Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Is Straight Talk/AT&T crippling Youtube or is there something wrong with my phone?

Feedback Score

Is Straight Talk/AT&T crippling Youtube or is there something wrong with my phone?

I know youtube is not allowed on Straight Talk but I only used it occasionally when I had the 3G/4G H+ SIM card with an Atrix 4G phone and youtube ran fine. Now that I have the 4G LTE SIM card with an AT&T Galaxy Note 2 phone, youtube is completely and frustratingly not usable. It would take 30 secs or more to load, play for 1 sec, then 30 secs of loading, play another sec and repeat the process.

Anyone else experience this or is there something wrong with my phone? I have a full signal and this happens everywhere and anytime day or night. I am thinking of going back to my old SIM and see if there's any difference. LTE does not feel any faster to me than H+ in normal usage like web browsing, email etc. Maybe faster in downloading a file but who cares?

Carriers
    Straight Talk BYOD AT&T (Current)
    Feedback Score
    Must be something on your end because I just got done watching a couple HD nexus 5 YouTube videos via hspa+.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by giant22000 View Post
    Must be something on your end because I just got done watching a couple HD nexus 5 YouTube videos via hspa+.
    Can you try it on LTE? When I was on HSPA+ (same as H+ ?), I had no trouble with youtube. Problem started with LTE and a LTE phone and the tfdata sim card.

Phone
    Samsung GS II Skyrocket
    Carrier
    Straight Talk AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Think it might be your phone. Youtube and other streaming video sites work fine on my ST AT&T 4G Samsung GS II Skyrocket.
    Caveat emptor.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WackyT View Post
    Think it might be your phone. Youtube and other streaming video sites work fine on my ST AT&T 4G Samsung GS II Skyrocket.
    Thanks. Which sim and what apn settings are you using?

Sent with the HoFo App

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by nomos View Post
    I know youtube is not allowed on Straight Talk but I only used it occasionally when I had the 3G/4G H+ SIM card with an Atrix 4G phone and youtube ran fine. Now that I have the 4G LTE SIM card with an AT&T Galaxy Note 2 phone, youtube is completely and frustratingly not usable. It would take 30 secs or more to load, play for 1 sec, then 30 secs of loading, play another sec and repeat the process.

Anyone else experience this or is there something wrong with my phone? I have a full signal and this happens everywhere and anytime day or night. I am thinking of going back to my old SIM and see if there's any difference. LTE does not feel any faster to me than H+ in normal usage like web browsing, email etc. Maybe faster in downloading a file but who cares?
    YouTube on my iPhone 5 unlocked ST AT&T sim with tfdata apn barely works. It's like they are throttling it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Phone
    Samsung GS II Skyrocket
    Carrier
    Straight Talk AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by nomos View Post
    Thanks. Which sim and what apn settings are you using?

Sent with the HoFo App
    I have the new LTE SIM and am using the tfdata APN.

Sent with the HoFo App

Feedback Score
    It's my understanding that streaming video and audio was against the terms of service.

Carrier
    AT&T GoPhone x2 (iPhone 5 and iPad Mini)
    Feedback Score
    Galaxy Nexus , HSPA+ with an AT&T ST SIM: Listening to a video from YouTube as I type this.

Feedback Score
    I thought that ever since they made their 2.5 gig limit public that iwas okay to stream audio?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by zgrm View Post
    I thought that ever since they made their 2.5 gig limit public that iwas okay to stream audio?
    I mean, i've been doing light audio streaming, with no problems so far....i still believe to be on the safe side it's best to keep video streaming to a minimum..I do know however that with the OLD apn settings the att.mvno apn did block access to certain things like iphone App Store downloads, certain speed test websites and apps, and other known video streaming apps.

I'm noticing with the new tfdata apn, nothing is blocked, everything works, and since a few weeks ago, I recently have LTE service around the home area, and network quality has really improved.

Feedback Score
    I am having the same problem. I have a T-Mobile branded LG G2, switched to a AT&T Straight Talk LTE sim, everything works fine, calls web browsing, but when I try to watch You Tube, I always see the circle spinning, waiting for the video to load, and when it starts to play, it will stop and I'll see the spinning circle again. I used to be with AT&T and didn't have this problem, so I am thinking that Straight Talk is somehow throttling video, I am getting frustrated and thinking about trying AIO. But I don't want to spend $20 more a month just so I can watch videos from time to time, not sure what I will do.

Feedback Score
    Interesting some people have trouble with YouTube on tfdata sim and some don't. Now that they have a defined 2.5 gig limit before throttling I don't understand why they are crippling some apps. I feel that I should have the right to use whatever app I want however I want. I wonder what othe apps are crippled?

Good that I have Google Voice and pay by the month. I think I will try Tmobile's $30 5 gig lte 200 min plan and use GV and Talkatone for phone and if that's not enough try the $70 unlim talk lte. I don't think Tmobile cripples any apps.

Does anyone know how long I can leave the straight talk's tfdata sim uncharged$$ before it goes dead completely requiring the purchase of a new sim?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using HoFo mobile app

Carrier
    AT&T, verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by chefjeff58 View Post
    I am having the same problem. I have a T-Mobile branded LG G2, switched to a AT&T Straight Talk LTE sim, everything works fine, calls web browsing, but when I try to watch You Tube, I always see the circle spinning, waiting for the video to load, and when it starts to play, it will stop and I'll see the spinning circle again. I used to be with AT&T and didn't have this problem, so I am thinking that Straight Talk is somehow throttling video, I am getting frustrated and thinking about trying AIO. But I don't want to spend $20 more a month just so I can watch videos from time to time, not sure what I will do.
    Have you tried a VPN? C spire has a 30 minute limit on video on their unlimited plan and we use a VPN to circumvent it.

Sent with the HoFo App

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kneedragger32 View Post
    Have you tried a VPN? C spire has a 30 minute limit on video on their unlimited plan and we use a VPN to circumvent it.

Sent with the HoFo App
    i remember once i saw a vpn program for iphone that promised to "compress" the data going back and forth, thus using less data or something....after trying it out i saw that its painstakingly slow...:/

Sent with the HoFo App on iPad 4

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast