Thread: Does AT&T block unlocked T-Mobile phones with unpaid balances?

Phones
    HTC Desire Z
    HTC Google Nexus One
    HTC Tilt 2 (Sold)
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

Does AT&T block unlocked T-Mobile phones with unpaid balances?

I know AT&T and T-Mobile share a stolen/lost phone blacklist, and that they both block phones with unpaid balances, but do they share the blacklist for phones with unpaid balances?

I want to buy a T-Mobile Galaxy Note 3 and full retail is $700+
    I can get a new or slightly one on Craigslist for $500 or so. You can make sure the phone isn't stolen by buying one that includes the box and accessories and checking its IMEI but I have no way of knowing if that seller will continue paying their bill.

Anyone know?

Phones
    LG G2
    LG G2
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    It's a trap, if the seller doesn't pay the carrier what they are due, it's blacklisted. And ETF can take a few months to percolate, then wham you have a paperweight. This forum has a few threads about this issue.
    Today a group of leading venture capitalists published an open letter to the FCC calling on them to prevent what they say would be the end of net neutrality and a crippling blow to young startups.
    No Google, say it ain't (or wouldn't of been ) so! ATT and Verizon would have killed their own cash cow.

Phones
    HTC Desire Z
    HTC Google Nexus One
    HTC Tilt 2 (Sold)
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I'm not looking at any specific one right now, but I just want to know if it's even possible anymore to buy a used one. I know that a stolen one is blacklisted on all carriers, but are phones blocked due to unpaid balance blocked on all carriers or just the carrier they owe money at? I saw the other threads, but they were mainly asking about stolen ones which I know are blocked.

This blacklist is going to kill the resale market once more people find out about it. Carriers and OEMs must love it. I think I'd rather not have a blacklist. It doesn't help me if my phone is stolen but it does hurt me when trying to buy or sell phones.

Phones
    Note2/Oppo7a
    Galaxy Express
    Note 2
    Carriers
    GoPhone $35
    Feedback Score
    Its not like the list will help stop phone theft. It's like the lock on your front door, it only keeps the casual thief out. People in the know know which phones can have their imeis changed and the ones that aren't easily changed quickly get sold on the international market.

It does make me wonder if the Samsung region lock was an experiment and soon all the carriers will start region locking phones.

Phones
    HTC Desire Z
    HTC Google Nexus One
    HTC Tilt 2 (Sold)
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gedster314 View Post
    Its not like the list will help stop phone theft. It's like the lock on your front door, it only keeps the casual thief out. People in the know know which phones can have their imeis changed and the ones that aren't easily changed quickly get sold on the international market.

It does make me wonder if the Samsung region lock was an experiment and soon all the carriers will start region locking phones.
    It's worse than a lock, it won't stop thieves from stealing at all and only negatively affects legitimate buyers and sellers. You can still sell the phone "AS-IS" "BAD IMEI" "FOR PARTS" and get a LOT of money out of it.

Feedback Score
    There is a high likelihood that T-Mobile and AT&T devices which did not get paid in full (non paid ETF, Suspended / Cancelled accounts, Unpaid device financing) are blocked against any US carrier. They can not be blocked internationally

Carriers
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TMOperson View Post
    There is a high likelihood that T-Mobile and AT&T devices which did not get paid in full (non paid ETF, Suspended / Cancelled accounts, Unpaid device financing) are blocked against any US carrier. They can not be blocked internationally
    They are blocked.. Even with AT&T

Sent with the HoFo App