Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Waiting for Android 4.4 on Tracfone...

Feedback Score

Waiting for Android 4.4 on Tracfone...

After waiting for years and years for an Android Tracfone, I was excited to see they finally arrived; I was initially going to wait till the holiday season to see if they'll go on sale before I pick up one of the newest phones, but it looks like I'm going to be waiting even longer. The new Android 4.4 Kit Kat OS looks like it's being developed to run more smoothly on cheaper phones, from this article - http://www.theverge.com/2013/10/30/5...-and-wearables

"According to Efrati, who says he's had covert access to the Android 4.4 feature list, the key improvement will be better memory management to allow "entry-level devices" to run with just 512MB of RAM."

So, looks like I'll be waiting a little while longer till Tracfone gets Android 4.4 onto one of their smartphones...which I don't mind too much, I'm starting to like my LG 840G with the Opera mini browser, really want to be able to use Google Maps with GPS though.

Feedback Score
    most smartphones that tracfone/net10/straight talk sell the os system cannot be updated

Carrier
    Net10
    Feedback Score
    Net10 Sim card with Nexus 5 can be had right now.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by october262 View Post
    most smartphones that tracfone/net10/straight talk sell the os system cannot be updated
    Even among the major carriers it could take half a year for them to update their Androids, I wouldn't have any faith in Tracfone to ever do so. For now, I can wait, Android 4.4 will be worth it for cheap Android phones, and waiting around for phone upgrades is what Tracfone customers are use to

Feedback Score
    Expect 4.4 to be slower. Usually, low memory footprint comes at the price of never caching anything in memory and reloading data all the time.

That said, it's probably slicker than the 4.1.1 I have on my ZTE Valet. Hopefully it will run older apps as well.

Carrier
    Metro PCS (GSM)
    Feedback Score
    I expect it to be a long time until tracfone has any phone with android 4.4.

Sent with the HoFo App
    1998 Nokia 5110 • 2001 Nokia 3350 • 2002 Nokia 3530 • 2003 Nokia 6800
    2005 HTC Wizard (Cingular 8125) (Stolen)
    2006 Nokia 6080
    2007 iPhone "2G" 4GB • 2009 iPhone 3GS 32GB • 2010 iPhone 4 16GB
    2011 Galaxy Nexus GSM 16GB
    2012 Nexus 4 16GB (Google Play )
    2013 Nexus 5 16GB (Google Play )
    Carrier: Metro PCS; TMO MVNO; 4G LTE $60 Unlimited.

Feedback Score
    If it's Android Kit kat 4.4 you want, your best bet would be to go the BYOP route. Of course you'd need to get a Android phone that's guaranteed to get the 4.4 update. Mabey like a LG Galaxy Nexus 5. That way any updates that come out you'll be on that "first" list.

Sent from my Sgh-i717 on Straight Talk (At&t 4G)

Phone
    S390G LG500G T404G T301G V170
    Carrier
    TracFone (AT&T SIM)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by wtjra70 View Post
    If it's Android Kit kat 4.4 you want, your best bet would be to go the BYOP route. Of course you'd need to get a Android phone that's guaranteed to get the 4.4 update.
    Or a phone with decent 3rd party support as that's where I expect you'll see KitKat first.
    Cyanogen and the like will be available for existing devices before any carrier updates are released.

If CM10.2 and .3 are currently available for a phone, I would expect 10.4 support.

Feedback Score
    The problem is that you don't know what lines of phones will be supported in a new Android release because it seems to change from release to release. You can't buy into a line of phones and expect it if has 4.3 it will get 4.4. Totally stupid. Google seems to drop or add supported lines at a whim.

Feedback Score
    Not for sale yet but coming soon. On the Tracfone and Straight Talk sites the LG Optimus Dynamic 2 (LG39C) is listed. Upgrade of the LG38C with some version of Jelly Bean, which could be 4.1-4.3. Might be able to run the latest Google Maps IF there is enough system memory storage, or the app can be run on the external memory card. The internal memory lack has been a problem with all the Android Tracfones.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by randian View Post
    The problem is that you don't know what lines of phones will be supported in a new Android release because it seems to change from release to release. You can't buy into a line of phones and expect it if has 4.3 it will get 4.4. Totally stupid. Google seems to drop or add supported lines at a whim.
    I think you've got it backwards, randian. It's not Google dropping/adding supported lines, it's the phone manufacturers. Its up to them to determine whether their device is compatible with each new version of Android.

To me, that means that we won't see any release upgrades to existing phones. First of all, the phones are so low-end that they may not be able to run an upgraded system. Second, neither Tracfone nor the manufacturers have any incentive to spend the money to validate an upgrade, and then spend more money to have a mechanism to roll it out to users. Remember, Tracfone's business model is low-cost phones and then make the money selling airtime.

If you want a phone with 4.4, I think you'll either have to wait for Tracfone to release one that has it, or see if cyanogenmod or someone else puts together a DIY version that won't get you in trouble with the Tracfone terms-of-service.

Carrier
    Net10
    Feedback Score
    The Moto G might be a good answer.

http://www.droid-life.com/2013/11/13/moto-g-specs/

Feedback Score
    mooneyb1 and wtjra70, you are both missing the point. The OP wants TRACFONE Android 4.4. Your suggestions have nothing to do with Tracfone.

Carrier
    Net10
    Feedback Score
    You can get a sim from net10 and put it in the moto g.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mooneyb1 View Post
    You can get a sim from net10 and put it in the moto g.
    But Net10 still isn't Tracfone. Existing Tracfone minutes and service cannot be transferred onto Net10 ohones. Many Tracfone subscribers have phones with thousands of minutes and several years on them. They can transfer them onto a Tracfone Android and keep going without spending a dime for several years. And those people would have to discard all those minutes in order to switch to Net10.

And if they do run out of minutes, a Tracfone Android costs as little as $7 per month to operate. A Net10 Android costs $50 per month, month in month out, no matter how little you use it.

Many people make the mistake of thinking that Tracfone, Net10 and Straight Talk are interchangeable. Don't be one of them.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast