Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Can't receive MMS with ST sim in iphone or android phone

Carrier
    ATT
    Feedback Score

Can't receive MMS with ST sim in iphone or android phone

Suddenly I have no data or mms and after searching around I read about the new tfdata apn so I put the new apn in but now everything works except I can't receive mms. I tried the sim in an iphone and android phone and its doing the same thing. Some people say I need a new sim card and others say I need to update to the new carrier on the iphone but the sim does the same thing on the android phone so i'm all confused I have 3 other ST phones (2 android and 1 other iphone) and they are working normal. This happened after I refilled. What do I need to do ?

Thanks

Phones
    neXus 4
    neXus 4
    Galaxy SIII
    Carrier
    Straight Talk ATT
    Feedback Score
    What sim do you have? new lte version or hspa mvno?
    neXus 4 | DBrand White Carbon Fiber Skin | Ringke Fusion Case | iSmooth Screen Protector | Straight Talk AT&T Sim
    Titanium Galaxy SIII T999 | Body Glove ShockSuit Case | iSmooth Screen Protector | Straight Talk AT&T Sim

Carrier
    ATT
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 1SLOW4G View Post
    What sim do you have? new lte version or hspa mvno?
    I have the older sim. The APN was always att.mvno then after a refill the data stopped. When I put the tfdata apn everything works except incoming MMS. When I put that sim in my android phone (which is on ST with no problems) its doing the same thing. Was on the phone with ST support for 45 minutes and they say that they don't guarantee MMS to work even though its been working for months.

Feedback Score
    I lost my data right about when my auto reload date is (yesterday, or overnight Fri)
    I don't know if MMS was disabled then too, I did not test before finding a solution to data and learning MMS is a problem unless using i-message on both ends (But some of you are saying you can send, so I gotta test that more)

I was tipped off to the tfdata "profile" link and that's what got my data going again.

Before using the tfdata profile I tried the sim swap method that got me going a year ago, and it did not work.
    I was wondering if you leave the tfdata profile alone, and open up the hidden APN with the sim swap, could you just enter the
    old info in the MMS section and it might still work? or just opening that window deletes the profile?

I'm going to have to switch if a work around is not found soon, I rely on images from non i-phone users for work.
    and e-mailing is too cumbersome compared to a simple MMS text.

iPhone 4s
    unlocked
    iOs 6.0 (never wanted to update since I was afraid the APN trick might not work if i messed with it)
    old SIM card from a year ago when I signed up

Phones
    Samsung x427m
    Nokia 6590i
    Ericsson T28
    Carrier
    Cingular for 8 yrs;
    Feedback Score
    I have a locked 4S on iOS 6,1,3 and the old sim running on ATT.MVNO.
    Thursday night (as best I could tell) it lost regular mms and cellular data.
    iMessage worked fine, and since I'm on WiFi most of the time, I didn't immediately realize cellular data was gone.
    Had no relation to my refill, which was a week away.

Used the sim swap method which doesn't let you see your existing APN, and put back the settings I'd used for over a year.
    Problem solved.

Either my phone glitched, or it was glitched by the carrier.
    now with H2O, after Straight Talk LTE sim debacle 4th Quarter 2013.
    Currently on locked AT&T iPhone 4S. (backup: iPhone 4)
    iOS 6.1.3, carrier 14.2, modem 3.4.03 . Data & MMS just fine.

Carrier
    ATT
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Anole View Post
    I have a locked 4S on iOS 6,1,3 and the old sim running on ATT.MVNO.
    Thursday night (as best I could tell) it lost regular mms and cellular data.
    iMessage worked fine, and since I'm on WiFi most of the time, I didn't immediately realize cellular data was gone.
    Had no relation to my refill, which was a week away.

Used the sim swap method which doesn't let you see your existing APN, and put back the settings I'd used for over a year.
    Problem solved.

Either my phone glitched, or it was glitched by the carrier.
    When I tried to put the ATT.MVNO setting back to the iPhone the data and mms did not work so I had to use the new tfdata apn settings. Thats the only apn settings that work with that sim card. I tried that sim in an android phone and I still can't receive MMS so its not the phone, has to be something with the sim or provisioning of the sim.

Feedback Score
    I'm in the same boat as VIN,
    I have never paid attention to "carrier update" I see some posts about it, but I have never gotten a message or update request to do one?
    mine says AT&T 13.0 , how is an update caused or suggested to you? a message from ST , or Apple? never saw one.

Thanks !

Phones
    neXus 4
    neXus 4
    Galaxy SIII
    Carrier
    Straight Talk ATT
    Feedback Score
    did you input: default,mms,supl under APN Type?

Phone
    Apple iPhone 5s
    Carrier
    Straight Talk (AT&T SIM)
    Feedback Score
    vin,

It seems counterintuitive, but the tfdata settings that fill in with the TFW carrier update are correct, sim swap shouldn't change much. I did seem to jump start the process by playing with MMS message size a bit (see previous posts in the other MMS thread), but now the autofill TFW settings work fine. How long has it been since you lost data the first time and had to switch to tfdata?

Carrier
    ATT
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hayburner View Post
    vin,

It seems counterintuitive, but the tfdata settings that fill in with the TFW carrier update are correct, sim swap shouldn't change much. I did seem to jump start the process by playing with MMS message size a bit (see previous posts in the other MMS thread), but now the autofill TFW settings work fine. How long has it been since you lost data the first time and had to switch to tfdata?

What do you mean by autofill ? I lost data when I refilled on thursday. On Friday I changed it to the tfdata apn and that gave me data and sending mms but can not receive mms.

Phone
    Apple iPhone 5s
    Carrier
    Straight Talk (AT&T SIM)
    Feedback Score
    Is your phone on iOS 7.0.3? Does it say TFW in the upper left as your carrier?

If the answer to both of those questions is "yes", then the APN settings by default should be filled in with the correct tfdata APN settings (no profile needed).

Carrier
    ATT
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hayburner View Post
    Is your phone on iOS 7.0.3? Does it say TFW in the upper left as your carrier?

If the answer to both of those questions is "yes", then the APN settings by default should be filled in with the correct tfdata APN settings (no profile needed).
    I have 2 iPhones

iPhone 4 IOS 7.0.3 Carrier TFW 15.6
    iPhone 4s IOS 6.1.3 Carrier AT&T 14.2

I did a network reset on the iPhone 4, made no changes to the APN and still can't receive MMS.

Feedback Score
    I have fixed my mms receive problem.
    My MMS receive and data stopped working after a refill.
    The tfdata APN fixed my data easily, but MMS receive was still out.
    No APN settings would fix it.
    I bought a new sim card to replace my year old card (that had worked well most of that time) from Straight Talk for $7.
    I powered down the phone, put in the new sim, and moved my service to the new sim on the web site.
    I powered back up and eventually got these settings to work.

Please do not type in the extra spaces shown below.

Cell Data APN: tfdata

MMS APN: tfdata
    MMSC: h t t p : / / m m s c . c i n g u l a r . c o m
    MMS Proxy: 66.209.11.33:80
    MMS Max Message Size: 1048576
    MMS UA Prof URL: h t t p : / / w w w . a p p l e . c o m / m m s / u a p r p f . r d f

My phone is an iPhone 4, jailbroken so that I could enter the above values.
    It uses IOS 5.1.1 and still has carrier AT&T 12.0 show up in the About page, so the HOME title still appears next to the cell bars.

I wish ST customer service could have told me about this, it could have saved me a couple of weeks of frustration.

All works now!!!

Carrier
    ATT
    Feedback Score
    Is this problem only affecting iPhones on ST ? My two Android phones on ST got refilled and are still working ok with ATT.MVNO.
    My other iPhone also stopped working after the refill but as soon as I changed the apn to TFDATA everything worked including receive MMS. Weird how one iPhone still doesn't work and the other is ok. One is a 4 and the other is a 4s if that makes a difference..

Feedback Score
    My guess is that the vintage of the sim card makes a difference if it will ever happen, and that there is some kind of roll out taking place that determines when.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast