Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Google killing 3rd party apps like Obihai/GrooveIP, whats replacement?

Feedback Score

Google killing 3rd party apps like Obihai/GrooveIP, whats replacement?

Hello folks,

Those who don't know, Google is killing Google Voice access to third party apps like Obihai/GrooveIP. I enjoyed google voice service so far and will enjoy till 15th May 2014, but any idea how to keep free VoIP landline in future?

The alternatives are not really as cheap I would like to have for domestic calling. I pay the ~1c/min. rate to Australia, India, Sweden and China calling.

I am sure new options will come up but I wonder if anybody figured out something with Obi 100?

Thanks in advance.

Carrier
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    The cheapest alternative I know of is either Ooma or Magicjack Plus. Hopefully Google does something to support Obihai.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by VisionsDivine View Post
    The cheapest alternative I know of is either Ooma or Magicjack Plus. Hopefully Google does something to support Obihai.
    Ooma is certainly not free, instead I would buy similar equipment from StraightTalk for $99+$15/month, which is exactly same as Ooma.
    MajicJack is pretty iffy from what I have heard from the users, so it is out.

Google has clearly said that it is violation of T&S (I don't know why they were sleeping so long on this?) and will not support XMPP after 14th May 2014.

Phones
    Verizon iPhone
    Droid Maxx
    Carriers
    Verizon Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by noelm View Post
    Hello folks,

Those who don't know, Google is killing Google Voice access to third party apps like Obihai/GrooveIP. I enjoyed google voice service so far and will enjoy till 15th May 2014, but any idea how to keep free VoIP landline in future?
    For a free DID your 2 main choices are IPKall or Callcentric. IPKall is on the west coast and Callcentric is on the East coast. I would choose accordingly.
    I have a free IPKall number which is forwarded to a free Anveo SIP account which I have configured as my second service provider on my Obi. I also have that number as one of my forwarding numbers in Google Voice. One advantage of doing it this way is you get full CNAM on incoming calls. Google Voice only passes the number.

When XMPP goes away just choose a cheap VoIP provider for your outgoing line that has the cheapest rates to the countries you call to and configure it on your Obi device. Take a look at Localphone. Right now I'm leaning towards callwithus for my outgoing provider. They both have cheaper rates than Google. And they both allow you to configure your outgoing CID to be your GV number.

Keep in mind that AFAIK, the "callback method" will continue to work after May 15th. This means if you don't mind initiating the call on your computer or cell phone you should still be able to use Google for your outgoing calls by just picking up the phone on your free DID line when it rings after you have initiated the call on your computer/cell phone. If you have an Android phone you can also use the Voice+ app. It's mission in life is to initiate the GV callback method. Again, as far as I know that app and the callback method should continue to work. But we won't know for sure until after May 15th or future announcements from Google. But both Localphone and Callwithus have cheaper rates to the countries you listed than Google has.

These 3 threads are on this topic:
    http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r283...h-Google-Voice
    http://slickdeals.net/f/6377020-goog...cts-and-users? And this one is only 55 pages long!
    http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...ers-READ-THIS!

Feedback Score
    That's right. Google isn't killing Talkatone, GrooveIP, they are killing the protocol these use to access GVoice which has the effect of killing them, to be sure. Taoman points out XMPP is going away (in 2014). Google has released Hangouts for Apple devices that support calling any phone number and has announced that one for Android is coming. Work the bugs out on iPhone, then roll it out to Android?

Carrier
    T-mobile,VZW
    Feedback Score
    There are lots of good quality sip providers that don't tie you into a specific device or contract. They won't be free. I personally use callwithus, VoIP.ms, callcentric. I haven't used future-nine and anveo, but a lot of folks swear by them. They all have somewhat different pricing and features.

Other than that, we will still be able to use google voice/hangouts for VoIP calls from a computer and also from iOS and Android.

It is more of a disaster for companies that have built business models based on google xmpp than for those of us who use google VoIP services directly.

Eventually, google voice will probably not be free for calls to the US/Canada anyway.
    Last edited by mch; 11-22-2013 at 08:40 PM.
    "I didn't get fat by accident. This was a personal choice. " - Kevin Gillespie

Carriers
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mch View Post
    There are lots of good quality sip providers that don't tie you into a specific device or contract. They won't be free. I personally use callwithus, VoIP.ms, callcentric. I haven't used future-nine and anveo, but a lot of folks swear by them. They all have somewhat different pricing and features.

Other than that, we will still be able to use google voice/hangouts for VoIP calls from a computer and also from iOS and Android.

It is more of a disaster for companies that have built business models based on google xmpp than for those of us who use google VoIP services directly.

Eventually, google voice will probably not be free for calls to the US/Canada anyway.
    What softphone do you use for those, and how is the call quality? I also would like one that handles SMS - cheap is fine, doesn't need to be free. I can't find the combination of reliability and features. Anveo looks close to what I need, but what softphone to use and how is the call quality? Interfacing with Android (logs, contacts, dialer) is key, too.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kirt View Post
    What softphone do you use for those, and how is the call quality? I also would like one that handles SMS - cheap is fine, doesn't need to be free. I can't find the combination of reliability and features. Anveo looks close to what I need, but what softphone to use and how is the call quality? Interfacing with Android (logs, contacts, dialer) is key, too.
    I can't speak for mch, but I have Callcentric which is very cheap. GV call forwarded to Callcentric, which interfaces with csipsimple. BTW, the native Android dialer is capable of VoIP (goto call settings -> internet call settings -> accounts -> add SIP info). I don't use it because its not worth the extra battery drain when I'm only doing VoIP part time. SMS (via GV app) is handled thro the native messaging app.

Carriers
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    I tried that setup, but Callcentric doesn't do SMS, and I want to keep using Hangouts for SMS, not Google Voice. CSipSimple doesn't do G729, which is the only low-bandwidth codec that I seem to be able to get to work well. It is a very good program for Android integration, though.

It just doesn't seem like mobile VOIP is ready for prime time, yet. I'll keep watching, though.

Feedback Score
    If you're a Hangouts user, you should be fine, I can't imagine Google not adding VoIP capability soon. G729 works with csipsimple.
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ns.codecs.g729

Carrier
    Lycamobile
    Feedback Score
    I use VoIP.ms on CSipSimple and gsm instead of G729 when on mobile data. I haven't had any problem with this set up so far.

Carrier
    T-mobile,VZW
    Feedback Score
    If you want VoIP with SMS in a non-google app, there are always sendhub and line2. Not free though. Sendhub does allow a very little bit of usage without paying. Enough to try a few test calls/messages.

Hangouts on iOS already supports VoIP. I expect the Android version will soon.

Feedback Score
    Here's another response to Google's move. Talkatone has a new update available in the Playstore. They are offering free numbers with free incoming calls. Solutions are starting to emerge...

It'll be interesting to see how things develop. One thing is for sure. VoIP will continue to evolve.

Carriers
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by afblangley View Post
    Here's another response to Google's move. Talkatone has a new update available in the Playstore. They are offering free numbers with free incoming calls. Solutions are starting to emerge...

It'll be interesting to see how things develop. One thing is for sure. VoIP will continue to evolve.
    I am using the new Talkatone. A bit disconcerting that it was just kind of stuck out there with little information. It explains that incoming calls and all SMS is free, but says that you have only 10 minutes free of outgoing calls. Sounds great, but there is no explanation of how to get or pay for more outgoing minutes.

I would like to know more about the methods they are using as well. Do they have a SIP provider backend? Which one? What codecs are they using?

Need lots more info, but it shows promise.

Carriers
    T-Mobile
    Lyca
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by afblangley View Post

By the time time they will shut down other services Hangouts will offer voice calling for sure.

Sent with the HoFo App

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast