Page 3 of 76 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 53 ... LastLast

Thread: 'Unlimited' International Data Speedtest!

Device(s)
    LG-G4, wife S7
    Carrier(s)
    T-M
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by danska View Post
    My biggest gripe with the throttling t-mobile does is the way they do it. It just destroys the latency of the connection. Granted i haven't been throttled in a year, when i did, it was absolutely terrible. The throttling method they used was so bad that an unthrottled gprs connection would work flawlessly than a throttled gprs connection.
    We had no problem w. EDGE speeds in china. Ping test was 4 figures As a test, logged into Pandora. Took 30 seconds to load and buffer but then played for 15 min w.o. a hiccup. I didn't run many tests in Hong Kong where it did connect to hi networks that were hi speed capable.
    GoogleVoice (domestic call forwarding and cheap intl. calls) Use GV to give us a "home" number in a 2nd location
    6 T-Mobile lines - Unlimited talk and text, data. 2G fast data on each line . $120/mo. + taxes. We have had no landline in more than 10 years.

Carrier(s)
    Wind+T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by willzzz View Post
    It's the throttling and T-Mobile's limitations on choice of carriers. Believe me, if you had a native SIM or paid the full $50 you would get full HSPA+ speeds. The reason of the latency is because the data is being tunneled back to T-Mobile USA's packet core in the USA then out to the internet. If you do a reverse traceroute you can see this. This is why the speedtest latency is so damn high. If you selected one based on geographic proximity to where T-Mobile is exiting the 3GPP tunnel you should get the minimum latency. Finally in China T-Mobile for their FREE service only allows roaming on China Mobile is seems (2G EDGE). They don't allow roaming on China Unicom which has full HSPA+21 in major cities. Again in 95% of countries there is HSPA+, and it seems in certain countries T-Mobile is taking the cheap route.
    On the other hand, if nothing else this tunnel means uncensored access to the internet. Sure, you could get a China Unicom SIM but try getting onto Facebook, Twitter, or some other websites with that.

Device(s)
    LG-G4, wife S7
    Carrier(s)
    T-M
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by yangj08 View Post
    On the other hand, if nothing else this tunnel means uncensored access to the internet. Sure, you could get a China Unicom SIM but try getting onto Facebook, Twitter, or some other websites with that.
    China Unicom (which TM doesn't roam on) has the only 3G system in China. China Mobile will have 3G (or better) in the coming year. When in China in April bought a Unicom SIM w. 3Gigs of data for about $55. Of course it blocked many U.S. sites from Facebook to CNN. My wife used Facebook often w. TM the last couple weeks w. no problem roaming on w. TM on China Mobile.

Feedback Score
    Did you have to explicitly enable data roaming on your phone in order to get an IP address while abroad?

Device(s)
    LG-G4, wife S7
    Carrier(s)
    T-M
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kgcurrie View Post
    Did you have to explicitly enable data roaming on your phone in order to get an IP address while abroad?
    The default setting on most phones is to "disable" data when roaming. All we had to do on both the BB and the Android was to "uncheck" the box that says "disable data when roaming". If/when you do that, data is automatically "on" when you touchdown and turn on your phone. I am used to traveling with data on in the past because I subscribed to the unlimited BB email option that cost 67˘/day and made sure all other data apps were off.
    Since evryone with the Simple postpaid plan now gets this feature automatically, you don't have to do any change to your acct.

Feedback Score
    Has anyone else tested speeds in Europe? If so please share.

Sent with the HoFo App

Device(s)
    LG-G4, wife S7
    Carrier(s)
    T-M
    Feedback Score
    2G (EDGE) speeds are the same all over the world. Anyway, since TM is routing the data thru their own system, they can set the output to whatever they want.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    In Tijuana, Mexico, I did a speed test with my Nokia Lumia 925. My connection was showing 4G (HSPA+) and both on Iusacell as well as Movistar (the two roaming partners T-Mobile has in Mexico) I was getting less than 1 Mbps.

I was able to open webpages in a reasonable amount of time, load facebook (pictures took longer to load then back in the US (obviously)), whatsapp works just fine, and even Pandora worked (it would buffer sometimes and pause, but it was working)!

Overall, I am very impressed by having data internationally and I do not need to carry two devices when in Mexico anymore. I will gladly pay the 20 cent/min voice calls, and having data working is awesome! I have not felt the need to purchase a speed pack, especially since I goto Tijuana several times a week. If I ever need skype/tango/video chat, then I'll find a wifi (which is pretty easy in Mexico now).

Device(s)
    LG-G4, wife S7
    Carrier(s)
    T-M
    Feedback Score
    If you are going to listen to Pandora on "slow" data connections - make sure you have the setting for "std. quality" rather than "high quality" which requires higher data speeds.

Device(s)
    iPhones
    Carrier(s)
    T-mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by anex99 View Post
    In Tijuana, Mexico, I did a speed test with my Nokia Lumia 925. My connection was showing 4G (HSPA+) and both on Iusacell as well as Movistar (the two roaming partners T-Mobile has in Mexico) I was getting less than 1 Mbps.

I was able to open webpages in a reasonable amount of time, load facebook (pictures took longer to load then back in the US (obviously)), whatsapp works just fine, and even Pandora worked (it would buffer sometimes and pause, but it was working)!

Overall, I am very impressed by having data internationally and I do not need to carry two devices when in Mexico anymore. I will gladly pay the 20 cent/min voice calls, and having data working is awesome! I have not felt the need to purchase a speed pack, especially since I goto Tijuana several times a week. If I ever need skype/tango/video chat, then I'll find a wifi (which is pretty easy in Mexico now).
    That sounds awesome now they just gotta start roaming on telcel.

Carrier(s)
    Tmobile Post-Pay
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by luism1023 View Post
    That sounds awesome now they just gotta start roaming on telcel.
    They probably wont because Telcel is the most expensive.
    “The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it.”

― George Orwell

Device(s)
    iPhones
    Carrier(s)
    T-mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by money69 View Post
    They probably wont because Telcel is the most expensive.
    Well the prices are very similar from what I saw. I know telcel is a monopoly so they might not want to give them a good deal.
    But telcel America runs on tmo network so maybe they can come to a favorable agreement.

Feedback Score
    Has anyone tried google maps internationally? I am thinking it will work OK in Panama. Otherwise I may get Windows Phones instead, so I can download Pabama maps for an upcoming trip.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by FlyingBoat View Post
    Has anyone tried google maps internationally? I am thinking it will work OK in Panama. Otherwise I may get Windows Phones instead, so I can download Pabama maps for an upcoming trip.
    Since I had the Nokia Lumia, maps were already downloaded to the phone. I'm pretty sure that maps will work just fine. I would recommend caching the maps you need just in case (on new versions of Google Maps, select the area you want, and type in "OK Maps" (without the quotes) and it will download that area for offline use.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingBoat View Post
    Well the prices are very similar from what I saw. I know telcel is a monopoly so they might not want to give them a good deal.
    But telcel America runs on tmo network so maybe they can come to a favorable agreement.
    I believe AT&T already is the roaming partner with Telcel; so I don't see Telcel becoming a T-Mobile USA roaming partner. Remember, companies like AT&T are making 90% profits in international roaming fees when US customers use their phone abroad! Go T-Mobile!!!

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile & AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by techuser1 View Post
    Has anyone else tested speeds in Europe? If so please share.

Sent with the HoFo App
    I arrived in London yesterday. Phone and iPad both connected instantly and it shows 3G as the network connection. Speeds tests show around 102/95 Kbps. It's reliable enough for email and casual web browsing. I can manually select any of the supported roaming partners and not limited only to the local T-Mobile (EE) network. On arrival I received the welcome text message telling me data was included as part of my plan but it gave me a link to add an optional high speed data package add on.

Page 3 of 76 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 53 ... LastLast