Thread: AT&T vs. other mvno's on latency, capped download speeds

Feedback Score

AT&T vs. other mvno's on latency, capped download speeds

Trying out AT&T GoPhone this month. I have to say that I am happy with the LTE download speeds in Lafayette, but the network here is pretty congested so at peak times it is not as fast. Think 5mbps vs 30mbps. But I am impressed by the low ping numbers and much faster data than i got with my previous provider. It is more expensive, and I had to program my APN myself because I'm running a custom rom on my S3, but I am impressed.

I know that AIO is capped at 8mbps download speed. Are all the other MVNOs like Straight Talk, Net10 and AirVoice also limited to 8mbps download speeds? Do they suffer from higher latency?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Louisiana84 View Post
    Trying out AT&T GoPhone this month. I have to say that I am happy with the LTE download speeds in Lafayette, but the network here is pretty congested so at peak times it is not as fast. Think 5mbps vs 30mbps. But I am impressed by the low ping numbers and much faster data than i got with my previous provider. It is more expensive, and I had to program my APN myself because I'm running a custom rom on my S3, but I am impressed.

I know that AIO is capped at 8mbps download speed. Are all the other MVNOs like Straight Talk, Net10 and AirVoice also limited to 8mbps download speeds? Do they suffer from higher latency?
    I just posted in the thread above, about the same issues...ST isn't much cheaper than gophone and I must say that there have been latency issues every night for the past week or so. Ping times close to 1000ms and almost no data from around 9pm-12am on weekends especially and weeknights too from 9:30pm to 11:30pm...it's obvious that mvno users are being pushed down the line and slowed down to make way for regular att customers and their traffic. Like I said in the other posts, the gophone refills are so cheap that it's close to the expense of ST...I might switch one day soon.

Sent with the HoFo app on iPhone 5S

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the quick reply and honest assessment. Now I just need to find those cheap pins...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Carrier(s)
    GoPhone (x2)
    Feedback Score
    "AT&T vs. other mvno's"

GoPhone is not an mvno.
    It is completely owned and operated by AT&T.

Where do people get these ideas?

Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dougeeebear View Post
    "AT&T vs. other mvno's"

GoPhone is not an mvno.

what I don't know, I make it up as I go along, then I will make myself believe that what I said is true.
    iPhone 6S Plus 128GB RGD, N66mAP
    Samsung SM-T815 Galaxy Tab S2 9.7 LTE
    Samsung SM-N910A Galaxy Note 4

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dougeeebear View Post
    "AT&T vs. other mvno's"

GoPhone is not an mvno.

I am heartily sorry if I have offended your fragile sensibilities with my ignorant pre-caffeinated posting. Of course, I know that GoPhone isn't an MVNO. I hereby humbly request your forgiveness, and promise to amend my ways and to avoid the near occasion of sin. Amen.

Sent with the HoFo App

Carrier(s)
    GoPhone (x2)
    Feedback Score
    I am heartily sorry if I have offended your fragile sensibilities with my ignorant pre-caffeinated posting. Of course, I know that GoPhone isn't an MVNO. I hereby humbly request your forgiveness, and promise to amend my ways and to avoid the near occasion of sin. Amen.

Sent with the HoFo App
    You're welcome.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile att vz
    Feedback Score
    I think att gophone is a great choice overall.
    Sent from my RM-915_nam_usa_228 via the HowardForums WP7 App
    "Sent from my busted phone"

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by johnhere View Post
    I think att gophone is a great choice overall.
    Sent from my RM-915_nam_usa_228 via the HowardForums WP7 App
    I am beginning to think that, in spite of the slightly higher price, GoPhone offers more bang for the buck in terms of overall customer satisfaction. No one complains about anything other than price.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s, Droid Turbo 2, Galaxy S4
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon & Cricket
    Feedback Score
    I am beginning to think that, in spite of the slightly higher price, GoPhone offers more bang for the buck in terms of overall customer satisfaction. No one complains about anything other than price.
    You pay more for a premium product and AT&T has probably out-done all the rest in prepaid right now. Those that loudly complain about price (sure we all want to pay less) must be the ultimate cheapskate and should go to Straight Talk or some bargain basement MVNO. 54.00 a month (with discounts) for unlimited talk and text, 2GB of data which has no proxy server with postpaid speeds and the ability to buy more @ 10.00 per GB is a steal in my book.

Sprint AYG, great pricing but currently lousy handset selections.

Boost and Virgin Mobile, once again good plans, Sprints native network (which is fine for many) but yet again, limited handset selections.

Verizon, 3G only as well as under-performing handsets.

T-Mobile, good plans, great unrestricted handset selections but by far an inferior network nationwide. They are OK if you don't leave the major cities but heaven forbid if you travel. There are so many areas of EDGE/GPRS as well as plenty of no service areas.

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by billm261 View Post
    You pay more for a premium product and AT&T has probably out-done all the rest in prepaid right now. Those that loudly complain about price (sure we all want to pay less) must be the ultimate cheapskate and should go to Straight Talk or some bargain basement MVNO. 54.00 a month (with discounts) for unlimited talk and text, 2GB of data which has no proxy server with postpaid speeds and the ability to buy more @ 10.00 per GB is a steal in my book.
    I agree. One huge selling point is that you can use the "Mark the Spot" app with GoPhone. In the handful of instances I've come across some network trouble, I was able to quickly and easily report it through that app, and AT&T has addressed the issue very quickly and provided a follow-up. That app does not work with MVNO's (the reports appear to just fall into a hole somewhere and silently die). Idunno, it's just that little extra thing that goes a long way to improving the experience.

Device(s)
    Nexus 4
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T GoPhone
    Feedback Score
    disclaimer: this post may be slightly off-topic, but it does offer my opinion of and experience with my att gophone service.

i just switched (within the past week or so) from tmo pre-paid (via solavei) to att gophone. while my coverage is more consistent with att, the speeds on tmo were soooo much better. granted, i'm running a nexus 4 (without the lte hack) so i'm comparing the two network's hspa speeds, but i just didn't expect such a stark contrast. i had always heard that att's hspa speeds were pathetic, but i figured by this time as more and more users are migrating to lte devices, maybe their hspa network congestion would drop off a bit.

boy was i wrong.

the absolute best speeds i can pull are roughly 5Mbps down, but that's only on a good day in just the right spot. most often i'm pulling only around 1-3Mbps. uploads are never more than roughly 1Mbps no matter where i am. with tmo, i was consistently seeing 12-15Mbps down, and around the same as att on the upside (although usually closer to 1.5Mbps and sometimes even 2Mbps).

think it's just my area? i'm northwest of philly.

i know i have the proper apn settings. i know i have my phone provisioned as a "4g capable" smartphone because i spoofed an s4 imei through tech support just to be sure they weren't screwing me around with the whole "an unlocked device isn't supported and therefore we can't guarantee speeds blah blah blah" song and dance.

i was expecting speeds more in the 8-10Mbps range and have read plenty of reports from users achieving these speeds. i may have overlooked the geography of those reports, though.

just wondering what the rest of you are getting with gophone speedwise? (phone and location too, please!)

Device(s)
    Nokia E71
    Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by billm261 View Post

Sprint AYG, great pricing but currently lousy handset selections.

Boost and Virgin Mobile, once again good plans, Sprints native network (which is fine for many) but yet again, limited handset selections.

Verizon, 3G only as well as under-performing handsets.

T-Mobile, good plans, great unrestricted handset selections but by far an inferior network nationwide. They are OK if you don't leave the major cities but heaven forbid if you travel. There are so many areas of EDGE/GPRS as well as plenty of no service areas.
    too each there own.

not everyone needs someone to hold there hand.but some do and there is plenty of choices when it comes to prepay.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s, Droid Turbo 2, Galaxy S4
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon & Cricket
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by namurt View Post

while my coverage is more consistent with att, the speeds on tmo were soooo much better. granted, i'm running a nexus 4,,,,,

the absolute best speeds i can pull are roughly 5Mbps down,,,,,,,

i know i have the proper apn settings. i know i have my phone provisioned as a "4g capable" smartphone because i spoofed an s4 imei through tech support just to be sure they weren't screwing me around.....

just wondering what the rest of you are getting with gophone speedwise? (phone and location too, please!)
    I originally signed up with the Nexus 4 on GoPhone and could not do any better than your are with speeds.

However, I recommend you call CS and put the correct IMEI on your account. They don't mind that device at all and it will push the proper APN to your phone.

I switched to an HTC One X (and have had 3 other phones since then) and then it flew.

Even now I'll run a speed test and compare with AT&T always spanking T-Mobile HSPA vs HSPA.

Maybe it is your area?