Thread: Tracfone Android Data Plan Ad-on Costs

Feedback Score

Thumbs down Tracfone Android Data Plan Ad-on Costs

I'd like to see Tracfone lower the cost of the data cards for the android phones.

$50 for 2GB is pretty steep. That's $25 per gb. That's got to be the highest per cost GB i've encountered
    in the mobile phone industry.

I'd even bite at 2GB for $30 perhaps..........

300 for $10?
    750 for $20?
    2GB for $50?

I used GoPhone for years, similar pricing strategy... 1GB was $20.

Anyone from Tracfone Exec Staff that can justify the current pricing strategy on those current plans? I realize these plans are cash cows for Tracfone right now as their first androids are popular, but the pricing is out of line.

Feedback Score
    I have a Sprint 3G Hotspot thru FreedomPop.......(the device was basically $14.99). these plans seem reasonable. I'd just rather add it to the phone and use the phone instead of lugging around another device to connect to the internet. I currently use the 19.99 plan for 2GB which serves me plenty per month.. Surely VERIZON could cut Tracfone a better deal. I know other MVNO's that allow 20GB on Verizon for $70...... Guess I will just keep the hotspot until tracfone lowers the data card prices..

500mb = $4.99
    2GB = $19.99
    3GB = $28.99
    4GB = $34.99
    5GB = $39.99
    10GB = 89.99

Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Easy - that's the price you pay for having unused data that does not expire at the end of every month/billing cycle. Same goes for the price per minute. América Móvil is very, very smart about having multiple brands to satisfy a magnitude of usage patterns while maximizing profit. They'll get $ from light data users on TracFone, and they have their other brands for those who need unlimited voice/text/data.

Page Plus charges $0.99 per megabyte and Airvoice charges $0.066. Even at AV's rates, that's nearly $70 per GB. Again, just the price you pay for pay as you go. I find TracFone's rates very reasonable and with the wide availability of WiFi these days, I can see where one could add a 2GB card and be set for the year.
    Castrol EDGE 5W-30 is my drug of choice.

Primary: iPhone 5S, Galaxy S4, & LG L90: 5 lines, 1x $15 5GB data, 2x $5 Android web, 1x $2.99 T-Zones, corp discount + $10/mo loyalty discount = $93/mo tax inclusive
    Secondary: iPhone 4 & Optimus Dynamic II: TracFone (Verizon); Galaxy Epic: RingPlus (Sprint)
    Tablet: iPad Mini Retina w/ T-Mobile 4G LTE

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by IsLand_BoY View Post
    Easy - that's the price you pay for having unused data that does not expire at the end of every month/billing cycle. Same goes for the price per minute. América Móvil is very, very smart about having multiple brands to satisfy a magnitude of usage patterns while maximizing profit. They'll get $ from light data users on TracFone, and they have their other brands for those who need unlimited voice/text/data.

Page Plus charges $0.99 per megabyte and Airvoice charges $0.066. Even at AV's rates, that's nearly $70 per GB. Again, just the price you pay for pay as you go. I find TracFone's rates very reasonable and with the wide availability of WiFi these days, I can see where one could add a 2GB card and be set for the year.
    Tracfone user using 2GB per year is indeed a "light user"......
    I was never complaining about Tracfon's minutes, it works for me.
    Yea, they have Straighttalk and Net10 which offer monthly plans... BTW, "unlimited data" is capped to 2.5GB per month, then throttled.

Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by greg4android View Post
    Tracfone user using 2GB per year is indeed a "light user"......
    I was never complaining about Tracfon's minutes, it works for me.
    Yea, they have Straighttalk and Net10 which offer monthly plans... BTW, "unlimited data" is capped to 2.5GB per month, then throttled.
    I know you're not complaining about the pricing of minutes, but I'm saying the same principle applies to data. You pay more for the privilege of being able to carry it over. I completely agree that lower data prices would be nicer but let's not forget that AM is a business.

Carriers
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I'd like to see them come out with texting cards for people like me who like to text more often.

Sent with the HoFo App

Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by extremeuser View Post
    I'd like to see them come out with texting cards for people like me who like to text more often.

Sent with the HoFo App
    I agree, not everyone uses everything in even amounts. In fact, I bet most don't. I definitely don't.

Carriers
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Yeah, I rarely use my talk minutes. I hope they start noticing that some people prefer to text more and come out with them.

Feedback Score
    The Android Trend is new for Tracfone. They'll probably adjust their packages as the trends change.

I'll just use my phone for talking. Still can't beat the value that Tracfone gives there.....

Sprint had a Galaxy Tab 3.0 7-inch for $49 just now with 2GB for $15. Grabbed one of them for my internet needs when not at home.

Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by greg4android View Post
    The Android Trend is new for Tracfone. They'll probably adjust their packages as the trends change.

I'll just use my phone for talking. Still can't beat the value that Tracfone gives there.....

Sprint had a Galaxy Tab 3.0 7-inch for $49 just now with 2GB for $15. Grabbed one of them for my internet needs when not at home.
    Funny you mention that, I was just looking at it. Plus there's a promo code (MOBILE50) for a $50 statement credit. I was just going to take the $5 plan and look at it as a heavily discounted tablet with interest free financing over the life of the contract, and use it on WiFi or hook it up to my T-Mobile phone hotspot. 2GB for $15 is a great deal, but no LTE in my area yet and 3G is pretty pathetic.

*with the smallest data plan, the tablet comes to $5/mo = $120 + monthly taxes (10-15% of the bill) including waived activation fee and $50 statement credit. WiFi model is $199 which has inferior specs to the cell equipped model which retails for $299.

EDIT: Okay, just ordered a Galaxy Tab 3 on Sprint with the $5/mo plan. I may upgrade the data plan later (plan to use it on WiFi only) once LTE launches in my area. Otherwise, $120 + tax over 2 years for a nice tablet is a good deal any which way you look at it.
    Last edited by IsLand_BoY; 10-16-2013 at 01:24 AM.

Feedback Score
    Yeah, MOBILE50(on the order summary, it shows PROM50) is a bill credit............Yeah, good deal. Couldn't resist that one.

Feedback Score
    using MOBILE50 appeared at PROM50 on the order summary.... HOWEVER, in the email order detail/summary, this "bill credit" wasn't shown.....since we paid up front for the tabs. Is our account going to show a CREDIT BALANCE until the monthly data plan charge comes out? I got a funny feelling we're going to have to fight for this "promo bill credit".

Quote Originally Posted by IsLand_BoY View Post
    Funny you mention that, I was just looking at it. Plus there's a promo code (MOBILE50) for a $50 statement credit. .