Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: CDMA 4G LTE Phones Supported?

Feedback Score

CDMA 4G LTE Phones Supported?

Hi all,

My girlfriend's family is switching to ST from Verizon. Now, she would like an HTC One or Samsung Galaxy S3. I understand the BYOD terms in regards to GSM devices - unlocked, works with particular bands, buy a matching SIM. However, I called ST Support and asked him if Verizon CDMA 4G LTE phones are supported, and he said yes.

Is this true? Can I get an unlocked CDMA HTC One and activate it through BYOD and receive Verizon service?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by danwasxx View Post
    Hi all,

My girlfriend's family is switching to ST from Verizon. Now, she would like an HTC One or Samsung Galaxy S3. I understand the BYOD terms in regards to GSM devices - unlocked, works with particular bands, buy a matching SIM. However, I called ST Support and asked him if Verizon CDMA 4G LTE phones are supported, and he said yes.

Is this true? Can I get an unlocked CDMA HTC One and activate it through BYOD and receive Verizon service?
    nope, straight talks verizon service currently only supports 3G & older phones. no LTE phones yet. only straight talk service that has LTE
    are AT&T - sprint.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by october262 View Post
    nope, straight talks verizon service currently only supports 3G & older phones. no LTE phones yet. only straight talk service that has LTE
    are AT&T - sprint.
    maybe it supports LTE phones but only provides 3g data service?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam73065 View Post
    maybe it supports LTE phones but only provides 3g data service?
    if you try and enter a phones imei number that has the LTE bands on straight talks activiation page it will reject it

Carrier
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    You can take a Verizon CDMA phone that also has gsm and slap a Straight Talk Att sim into it. So you can take Verizon Droid DNA and put an ST.Att sim not it and it will work

Sent with the HoFo App

Phones
    HTC Ozone
    iPhone
    HTC One V
    Carriers
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottneon View Post
    You can take a Verizon CDMA phone that also has gsm and slap a Straight Talk Att sim into it. So you can take Verizon Droid DNA and put an ST.Att sim not it and it will work

Sent with the HoFo App

This is accurate (and is what I do currently with the ST iPhone) but keep in mind that most Verizon phones don't have the correct LTE band for AT&T so you will only get HSPA+ Faux-4G speeds not LTE.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by deathcab View Post
    This is accurate (and is what I do currently with the ST iPhone) but keep in mind that most Verizon phones don't have the correct LTE band for AT&T so you will only get HSPA+ Faux-4G speeds not LTE.
    Are you sure? I recently bought a Droid 4 (CDMA/GSM 4gLTE hybrid) and I can't get it to work. I bought an AT&T compatible SIM from ST, inserted it and it doesn't recognize ANY mobile networks. The guy I bought it from told me it'd be fine if I set it to "Global" but it still doesn't work. I called ST and they said that my new SIM was active, but that ST was not recognizing the phone as a GSM phone...we checked their BYOP CDMA and sure enough, the Droid 4 isn't. Am I stuck or is there a work around? I haven't paid to get it unlocked b/c I cannot be out more money for a phone I can't use.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jleigh31879 View Post
    Are you sure? I recently bought a Droid 4 (CDMA/GSM 4gLTE hybrid) and I can't get it to work. I bought an AT&T compatible SIM from ST, inserted it and it doesn't recognize ANY mobile networks. The guy I bought it from told me it'd be fine if I set it to "Global" but it still doesn't work. I called ST and they said that my new SIM was active, but that ST was not recognizing the phone as a GSM phone...we checked their BYOP CDMA and sure enough, the Droid 4 isn't. Am I stuck or is there a work around? I haven't paid to get it unlocked b/c I cannot be out more money for a phone I can't use.
    getting the phone unlocked will only let u use the gsm part of the phone outside the united states. best bet - sell the droid 4
    and get a NEXUS 5.

Feedback Score
    The guy you bought the phone from stated "Global", this does not mean the US. The phone will work in another country fine but not in the states. You have to have the phone unlock. Any unlock phone you bring to ST that uses a sim card will be on att or t-mobile network and any sprint cdma phone will work on sprint network. If we take about flashing, that's another story...

Feedback Score
    I think his point was if it's "globally" set it would be unlocked without the need to acutally unlock it. So I'm screwed either way? Sell it and get what type of phone? I prefer Verizon towers b/c they're better in the mountain areas I live in.

Feedback Score
    I think his point was if it's "globally" set it would be unlocked without the need to acutally unlock it. So I'm screwed either way? Sell it and get what type of phone? I prefer Verizon towers b/c they're better in the mountain areas I live in.
    Get the straighttalk/Verizon Galaxy S3, it's what you want.

Sent from the hofo app on my straight talk branded iPhone 5

Phone
    Apple iPhone and an Android Tablet
    Carrier
    Straight Talk (AT&T)
    Feedback Score
    If one buys the Straight Talk branded iPhone 5, it will be on Verizon and include a Verizon LTE SIM. That SIM can be then moved to any Verizon LTE enabled phone (ones requiring a SIM).

I'm not sure why ST doesn't just sell the Verizon LTE SIM BYOD like they do with the other carriers. Purchasing an iPhone just to get the Verizon SIM is a fairly expensive option.....

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by meh123 View Post
    If one buys the Straight Talk branded iPhone 5, it will be on Verizon and include a Verizon LTE SIM. That SIM can be then moved to any Verizon LTE enabled phone (ones requiring a SIM).

I'm not sure why ST doesn't just sell the Verizon LTE SIM BYOD like they do with the other carriers. Purchasing an iPhone just to get the Verizon SIM is a fairly expensive option.....
    the iphone 5 on straight talk is on verizon, LTE is disabled it is 3G only. the only other carrier that will activiate a st iphone5 is page plus
    verizon themselves won't activiate a st iphone 5. the sim port can be used on straight talks AT&T/Tmobile byod sim.

Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by october262 View Post
    getting the phone unlocked will only let u use the gsm part of the phone outside the united states. best bet - sell the droid 4
    and get a NEXUS 5.
    That's true in this case, but the Droid 4 was one of the last phones Verizon played that game with before it was pointed out to them that they couldn't legally do that with the open access provisions they agreed to.

Feedback Score
    I have a verzion galazy 4 that i bought on ebay thinking i could use preapid verizon. Found out i cant. Is there a way to flash n use on net10 or straight talk? Verizon is just too high for me

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast