Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: New Tracfone Android Phone questions

Feedback Score
    I think I read somewhere the Android Tracfones don't come with the usual starter airtime.

Carriers
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by a5253628 View Post
    I think I read somewhere the Android Tracfones don't come with the usual starter airtime.
    No free airtime is included. You must supply the airtime to activate, using transferred airtime or purchased airtime.
    Reports are that original added minutes will not transfer back off the Androids, only your phone number and days of service.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Tracfancier View Post
    No free airtime is included. You must supply the airtime to activate, using transferred airtime or purchased airtime. Reports are that original added minutes will not transfer back off the Androids, only your phone number and days of service.
    Where are these reports? I'd like to see them.

Are you saying that if you activate with a $20 card, for example, giving the Android 180/180/180, then use 20 voice minutes, then decide to get rid of the Android, the remaining 160 minutes won't transfer to a feature phone? They are lost?

Some have posted that minutes will transfer from Android to Android. It has been posted that someone got the HSN Centura, got the clock problem, so transferred the 600/600/600 onto a Valet and returned the Centura without any minutes. Transfer worked fine.

Feedback Score
    I've stated this SEVERAL times thought the thread.......If you don't believe me, try it...

ONCE AGAIN . . . . If you transfer or put minutes on an ANDROID, then you decide you dont want it, your MINUTES ***WILL NOT***
    transfer back to another non-smartphone
    . ONLY the phone number and service end date will transfer back. YOU LOSE MINUTES going from Android to Non-Android.

IF you transfer from one Android to another Android, everything transfers OK.

HOW MANY MORE TIMES DOES THIS QUESTION NEED TO BE ANSWERED?

Quote Originally Posted by annepani View Post
    Where are these reports? I'd like to see them.

Are you saying that if you activate with a $20 card, for example, giving the Android 180/180/180, then use 20 voice minutes, then decide to get rid of the Android, the remaining 160 minutes won't transfer to a feature phone? They are lost?

Some have posted that minutes will transfer from Android to Android. It has been posted that someone got the HSN Centura, got the clock problem, so transferred the 600/600/600 onto a Valet and returned the Centura without any minutes. Transfer worked fine.

Feedback Score
    I can understand Tracfone not wanting people to go from Android to non-Android in order to game the system if Tracfone gave us a 1-to-1 balance transfer (e.g. if 600/600/600 on an Android transferred to 1800 on a non-Android).

One potential simple solution is to add up minutes + texts + data balance on the Android and divide that by 3 and make that the non-Android transfer amount if it's going to TMFL Tracfone, or divide by 4.5 if it's going to DMFL.

So for example if you had 600/0/0 (or any combination of balances totaling 600) on a Tracfone Android, then that would become 200 voice minutes on a TMFL non-Android Tracfone or 133.33 on a DMFL non-Android to account.

Doing its this way weighs voice, texts, and data units equally, but it's better than not allowing you to switch back if you don't like the Android and I don't think Tracfone get's gamed or loses anything in the transfer process.
    Cheers!

Phones
    w370
    LG 200C
    Kyocera 126C
    Carriers
    Net10
    Feedback Score
    This is likely the only way to keep this from happening (without monitoring every transfer): If you use up all your texts and data on an android and then transfered to a non android, you could later transfer to an android and the system would automatically (supposedly) change your minutes to all three categories.
    There's no present. There's only the immediate future and the recent past.George Carlin

Carrier
    ATT postpaid
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by greg4android View Post
    NOTE! if you transferred all of your minutes over from another Tracfone TO the Android.......and later, you decide you DO NOT LIKE the Android, you can transfer your number back to your old phone and your service end date back ***BUT*** you will lose any minutes you transferred........
    did this happen to you?
    http://www.racefansforever.weebly.com// For a Fan's perspective on NASCAR racing.

http://kevdogg329.blogspot.com/ My Personal Blog

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/forum.php For good information about safety razor shaving, and straight edge shaving

Carrier
    Consumer Cellular - Ting - R+ - Lyca - PPC
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kevdogg329 View Post
    did this happen to you?
    There is a post on here that lists a conversation with Tracfone C/S that confirmed this. It very well may have been greg4android who posted it, but I can not find in a cursory search.

Feedback Score
    Hey so I got the centra from HSN with the 600/600/600 activation pin. Is that supposed to triple to 1800/1800/1800 or not? I keep reading conflicting statements.
    Mine did not triple.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by niceman View Post
    Hey so I got the centra from HSN with the 600/600/600 activation pin. Is that supposed to triple to 1800/1800/1800 or not? I keep reading conflicting statements. Mine did not triple.
    Actually, it already tripled. The HSN pin is for a 200 minute card which then tripled to 600/600/600. You didn't lose any minutes or get done out of anything.

Carriers
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    So far ALL bundled airtime has been based on a currently available Tracfone airtime card. This Info will also help you determine if an offer of 365 days of service is part of the airtime or programed to activate with the phone (like a VA phone). The phones S/N tells the system if the phone is SMFL/DMFL/TMFL and guides how many M/D to activate with.

The system knows how many total minutes it puts on a phone, but do not keep track of how many you use. They do know if you are not using the phone and send messages to encourage its use.

Feedback Score

Question on Tracfone Smart Phone coverage (Galaxy Centura)

I live in Oshkosh, WI and was thinking about getting a Samsung Galaxy Centura. My issue is this...when I enter my zip code for phones on the Tracfone website...is does not list any Smart Phones for Oshkosh...but if I go up the road to Appleton, WI or down the road to Fond duLac...I have the choice of the Samsung Galaxy? So if I purchase this phone...will it still work in Oshkosh? Note...we do have Verizon towers in Oshkosh.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by omiaqt View Post
    I live in Oshkosh, WI and was thinking about getting a Samsung Galaxy Centura. My issue is this...when I enter my zip code for phones on the Tracfone website...is does not list any Smart Phones for Oshkosh...but if I go up the road to Appleton, WI or down the road to Fond duLac...I have the choice of the Samsung Galaxy? So if I purchase this phone...will it still work in Oshkosh? Note...we do have Verizon towers in Oshkosh.
    What is your zip code in Oshkosh WI?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by omiaqt View Post
    I live in Oshkosh, WI and was thinking about getting a Samsung Galaxy Centura. My issue is this...when I enter my zip code for phones on the Tracfone website...is does not list any Smart Phones for Oshkosh
    Tracfone has defined your market as ATT only -- no T-Mobile, no Verizon and no US Cellular. All Tracfone Androids, both branded and BYOP, are Verizon. So you won't see any Androids listed in your (ATT) market.
    Last edited by annepani; 03-28-2014 at 02:32 PM.

Feedback Score
    Verizon may not want Tracfone customers in your area. There may be a shortage of phone numbers, there may not be enough capacity for extra customers, Tracfones use a lower speed data and Verizon may not want to handle it, etc.

I suspect that if you activate the phone using an agreeable zip code and a corresponding phone number, you MAY be allowed to use the phone at home. It depends on whether or not that is considered to be "roaming". Tracfone Androids do not roam at the present time.

The Centura is really not the wisest choice. It has a clock problem.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2