Phones
    iPhone 5c, Samsung Galaxy S3, Samsung Galaxy Note 2, iPhone 4S, Nexus 4,
    BlackBerry Bold 9900
    Carrier
    Koodo
    Feedback Score

TELUS Shutting Down CDMA Network in 2015

http://mobilesyrup.com/2013/10/17/te...twork-in-2015/

I didn't think it would be this early but I did see it coming.

Sent with the HoFo App

Feedback Score
    Got an email from telus saying my current CDMA phone won't be supported past 31 March 14.

Feedback Score
    While the article does mention a quote about aiming to shut down the entire CDMA network in 2015, it says nothing about the shutdown of the core digital CDMA and 1x for voice and data services in 2014. It only mentions shut down of the EVDO part of the network in parts of Alberta and BC in March. As EVDO is only part of the CDMA network, CDMA services should still work in those locations ater the the March 31, 2014 date, just minus the EVDO component of it.

Carrier
    TELUS Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry Q10: Mozilla/5.0 (BB10; Kbd) AppleWebKit/537.10+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/10.1.0.4633 Mobile Safari/537.10+)

Quote Originally Posted by Positive Climb
    http://mobilesyrup.com/2013/10/17/te...twork-in-2015/

I didn't think it would be this early but I did see it coming.

Sent with the HoFo App
    The image in that link shows March 2014. Wow, much sooner than I thought too. I've been on my dad's case to upgrade his 8330 for a long time, but I guess he'll be forced into it soon anyway!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
    Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry Q10: Mozilla/5.0 (BB10; Kbd) AppleWebKit/537.10+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/10.1.0.4633 Mobile Safari/537.10+)

The image in that link shows March 2014. Wow, much sooner than I thought too. I've been on my dad's case to upgrade his 8330 for a long time, but I guess he'll be forced into it soon anyway!
    Clearly, there will be a forced upgrade but it might not be in March. I interpret the the screen capture on the Mobile Syrup site as meaning that your dad will still be able to use data services on the 1x network at slower speeds, but then in the text of the article, Telus seems to give contradictory information in the quotes about upgrading to avoid possible service disruptions (which could hint at some customers getting cut off in March).

Carrier
    TELUS Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry Q10: Mozilla/5.0 (iPad; CPU OS 7_0_2 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/537.51.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0 Mobile/11A501 Safari/9537.53)

Ah, I see the article that accompanies it now. Didn't load properly on my phone at first.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Only evdo will be shutdown on the cdma network... in bc and ab... expet calgary edmonton vancouver and some others city in march 31 2014. In others province is unclear for the moment because many tower are bell...mts etc...
    Voice and data will continue in 1x... some people say the rest of the cdma network will be shutdown at the end of 2015... some people say the cdma network will continue until verizon shutdown their cdma network...
    Answer in the next years

Sent from my Q10

Feedback Score
    could you guys please sign the petition - to save EVDO/CDMA from shutting down - please do not flame me as I spent a lot of money for CDMA products from telus last year for several non profit organizations... and my own personal stuff too.

change.org/en-CA/petitions/telus-communications-inc-do-not-shutdown-3g-cdma-network-alberta-bc

Quote Originally Posted by thund3rbay View Post
    Only evdo will be shutdown on the cdma network... in bc and ab... expet calgary edmonton vancouver and some others city in march 31 2014. In others province is unclear for the moment because many tower are bell...mts etc...
    Voice and data will continue in 1x... some people say the rest of the cdma network will be shutdown at the end of 2015... some people say the cdma network will continue until verizon shutdown their cdma network...
    Answer in the next years

Sent from my Q10

Carrier
    TELUS Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry Q10: Mozilla/5.0 (BB10; Kbd) AppleWebKit/537.35+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/10.2.0.1791 Mobile Safari/537.35+)

No disrespect intended, but no petition is going to save the CDMA/EVDO network. It wouldn't make economical sense to maintain it indefinitely. The HSPA network launched 4 years ago; eventually they're going to have to pull the plug. I personally support the decommissioning of it as it frees up bandwidth for the HSPA and LTE networks where most of the traffic is.

Where are you located and what specific hardware have you invested in?

Feedback Score
    honestly too much - especially for my clients - over 100 CDMA mobile data terminals. nearly two dozen motorola m800 bag phones all over southern Alberta.......

Phones
    Samsung Galaxy S3/SW USB AC319U aircard+cradlepoint router
    -> Samsung A540 -> Moto Razr V3C -> BB 7130e -> BB 8830 -> BB 9630 -> Galaxy S3
    Sony CM-B1207 Clearnet PCS -> Sanyo 4000 -> Nokia 6188 ->
    Carriers
    Telus Mobility/ "Tablet 5" + 2 "Share 30 Faves"
    Feedback Score
    Bagphones? Why?

When the shutdown comes, Telus will make you an offer to exchange that hardware for something that works on HSPA.

And at 100+ devices you are a strategic account and have a dedicated Telus rep to complain to if they don't give you what you want.
    Clearnet Digital PCS

We think everyone should be able to afford a wireless phone. That's why we were the first wireless company in North America to offer pay-by-the-second airtime, and why we don't charge an activation fee. NO scary contract to sign. Immediate national coverage. And a 30-day satisfaction guarantee. Yes, it's finally time to get a wireless phone.
    f u t u r e . f r i e n d l y™

Best viewed with Netscape 3.0 at 800 x 600 resolution.

Phone
    Nexus of sorts.
    Feedback Score
    I assume the plan would be to convert existing CDMA sites to HSPA/LTE once the shutdown occurs? If so, bring it on - I can see a TELUS CDMA tower from my deck and I might finally get decent coverage in my neighbourhood.

Phone
    Blackberry 9700 Bold, Blackberry 9800 Torch
    Carriers
    Bell Mobility
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
    Where are you located and what specific hardware have you invested in?
    Well Northern ON many users have the Sanyo 10-4 or Samsung Rugby style phone
    HSPA coverage is piss poor up there
    It is sad I need to state the obvious but some people just don't get it. Any posts I make are my own OPINIONS and in no way represent the views of my employer

Feedback Score
    I'm still waiting for a Rogers STYLE coverage (with full partnership with MTS) of Northern Ontario. Oh and finish the coverage from the Saskatchewan border to Southern Ontario. Come on, Canada's a developed country, there should be FULL Bell/Telus UMTS/HSPA+ coverage from Vancouver to Halifax! PLEASE pull an AT&T and get your coverage going!

Phones
    Galaxy Note 2
    Galaxy Note 2
    Nexus One
    Carriers
    1-800-bloodbath-mobility
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by willzzz View Post
    I'm still waiting for a Rogers STYLE coverage (with full partnership with MTS) of Northern Ontario. Oh and finish the coverage from the Saskatchewan border to Southern Ontario. Come on, Canada's a developed country, there should be FULL Bell/Telus UMTS/HSPA+ coverage from Vancouver to Halifax! PLEASE pull an AT&T and get your coverage going!
    That costs money, why should they spend more than what they can get away with?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast