Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Can the sim cards that come in Straight Talk activation kits work in Sprint phones?

Carriers
    Ting
    Feedback Score

Can the sim cards that come in Straight Talk activation kits work in Sprint phones?

You may have seen my other posts on this so please forgive me if this story sounds familiar!

I bought a Sprint Samsung Galaxy S4 off of Craigslist to use on an MVNO. With your help, I found a carrier that will accept this phone (Sprint put limits on the S4). Here's the problem: the phone I bought is missing its sim card. The seller is evasive about giving it to me, and Sprint absolutely refuses to sell me one because I'm not a contract customer.

In the meantime, I signed up for ST over the phone but the S4 is not activating. Its been 2 days but no luck so far. I'm thinking that missing sim card is the culprit.

Here's my question: I went to Wal Mart and found a ST activation kit. It says that it includes a cdma sim card that will work on most cdma phones. Would this replace the Sprint sim card that I'm missing? I already paid 60 dollars to activate a service I can't use yet (on top of 400 dollars for the phone), so I'm reluctant to spend another 60 to see if it works. What do you guys think?

Thanks so much again for all of your help!

Phones
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    Carrier
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    CDMA only telephones do not have SIM cards. What Wal-Mart sells is an activation kit which allows you to activate a CDMA telephone which you did not purchase from Straight Talk. If a CDMA telephone has a SIM card, it has LTE capability also. Straight Talk will not activate a CDMA telephone with LTE capability. The SIM card owned by the person from whom you bought the telephone should not give you his SIM card because it has his telephone number on it. He could put that SIM card into another LTE telephone and continue his service.
    Last edited by efparri; 10-21-2013 at 07:34 PM.
    Earl F. Parrish

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by suineme View Post
    You may have seen my other posts on this so please forgive me if this story sounds familiar!

I bought a Sprint Samsung Galaxy S4 off of Craigslist to use on an MVNO. With your help, I found a carrier that will accept this phone (Sprint put limits on the S4). Here's the problem: the phone I bought is missing its sim card. The seller is evasive about giving it to me, and Sprint absolutely refuses to sell me one because I'm not a contract customer.

In the meantime, I signed up for ST over the phone but the S4 is not activating. Its been 2 days but no luck so far. I'm thinking that missing sim card is the culprit.

Here's my question: I went to Wal Mart and found a ST activation kit. It says that it includes a cdma sim card that will work on most cdma phones. Would this replace the Sprint sim card that I'm missing? I already paid 60 dollars to activate a service I can't use yet (on top of 400 dollars for the phone), so I'm reluctant to spend another 60 to see if it works. What do you guys think?

Thanks so much again for all of your help!
    From what you are saying It seems like you got a sprint version Galaxy S4 which is an LTE phone, you cannot activate any LTE phone With straight-talk BYOD for Verizon or sprint your only option is to get your phone carrier unlocked and purchase a straighttalk-AT&T SIM card or a straighttalk-Tmobile SIM card and use it on those networks.

Sent from the hofo app on my straight talk branded iPhone 5

Carriers
    Ting
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by efparri View Post
    CDMA only telephones do not have SIM cards. What Wal-Mart sells is an activation kit which allows you to activate a CDMA telephone who did not purchase from Straight Talk. If a CDMA telephone has a SIM card, it has LTE capability also. Straight Talk will not activate a CDMA telephone with LTE capability. The SIM card owned by the person from whom you bought the telephone should not give you his SIM card because it has his telephone number on it. He could put that SIM card into another LTE telephone and continue his service.
    I don't think your information is current- Straight Talk does indeed provide lte service (so it says on the website and the activation kit I saw). Also, this is a UICC card, which contains no personal information on it:

http://support.sprint.com/support/ar...0120920-100001

The question I have is whether a sim card purchased with the activation kit will fit in that slot. I have already given ST my esn and they have confirmed that its a phone that they will accept.

Sent with the HoFo App

Feedback Score
    I don't think your information is current- Straight Talk does indeed provide lte service (so it says on the website and the activation kit I saw). Also, this is a UICC card, which contains no personal information on it:

http://support.sprint.com/support/ar...0120920-100001

The question I have is whether a sim card purchased with the activation kit will fit in that slot. I have already given ST my esn and they have confirmed that its a phone that they will accept.

Sent with the HoFo App
    Straight talk does provide LTE service but ONLY AND ONLY for theses phones:
    •LTE capable phones bought from straight talk meaning straight talk branded phones to be used on Sprint towers.

Or

•Any GSM LTE CAPABLE PHONE to be used on AT&T or Tmobile towers.

Your phone meets only the 2nd criteria so u can only use it on the gsm carriers(AT&T/Tmobile).

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by izzye View Post
    Straight talk does provide LTE service but ONLY AND ONLY for theses phones:
    •LTE capable phones bought from straight talk meaning straight talk branded phones to be used on Sprint towers.

Or

•Any GSM LTE CAPABLE PHONE to be used on AT&T or Tmobile towers.

Your phone meets only the 2nd criteria so u can only use it on the gsm carriers(AT&T/Tmobile).

apparently straight talk now lets you bring your own LTE sprint phone to straight talk - http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...-compatibility read post #10

Feedback Score
    Have you gotten the Sprint phone unlocked? My understanding is that only if its unlocked will it accept anything other then a Sprint UICC.

The UICC only links a Sprint phone to the LTE network. A functional Sprint phone can operate on CDMA 1X and 3G without it. Once its unlocked it can accept a normal SIM card for more then just LTE.

And if im correct (i cant stand behind what i said 100%. I am only pretty sure) then you will need to figure out how to unlock the phone.

Phones
    Nokia E71
    Nokia E71
    Iphone 3g
    Carriers
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    you have bought a sprint phone.you cannot use that s4 on the gsm side of st.the sim slot in the s4 is for access to the lte network.it is not meant to harbor a gsm sim card.

if you are calling st to try and activate the sprint s4 onto the gsm side of st it wont do it.that phone is a cdma phone.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by october262 View Post
    apparently straight talk now lets you bring your own LTE sprint phone to straight talk - http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...-compatibility read post #10
    Interesting. So I guess they would sell you a sim for the lte maybe?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Carriers
    Ting
    Feedback Score
    Ok this is by FAR the most frustrating experience I have had in quite some time. Just to give you guys an idea of what I am dealing with, here is the letter I just sent to Straight Talk's Corporate Resolution department.

Hi,

I have received conflicting information about my phone's eligibility for Straight Talk service, and I wonder if you could clarify this issue for me.

I own a Samsung Galaxy S4, which was issued by Sprint. On October 20th, I went to this webspage:

http://www.straighttalk.com/wps/port...p/registration

to see if this phone was eligible. I entered all of the fields, and was taken to a page where I could enter my credit card information. I clicked "submit", and I was directed to a page that said "Finalization."

I proceeded to call customer service, which told me that I was not charged for the transaction. I gave them my ESN, and they determined that my phone is indeed eligible for service. They took my credit card information and charged me for activation and one month of service. However, my phone service has not been activated yet. I have spent several hours on the phone, and I have been told that the system hasn't issued a phone number to my account yet. This is why my phone is not active.

Frustrated, I went to your website to see if I could find out more information. I chatted with a person named "Chelsea" via the live chat option, who proceeded to tell me that my phone is not eligible. I called customer support with this knowledge, but the representative assured me that my phone is in fact eligible - the only issue is that a phone number has not been attached to my service yet. I asked 3-4 times if my phone is eligible, and the representative said that the system wouldn't have allowed me to have an account if it wasn't.

I turned to Howardforums to ask if anyone else had experience with Straight Talk, and I received this private message from a Straight Talk representative:

Straight Talk's Bring Your Own Phone program will work with unlocked domestic GSM phones. Your phone on the said carrier cannot be used on the BYOP program for GSM phones. However, you can check the phone's eligibility to our BYOP program for CDMA phones. Please go to http://www.straighttalk.com/wps/port...p/registration.

If you need further assistance or have further questions, feel free to send us an email at ST.CorpResolutionTeam@straighttalk.com. Thank you!

Sara
    Straight Talk Wireless

I am not sure if this message means that my phone is not eligible. Could someone please look into this for me? If my phone is in fact not eligible, then I would like to receive a refund for all charges incurred, since this was an error on Straight Talk's part.

Carriers
    Ting
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Shakezula84 View Post
    Have you gotten the Sprint phone unlocked? My understanding is that only if its unlocked will it accept anything other then a Sprint UICC.

The UICC only links a Sprint phone to the LTE network. A functional Sprint phone can operate on CDMA 1X and 3G without it. Once its unlocked it can accept a normal SIM card for more then just LTE. And if im correct (i cant stand behind what i said 100%. I am only pretty sure) then you will need to figure out how to unlock the phone.

It's not unlocked, but it's weird- some of the representatives tell me that the phone is NOT eligible, and some tell me that it is. I suppose it should make me feel better that the representatives that have taken my ESN are the ones that say it is eligible, but that doesn't change the fact that the phone has not yet been activated. They are telling me that it's due to the fact that a phone number has not been attached to my account yet. I have entered "##72786#" dozens of times on this phone, and it never activates.

I have had some luck contacting the seller, who says that she will give me the original sim card this week, but I have no idea if that will fix the problem. I might have to unlock the phone after all.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashraj Dhindsa View Post
    Interesting. So I guess they would sell you a sim for the lte maybe?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
    i don't think you get a sim card , i think it's same activiation thing as if you bought the straight talk samsing galaxy S3, which
    is also on sprint and has LTE.

Phone
    Apple iPhone 5s
    Carrier
    Straight Talk (AT&T SIM)
    Feedback Score
    Ok this is by FAR the most frustrating experience I have had in quite some time. Just to give you guys an idea of what I am dealing with, here is the letter I just sent to Straight Talk's Corporate Resolution department
    I would say that you are in for a whole lot more frustration if you keep trying to get this phone to work in straight talk. Sprint phones are notoriously difficult to get to work on other networks, which is why used sprint iPhones are ~$50-$100 cheaper than non-sprint iPhones.

The fact that the phone is sprint AND LTE makes it seem to us that it will never work, like ever. There is a small chance that the phone could be activated to use Sprint towers on CDMA, *but we have not EVER heard if that working*, even though there have been some changes recently to the BYOP CDMA program. I would trust cooter55 to know in these situations whether the phone would work on GSM or not, and when he says it won't work, it won't. Takeaway: any activation that sells you a SIM card WILL NOT WORK even if you unlock the phone, and a Sprint CDMA activation is unlikely.

Second, the customer service for Straight Talk is notoriously crappy. Half the time, they give you incorrect information because they simply don't know what you're asking. Saying that it will work and tirelessly trying to do it because an automated website told you that it would is an exercise in futility.

Personally, if you are set on using straight talk, I would cut your losses. Give the phone back to the seller if you can, and sell it if you can't. Buy a new, unlocked Nexus 5 when they come out in less than a month, whose starting price point has been rumored to be $350 for a phone arguably better and faster than the one you have in your hand. This phone will work easily with any network that uses a SIM card.

If you are set on using your Sprint Galaxy S4, I would caution you against trying to use it on straight talk for your own sanity's sake. Quick google searching tells me that it is possible to "flash" the Sprint Galaxy S4 to Page Plus, which is a Verizon prepaid reseller. I'm not sure what flashing entails, but it is likely your best option if you need to keep the phone.

Carriers
    Ting
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hayburner View Post
    I would say that you are in for a whole lot more frustration if you keep trying to get this phone to work in straight talk. Sprint phones are notoriously difficult to get to work on other networks, which is why used sprint iPhones are ~$50-$100 cheaper than non-sprint iPhones.

The fact that the phone is sprint AND LTE makes it seem to us that it will never work, like ever. There is a small chance that the phone could be activated to use Sprint towers on CDMA, *but we have not EVER heard if that working*, even though there have been some changes recently to the BYOP CDMA program. I would trust cooter55 to know in these situations whether the phone would work on GSM or not, and when he says it won't work, it won't. Takeaway: any activation that sells you a SIM card WILL NOT WORK even if you unlock the phone, and a Sprint CDMA activation is unlikely.

Second, the customer service for Straight Talk is notoriously crappy. Half the time, they give you incorrect information because they simply don't know what you're asking. Saying that it will work and tirelessly trying to do it because an automated website told you that it would is an exercise in futility.

Personally, if you are set on using straight talk, I would cut your losses. Give the phone back to the seller if you can, and sell it if you can't. Buy a new, unlocked Nexus 5 when they come out in less than a month, whose starting price point has been rumored to be $350 for a phone arguably better and faster than the one you have in your hand. This phone will work easily with any network that uses a SIM card.

If you are set on using your Sprint Galaxy S4, I would caution you against trying to use it on straight talk for your own sanity's sake. Quick google searching tells me that it is possible to "flash" the Sprint Galaxy S4 to Page Plus, which is a Verizon prepaid reseller. I'm not sure what flashing entails, but it is likely your best option if you need to keep the phone.

I think you are dead on, because I just got a reply from their corporate resolution department, and it said my phone absolutely qualifies. They have fixed the problem, and now all I have to do is turn off the phone and turn it back on. It still doesn't work.

I really think its this model in particular, because I actually have a Sprint Galaxy s3 that I use on Ting (that's what I'm using to type this in fact). I bought the s4 with every intention of bringing it over to Ting, but they won't allow this phone on their network. Why not? Because according to Sprint, this is their "flagship" phone and they don't want MVNOs using it. You can bring practically any phone over except this one.

So that led me to Straight Talk. They insisted that the phone will work, so I paid about 65 dollars for one month of service plus activation. I have literally spent hours on the phone troubleshooting this, and as you may know, Ting doesn't have an unlimited minutes plan. So I am getting screwed in lost minutes as Ting kicks me up to the next "tier." I'm beginning to wonder if Straight Talk isn't just lying to me by saying my phone works so I won't demand a refund.

Oh and about my sanity: when a live chat rep told me my phone won't work on their network (after spending 3 hours on the phone troubleshooting), I literally kicked a door. I wanted to throw my computer out the window.

Sent with the HoFo App

Phones
    Nokia E71
    Nokia E71
    Iphone 3g
    Carriers
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    the sprint/verizon side of byod is very touchy about the phoned they allow on there network.

too bad you cant trade it for a gsm model.att/tmo side of byod is more relaxed with what phones are allowed.

it is a good ideal if you are using the sprint or verizon side of st to use a st branded phone.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast