Thread: Can I switch minutes to a new Tracfone, then back the old one if I don't like it?

Feedback Score

Can I switch minutes to a new Tracfone, then back the old one if I don't like it?

I have a nasty old LG Tracfone that I keep using because reception around here is bad and it's CDMA. It has lots of minutes but is running out of days and I have to do something soon. I also have an unactivated S390 which I got on the refurb deal with an unused 60 minute card. I'd like to try the S390 but don't want to loose the minutes on the LG, or the cool phone number I have on it which I will if I don't add time within the next week.

Can I deactivate the LG and activate the S390 and tranfer the unused minutes?

Can I then add the 60 minute (tripled, of course) card to the S390, and later, if I don't like the S390, reactivate the LG and tranfer all the unused minutes back to it?

Any advice, or better ways to do it, welcome. I don't want to have two phones activated at once because then I would loose my phone number. And I think that if I put the minutes on the S390 instead of on the LG first I will get an extra 60 minutes due to it being 3x and the LG only 2x.

Feedback Score
    Some day I am going to have a
    ANDROID
    QWERTY
    SLIDER
    TOUCHSCREEN
    phone with voice command!

Feedback Score
    transfer non-android to android >everything transfers
    transfer android to android >everything transfers.
    transfer androind back to NON-ANDROID > works but only your # and service end date remain. YOU LOSE ALL MINUTES!

Gees, how many times have I answered this in this forum?

Feedback Score
    Yes, what you propose should work. Three caveats:
    1. Since one phone is CDMA and one is GSM, the transfer(s) could take longer and possibly leave you without service for some time (days?).
    2. Since one phone is CDMA and one is GSM, tracfone may not want to transfer the number. At least some folks have reported that. This could be a show-stopper from what you said. It might be best to call the Miami number to do the transfer, and ask explicitly whether this will be a problem. Other readers may have other advice here.
    3. Before transferring the minutes back to the LG, be sure to use up the 10 or 20 "bonus" minutes you received for activating the S390G. Tracfone doesn't permit transferring those, and could deactivate your phone because of it.

Note that the first two replies in this thread are about the new Android phones. The OP is talking about 2 (non-Android) models.

Carriers
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Always record parameters 0 and 30 of BOTH phones before doing any transfers. It is your only retained proof of what you had before the transfers change everything.

Phone
    S390G LG500G T404G T301G V170
    Carrier
    TracFone (AT&T SIM)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by greg4android View Post
    transfer non-android to android >everything transfers
    transfer android to android >everything transfers.
    transfer androind back to NON-ANDROID > works but only your # and service end date remain. YOU LOSE ALL MINUTES!

Gees, how many times have I answered this in this forum?
    Well the OP didn't ask about androids. Specifically mention non-android phones (a DMFL LG and a S390G)