual lines should already be receiving their letters and those of us with family plans will be receiving them shortly.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    The 909, Southern California
    Posts
    9,816
    Phone
    Android
    Carriers
    -T--Mobile USA|Get More
    Feedback Score
    0
    I'm sure I will get bumped. Will keep an eye out in this months next bill.

    Hope T-Zones still gets unlimited at around $5-$10 past voice. I have 4 lines so this better carry over.

    Sent from my Nexus 4

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    320
    Phone
    iPhone 5
    Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by IsLand_BoY View Post
    Ah, I didn't think about you having an individual plan + @Home. I would imagine they'd offer you a two line family plan with unlimited voice but I have no idea. I have @Home service too, though it's just pooled with my family plan. I bought a spare router AND @Home adapter just in case since they're going to be hard to find later.

    I am very curious what they'll offer everyone. Supposedly those with individual lines should already be receiving their letters and those of us with family plans will be receiving them shortly.

    I agree with you that T-Mobile might offer me a two-line family plan with unlimited voice as I was going to add the $15 BTV data credit and the $5BTV voice credit (as offered by the retentions department since I have two lines)) very shortly to my account.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    1,253
    Feedback Score
    0
    If they're giving you a special price, they're still grandfathering your situation. But, what they want to do is shoehorn it better into their existing business model.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Gulf Coast
    Posts
    8,827
    Phones
    Moto G
    Samsung Galaxy S3
    Moto G, Lumian 925
    Carriers
    T-Mobile
    TelnaMobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    This will be interesting. I may have the oldest grandfathered plan around. My base plan has been unchanged since 1997. If I'm forced to change, I'm not sure if I'll stick with T-Mobile or jump to a MVNO.
    Donald Newcomb

Page 1 of 154 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 51 101 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 15
    Last Post: 11-17-2010, 04:42 PM
  2. Charter Plans being grandfathered ?
    By chefwong in forum AT&T
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 02-01-2004, 12:06 AM
  3. FT: Rogers grandfather plan
    By surrealillusion in forum GSM phone Buy/Sell/Trade
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 08-17-2003, 12:27 PM
  4. Samsung A530 being eliminated?
    By Gill in forum Verizon Wireless
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 04-25-2003, 02:58 PM
  5. Samsung A530 being eliminated?
    By Gill in forum Verizon Wireless
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-24-2003, 12:59 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks