Thread: ZTE Valet WiFi

Feedback Score

ZTE Valet WiFi

I read several posts about the weak wifi connection of the ZTE Valet. While I'm having no issues connecting (however, my experience has been limited), I decided to test.

My test was conducted with the ZTE and two other devices. I was about 12 feet away from my Asus RT-N66U wireless router. All testing was on the 2.4Ghz band using inSSIDer 3.

My laptop measured -29db

My Nexus 7 (2012) measured -34 db

and the ZTE Valet was -57 db

Quite a gap for the ZTE but again, like I mentioned before, it connects and stays connected. However, a wifi hotspot might be another story.

Anyone have more real-world experience?

Feedback Score
    I have no statistics like yours but I know my Valet is hit and miss. Some times it has a good signal and sometimes it doesn't from the same location.
    A airplane mode toggle or reboot normally fixes it, that and a temperature sensitive screen, at about 40 deg and less it becomes unresponsive.
    Read that one of them phone pen things will work at that time so maybe I can dig one out and try it later this year.

Sent with the HoFo App

Feedback Score
    I went on ZTE's website support section and sent the info I have above in the original post. I haven't had any response but if I do, I send it on.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Professor Lupen View Post
    I have no statistics like yours but I know my Valet is hit and miss. Some times it has a good signal and sometimes it doesn't from the same location.
    A airplane mode toggle or reboot normally fixes it, that and a temperature sensitive screen, at about 40 deg and less it becomes unresponsive.
    Read that one of them phone pen things will work at that time so maybe I can dig one out and try it later this year.

Sent with the HoFo App
    Professor: Is the "phone pen things" a wifi booster? How big is it?

Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I had a similar experience with my Galaxy Tab 3. -20db worse reception on WiFi compared to my other devices. It also slowed down to 5Mb/down after some usage that a reboot would fix. Then the power button got sticky so back to Sprint it goes. I didn't realize how important a good WiFi connection is because I don't use WiFi on my T-Mobile phones since they have unlimited data.
    Castrol EDGE 5W-30 is my drug of choice.

Primary: iPhone 6 64GB, Galaxy Note 3, Lumia 635: 5 lines, 3x $5 Android web, 1x $2.99 T-Zones, corp discount + $10/mo loyalty discount = $93/mo tax inclusive
    Secondary: iPhone 4S & LG Ultimate 2: TracFone (Verizon)
    Tablet: iPad Mini Retina w/ T-Mobile 4G LTE ($10/mo for 5GB with hotspot)

Feedback Score
    wrj54, It would be interesting if you tested your various devices for maximum range. By free space radio theory, received power drops 6 dB per doubling of range so the Valet maximum range from the router would only be about 1/16th your other devices. The difference probably isn't quite that big in the real world, but if your result is typical, it's no wonder people have picked up on this issue.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by wrj54 View Post
    Professor: Is the "phone pen things" a wifi booster? How big is it?
    No it is like a pen or stylus that you use to write on touch screens. Sorry for any confusion .

Sent with the HoFo App