Thread: iPhone 4s TFW Delete old APN? I've read 100 pages

Feedback Score

iPhone 4s TFW Delete old APN? I've read 100 pages

My husband updated his iPhone 4s to 7.0.3 and Straight Talk pushed the Carrier update on him so it now shows TFW - however he still has the old Straight Talk APN in the phone. I've read for 8 hours trying to figure out the right thing to do. His phone is unlocked. I've ordered 2 new Straight Talk ATT sims. But he freaked out this morning when he didn't have service when he picked up his phone. I turned his Airplane Mode off and on and power cycled his phone off and on and he has a connection - he can send and receive iMessages and photos. Do I just ignore the fact that he still has the Straight Talk APN as long as it's working? I know that sounds kind of like a dumb question.

Oh. The phone is not jailbroken.

Carrier
    Sprint via RingPlus
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    You mentioned you ordered two new sim cards? Are you using those now?

For the carrier update to work well you need to use the tfdata APN. Meaning you either run the new sim card, or call Straight Talk and get someone to transfer you to the tfdata APN.

iMessage will work on wifi, so it doesn't necessarily prove that cellular data is working.
    Past providers: Page Plus, AT&T, T-Mobile, Virgin, Straight Talk
    Past phones: Nokia 820, Motorola Atrix HD, iPhone 4S, HTC One V, iPhone 4, Nokia Lumia 900, Nokia N9, Samsung Focus, Samsung Captivate, Nokia N900, HTC 8525, iPhone 3GS, iPhone, Nokia E61i, Siemens A56...

Feedback Score
    No, I'm waiting for the Sims to come in. Wifi is turned off.

Still running old Straight talk APN and old ATT sims from a year ago.

We are not in an area that is going to get the latest and greatest data plan. We live in smaller city, not a Metropolitan area, if that makes any difference.

My iPhone, which I have not updated to the latest IOS or Carrier update, shows the same network bars as his does.

Phone
    Apple iPhone 5s
    Carrier
    Straight Talk (AT&T SIM)
    Feedback Score
    Do you guys require MMS messaging? If you don't, and everything is working as you want it to, I'd leave it be, if it ain't broke.

For old ST SIM users, the TFW carrier update change doesn't change anything: you still have to download an APN profile to get data, or perform a SIM swap or get jailbroken to get data and MMS. If something stops working and continues to not work after power cycling, that's when you should worry and tell us, and consider changing something.

Feedback Score
    Well I sent him an MMS and sent one from him to me and it worked so I guess maybe I shouldn't worry. I'll just wait for the new Sims to come in. Hopefully the old Sims will keep working until they arrive.

Thanks everyone

Feedback Score
    What city do you live in?

Sent with the HoFo App

Phone
    Apple iPhone 5s
    Carrier
    Straight Talk (AT&T SIM)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by romper View Post
    Well I sent him an MMS and sent one from him to me and it worked so I guess maybe I shouldn't worry. I'll just wait for the new Sims to come in. Hopefully the old Sims will keep working until they arrive.

Thanks everyone
    When you tested MMS, did you turn iMessage off? Sending pictures between iPhones with iMessage on is not MMS. To test mms, you have to send a text to someone without an iPhone or turn your iMessage off.

Feedback Score
    That carrier update you did when up grading to 7.0.3 most likely removed any apns you had on the phone, MMS should be working (non iMessage).

if it aint broke dont fix it

Feedback Score
    Received new SIMS. Updated my cell to IOS 7.0.3 and contacted Straight Talk through their Chat system to get up and running. Used Unlockit to get a new APN though. Not jailbroken.

I take that back. Ugh. He did say it might take some time. I'm not online. Hope this is a blip.

Feedback Score
    2 days? up to 2 days to get service? are they kidding me?