Thread: How to prove I'm not on a contract

Feedback Score

How to prove I'm not on a contract

I have the itch to upgrade, so I went into a Rogers store to inquire last night. The staff informed me that I would be charged a fee of $99.30 for upgrading before the end of my contract. I remarked that this was strange, because as far as I can recall, I have not agreed to a contract since I first became a Rogers customer. I thanked the store staff and went on my way.

I called Rogers customer service this morning to talk about it. I was informed that I was on a contract because I had "upgraded" in April of 2012. I explained that I did not agree to a contract then, because I bought the phone for the full price and I was very explicit about not going into a contract- I only bought it to re-sell to a friend. However, Rogers does not keep a record of what I paid for the phone (according to the rep), so they have no way of verifying my claim.

The rep also told me that I had taken an offer of a $50 goodwill credit and recurring service credits. This is correct- I am on a Retention plan, and part of the plan includes a recurring monthly credit towards my add-on Value Pack. I don't remember agreeing to a contract extention when I signed up for that plan, but it was a while ago and my memory is a little murky. The rep was very vague in his wording, as well- the words he used were, "agreed to an offer", rather than, "agreed to a contract".

As far as proving I paid full price for the phone goes, that's easy: all I have to do is print off my bank statement and take it into the store. I'm more worried about the "offer" I allegedly agreed to that extended my contract. It would have been agreed to verbally since I changed my plan over the phone with Retentions. I can see it getting into a situation where it becomes my word against Rogers, which is exactly what I don't want. Does anybody have any advice or suggestions for how I should proceed if the bank statement fails to convince Rogers that I'm not on a contract?

For additional context: My Retention plan is 1GB BlackBerry data & My10, with 200 local minutes and unlimited evenings & weekends (starting at 6 PM). I also have a Value Pack which includes unlimited messaging, voicemail, call display and so on, but it is discounted. My monthly charges average around $75.
    With the exception of the phone that I bought at full price, I have never had a hardware upgrade- I have just been buying secondhand phones. I have been a Rogers customer since 2006.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Speaking to Customer Service is NOT the same as speaking to Customer Relations. Call and "offer" to cancel and you might be put through to the right department. If not, keep calling until you are. That's the only way to speak with anyone who can help you.

By the way, that would be a good time to improve your "retention plan."
    For sale: MacBook Pro 15" flawless[/URL]

Previous feedback system: HowEver

New feedback (more elsewhere): HowEver

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by HowEver View Post
    Speaking to Customer Service is NOT the same as speaking to Customer Relations. Call and "offer" to cancel and you might be put through to the right department. If not, keep calling until you are. That's the only way to speak with anyone who can help you.

By the way, that would be a good time to improve your "retention plan."
    I'm reluctant to take that step, although it may come to that. I used to work in a call centre, and I know how it feels to deliver your greeting only to hear, "I want to speak to your Manager." Ever since then, I've always tried to treat CSRs with respect, and I've found that they typically respond in kind- that's how I got a retention plan in the first place.

Anyway, I plan to sit tight until next weekend and gather ideas and suggestions. You don't want to go into a battle of wits unarmed- especially when the battle is against a giant.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    It's not a first step you have to even blink about. This is how Rogers works. Regular customer service will not and cannot help you. They're not allowed.

Read the first few pages, and last few pages, of this thread. This is how it works:
    http://forums.redflagdeals.com/roger...pdated-785331/

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Petra_87 View Post
    I'm reluctant to take that step, although it may come to that. I used to work in a call centre, and I know how it feels to deliver your greeting only to hear, "I want to speak to your Manager." Ever since then, I've always tried to treat CSRs with respect, and I've found that they typically respond in kind- that's how I got a retention plan in the first place.

Anyway, I plan to sit tight until next weekend and gather ideas and suggestions. You don't want to go into a battle of wits unarmed- especially when the battle is against a giant.
    No, you misunderstood.

Rogers has 2 kinds of phone support for wireless customers.

The first level are the useless agents. They can't do anything except inform you about basic thing such as outages, take payments etc.

The second level are the only phone agents with any actual power. They can change plans, renew contracts, give you deals etc.

You need to talk to the 2nd group because they are the group responsible for retentions deals and contracts.

You can only talk to them if you call in and go through the menus and choose to cancel a service, because then the 2nd group can offer you incentives to not cancel.