Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: T-Mobile's LTE Network to Cover 50 million POPS less than Sprint at Completion

Phones
    iPhone 5S
    Galaxy Nexus
    BlackBerry Curve, 8830
    Carriers
    at&t, Verizon
    Sprint
    Feedback Score

T-Mobile's LTE Network to Cover 50 million POPS less than Sprint at Completion

T-Mobile, whose LTE network currently covers around 202 million POPs, plans to top out its LTE coverage at around 225 million people

Read more: T-Mobile plans LTE coverage of around 225M POPs - FierceWireless http://www.fiercewireless.com/story/...#ixzz2hiOfEOEO
    Subscribe at FierceWireless
    The good news, if there is any, is that Ray also said:

The plan is for T-Mobile to focus on increasing the density of its existing network, as well as to employ the spectrum it has gained from the MetroPCS acquisition. The idea is that the higher density network and extra spectrum will yield a faster connection.
    Increasing the current density will be a great thing and will hopefully result in a more consistent wireless experience (with fewer SOS-only areas).

But, this puts T-Mobile as the carrier with the tiniest LTE footprint plan. Sprint's native network covers 280 million POPS and the entire network is being upgraded to LTE. And, AT&T recently confirmed they will have just over 300 million POPs by next summer, and Verizon is already past 300 million POPs.

Verizon's 4G network.

I live in California, not New York. I actually dislike New York.

Phone
    iPhone 6 64GB, iPad Air 32GB
    Carrier
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by newyork4me View Post

Increasing the current density will be a great thing and will hopefully result in a more consistent wireless experience (with fewer SOS-only areas).

But, this puts T-Mobile as the carrier with the tiniest LTE footprint plan. Sprint's native network covers 280 million POPS and the entire network is being upgraded to LTE. And, AT&T recently confirmed they will have just over 300 million POPs by next summer, and Verizon is already past 300 million POPs.
    I think DT is offering more bonds for T-Mobile USA to borrow and pay back in 2020, if they do get these bonds this could change that easily. If T-Mobile only covers 225million they will be 4million short of HSPA pops covered.

^HSPA+ 42mbps---------------------------------------------- ^LTE

Phone
    Android
    Carriers
    -T--Mobile USA|Get More
    Feedback Score

Sprint also said it would have major markets online years before they officially launched. They blamed massive delays on birds....clearly a incompetent company thats good about lying.

I will belive Sprint's network deployment AFTER it actually gets deployed. With Sprint; its all talk...

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-575...e-with-4g-lte/

http://www.engadget.com/2012/07/26/s...e-delay-birds/

Phone
    Nexus 5, LG G2, S4T
    Carriers
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Antenna View Post

Sprint also said it would have major markets online years before they officially launched. They blamed massive delays on birds....clearly a incompetent company thats good about lying.

I will belive Sprint's network deployment AFTER it actually gets deployed. With Sprint; its all talk...

You try working on a tower with a threatened or endangered species nesting on it and see what the federal government does to you.

Also the engineering maps I and others have access to beg to differ...
    Sprint 2.5ghz TD-LTE

Phone
    Android
    Carriers
    -T--Mobile USA|Get More
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by lilotimz View Post
    You try working on a tower with a threatened or endangered species nesting on it and see what the federal government does to you.

Funny Sprint only used the bird excuse once. Birds migrate, so it should have caused problems this year as well, and for other carriers like Verizon who managed to deploy LTE in the same areas in a more timely fashion.

Also there are no endangered species nesting in cell towers in Southern California, yet Sprint still has delays.

It was an excuse, and a very funny, and pathetic one at that!

Phone
    iPhone 5s
    Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    These threads are getting old fast. This is same plan T-mobile has been executing to every since announcing the LTE deployment contracts with Ericsson and NSN. Go read the quotes from Neville, he's talking about the current plan. Again, no discussion about anything after that.

To the other poster - The bonds that T-mobile sold were to "transfer" the T-mobile US debt off of DT's balance sheets onto that of TMUS (one of the main reasons why TMUS is now public). That has also been part of the plan all along. T-mobile has indicated that they will be seeking to delever the company in the coming years.

Carrier
    Sprint via RingPlus
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    That's not bad. That's all their 3G/4G coverage apart from the recent rural 4 million that they upgraded from 2G to 3G/4G. If they continue doing that to rural cities and highways, they'll be fine. No point in putting LTE where the backhaul isn't that good. T-Mobile 3G/4G is often faster than Sprint LTE.

Sprint should focus on not coming up last place on almost every RootMetrics comparison, some day turning a profit, and preventing customer losses.

In the end, the success of both Sprint and T-Mobile benefits all consumers. We need them both to add more customers than Verizon/AT&T so they can grow their marketshare. Attacking each other is silly.
    Past providers: Page Plus, AT&T, T-Mobile, Virgin, Straight Talk
    Past phones: Nokia 820, Motorola Atrix HD, iPhone 4S, HTC One V, iPhone 4, Nokia Lumia 900, Nokia N9, Samsung Focus, Samsung Captivate, Nokia N900, HTC 8525, iPhone 3GS, iPhone, Nokia E61i, Siemens A56...

Carriers
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by lilotimz View Post

If Sprint had been a decent and competent engineering staff they would already have had the underlying infrastructure in place, instead they had to make up some stupid NV plan to make them look like they are actually doing something, when in fact all they are doing is just CATCHING UP. And they can't even do that.

Besides the fact they SHARE a lot of the cell site space, there isn't any excuse for their pathetic A** network everywhere else. There aren't endangered birds on all 40,000 cell sites..

Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Volaris View Post
    Sprint should focus on not coming up last place on almost every RootMetrics comparison, some day turning a profit, and preventing customer losses.
    You don't want much, do you?

Phone
    iPhone 5S Gold
    Carrier
    Verizon, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Antenna View Post

I guess someone isn't tracking the TD-LTE buildout. This isn't old Sprint, this is SoftBank Sprint.

There's already a lot of TD-LTE sites online and ready to go. 6000 by year's end.

Meanwhile, Sprint rural areas will have Nextel spectrum for LTE and T-Mobile's rural areas will be.... good luck with that.

I'll just say that in my neck of the woods, things started moving a lot faster once SoftBank money started pouring in.

Phone
    LG G2 (T-Mobile), iPhone 5S (Verizon)
    Carriers
    T-Mobile
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    This is indeed great news, if true. I'd still be with T-Mobile for my work phone today, if I could actually get service in the buildings I work in!

Sent from a device on a network.

Feedback Score
    People using Sprint in Nashville have literally had unusable service for a year if not more.

I hope T-Mobile does increase cell density and focus on metro/large urban areas. I recently switched to them in Nashville and their 4g LTE Service is terrific here and in the surrounding suburbs. My 4g LTE speeds are faster than Verizon and my ping times are around 25ms.

And when I don't get LTE, such as deep in a building, I'm still pulling around 10mbps down with HSPA+... Again, more than I got with Verizon.

And this is a 10mhz market I believe...so I'm not going to see the speeds some of you all do.

The negative, of course, is once I leave the city I know I'm pretty much SOL... Luckily I can count on one hand the number of times I have in the past 5 years.

Los Angeles - San Diego, CA / St. Albans, VT
    Phones
    RIM BlackBerry Q10
    Apple iPhone 5S
    Samsung Galaxy S4
    Carriers
    Pacific Bell Wireless / T-Mobile USA / MetroPCS
    Telcel MX
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Volaris View Post
    That's not bad. That's all their 3G/4G coverage apart from the recent rural 4 million that they upgraded from 2G to 3G/4G. If they continue doing that to rural cities and highways, they'll be fine. No point in putting LTE where the backhaul isn't that good. T-Mobile 3G/4G is often faster than Sprint LTE.
    But by the same token, backhaul doesn't do Sprint squat if they're still using Nortel, Motorola, and Lucent gear or the other legacy junk used on the towers. It may help with EVDO but it doesn't do anything with the fact that CDMA is a dead end technology and that Sprint needs to catch up FAST with AT&T and Verizon Wireless. I don't know why Sprint choose to install the eNbs and antennas first (depending on the "build") before the backhaul and underlying infrastructure, but the end result is the same. To have a competitor that has a realistic chance of competing against AT&T and Verizon Wireless.

Sprint cannot survive any longer with the equipment they have been running since they decided to merge and keep Nextel.

As a matter of fact, I can start blasting at T-Mobile for installing stuff from almost a decade ago for a network that's only 3-4 years old. Forget about backhaul because the stuff they installed can only support up to a T-1/E-1. T-Mobile probably could have a expanded HSPA+ network in rural areas on the cheap if they had used ZTE or Huawei Node Bs in the meantime instead of paying for yesterdays equipment.
    Last edited by i0wnj00; 10-15-2013 at 02:34 AM.

Phones
    White Galaxy S5 & White iPhone 6
    LG G-Flex, Nexus 4, Nexus 5
    Carrier
    T-Mobile & AT&T
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Sprint's LTE will see completion when?!
    I estimate a good 3x delay after when they say it will be complete just like every other timeframe they've set.
    Google+
    Happy T-Mobile Customer since '09
    Content AT&T Customer since '12

Phone
    LG G3, Sony Xperia Z Ultra
    Carrier
    T-Mobile Simple Plan 4 lines (unlimited on one and 2.5GB sharing on another) $130 | 4.5GB MBB
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (Samsung Galaxy Nexus: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X 10_6_3; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.16 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0 Safari/533.16)

Sprint's LTE in NYC is a joke.
    Come to corp store in Broadway (financial area) and Fulton Street (Downtown Brooklyn) and see it yourself.

Optimum/Cablevision

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast