Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Waiting for Android 4.4 on Tracfone...

Phone
    S390G LG500G T404G T301G V170
    Carrier
    TracFone (AT&T SIM)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by annepani View Post
    And if they do run out of minutes, a Tracfone Android costs as little as $7 per month to operate. A Net10 Android costs $50 per month, month in month out, no matter how little you use it.
    Less actually. Depending on one's airtime needs.
    Add 1yr at purchase on the web site for $50, along with a $20 90 day card.
    That's 15 months for $70, or $4.67/mo.
    Double the minutes with a $30 card instead, at $5.33/mo (and there are decent bonus codes for that one)
    Or even the $40 card (more than 3x the minutes of the $20 card plus bonus codes), for a whopping $6/mo.

Not sure if you can add the 1yr of airtime to a pin purchased seperately, but if so, that $40 card can be had for $32, making it $5.47/mo.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ST Dog View Post
    Double the minutes with a $30 card instead, at $5.33/mo (and there are decent bonus codes for that one)
    Or even the $40 card (more than 3x the minutes of the $20 card plus bonus codes), for a whopping $6/mo.
    This is a thread about Tracfone Androids, not Tracfone feature phones. So you can't include bonus codes in the calculation since Tracfone Androids won't accept them.

And besides, the point of the post was that Tracfone, Net10, Straight Talk and Telcel America are not interchangeable just because they have the same parent company. No more than Virgin Mobile, Boost Mobile and Sprint Prepaid can use each other's phones and airtime cards simply because they are all owned by Sprint. $7/month Tracfone Android vs $50/month Net10 Android was just a minor point in the comparison.

Phone
    Carrier
    TracFone (AT&T SIM)
    Feedback Score
    This is a thread about Tracfone Androids, not Tracfone feature phones. So you can't include bonus codes in the calculation since Tracfone Androids won't accept them.
    Doh! :banghead: Forgot about that. Years of considering then is hard to unlearn.

I just don't care for that $7/mo advertisement. It ignores too much and has since they first used it years ago.

Feedback Score
    mooneyb1 and wtjra70, you are both missing the point. The OP wants TRACFONE Android 4.4. Your suggestions have nothing to do with Tracfone.
    Yep, the whole purpose of my post is to point out that the cheap and underpowered Android Tracfones has released would work best running Android 4.4, which is better optimized to run on low specs. Who knows if Tracfone will ever bother updating their current Androids to 4.4? In the long run, it's better to wait around till an Android 4.4 Tracfone is released, then to get stuck with their current underpowered phones. I've been patient with Tracfone for nearly a Decade now, I can wait a little while longer...and I'd rather keep my thousand+ minutes and low monthly phone bill. I can see something like the Moto G running Android 4.4 being released within the next year on Tracfone.

Phones
    BlackBerry Z10
    BlackBerry Z10
    HKC Tablet
    Carriers
    Net 10
    Feedback Score
    Phone makers don't make money on making them upgradeable... they make money by making you buy a new phone in as short a time as they can get away with.

So, no. don't expect any miracles. Just like my old Samsung Galaxy slider phone that died at 2.3.6 or some such. It could really use the update to 4.4 if they go memory light.. but since Samsung wants to sell me a new phone every year or 2 at the most, well, you get the picture.

Phone
    Carrier
    TracFone (AT&T SIM)
    Feedback Score
    All the more reason to not run OEM software.

Will TF ever have a phone supported by 3rd party builds? Dunno.
    I know some are working on CM for the Centura.
    Maybe others will follow.

Feedback Score
    As long as the phone has some version of 4.x you should be ok.. the problem is when the phone's features are not optimized, as in the ZTE Valet.. with it's sluggish lag and poorly implemented WIFI.. THAT more than anything makes me wary of buying one. Sure, I could buy it just to check out and return it if the quality is too bad. Most B&M are cool with that, maybe HSN too (but you likely pay return shipping).
    Eventually, the idea is to replace all the feature phones with smart phones, but TF is not in a rush to do that just yet. It's likely you might see versions of the current models in the major carriers hitting TF around NEXT September-- unless there's some delay, then it could be 2015, doh! I do hope value of the cards go up-- if the prices for cards don't come down.. b/c that's another barrier to entry. Heavy TF users would not want to spend heavily on cards, otherwise they might better off with a monthly unlimited svc. Currently, the $20 option is 60 minutes (90 days) which makes 180. Why not boost the base to 90 minutes JUST when added to Androids? The higher cost of phones, build quality and higher cost of minutes (since your disqualified from using BONUS codes vs a feature phone-- let's not forget some feature phones ALREADY had triple minutes) are barriers. IMO, TF needs to address all of these in the coming year to accelerate mass adoption.

AFAIK, the Huwai Glory seems to be the best phone (of the TF minutes androids) according to reviews, but it isn't available on the tf site (my zip) or most retail yet.. That's probably the one I'd get.. but its always out of stock where it IS available.. no surprise why.. if what I read is true.

Feedback Score
    have you heard that you can byop to tracfone now? check out the other threads on this forum.

Feedback Score
    Which version of the Glory are you talking about? The H868C runs an older version of Android than the Valet. The Glory 3 runs a newer version of Android but is probably too spiffy for Tracfone.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tmc8080 View Post
    AFAIK, the Huwai Glory seems to be the best phone (of the TF minutes androids) according to reviews, but it isn't available on the tf site (my zip) or most retail yet.. That's probably the one I'd get.. but its always out of stock where it IS available.. no surprise why.. if what I read is true.
    I have the Huawei Glory and I really like it. It was bought at Walmart and it seems like they are readily available at Walmarts in general.

It runs 4.0.4 which is the same version as the Samsung Centura and people are turning cartwheels over that phone.

Phone
    Carrier
    TracFone (AT&T SIM)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tmc8080 View Post
    Heavy TF users would not want to spend heavily on cards, otherwise they might better off with a monthly unlimited svc. Currently, the $20 option is 60 minutes (90 days) which makes 180. Why not boost the base to 90 minutes JUST when added to Androids? The higher cost of phones, build quality and higher cost of minutes (since your disqualified from using BONUS codes vs a feature phone-- let's not forget some feature phones ALREADY had triple minutes) are barriers. IMO, TF needs to address all of these in the coming year to accelerate mass adoption.

Heavy user and TF really don't go together. If you are a heavy user of voice, SMS, or data there are much better options.

The loss of bonus codes sucks, though I'm not surprised. I'm more surprised they didn't go away when most phones became DMFL, or been n/a for all the TMFL phones.

That said, 180 minutes + 180MB of data + 180 messages for $20 isn't a bad deal. For many it's better than the old 180 units in a common tank.
    Your proposal would only add 90 minutes/MB/messages, not really enough to say many.

And it's still the cheapest option I know of, unless you are a heavy text user (then the math gets complicated).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2