Thread: ZTE Valet no network

Feedback Score

ZTE Valet no network

While driving down the road I noticed that when I left the county I live in I no longer had a network connection (cell signal) for cell phone service. I could not make any calls or receive any calls. Light was just flashing red. The area I was in is a strong Verizon area. I had a CDMA Tracfone several years ago that ran on Verizon that worked great no matter where I went. So what's wrong with this phone? I could not get a cell signal until I returned to the county I live in.

Feedback Score
    cdma phones on net10 may or may not roam, it all depends if the cellular provider has roaming agreements.

Feedback Score
    This is a Tracfone. I had a CDMA Tracfone before and did not have this problem with roaming.

Feedback Score
    You need to update the PRL Preferred Roaming List that is stored in the phone.

When you are in your home area, dial *228 as if you are calling someone. Then select Option 2. The phone will update its roaming capabilities.

Feedback Score
    How's that different from dialing *22890 ?

Feedback Score
    *22890 and *22891 don't always work, but they are supposed to be the same as *228 Option 1 and *228 Option 2 respectively.

Sometimes one way will work and the other won't and vice versa.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the info. Tried the *228 and got the successful message. Will see what happens next time I leave the "home" area. Is this something we should do every so often?

Feedback Score
    Yes, you should update the PRL every so often. The phone will even show you what the current PRL is, in the form of a 5-digit number. On my phone it is under Settings > Phone Info > Version. You can see if it changes when you ask for an update.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Lisme View Post
    Yes, you should update the PRL every so often. The phone will even show you what the current PRL is, in the form of a 5-digit number. On my phone it is under Settings > Phone Info > Version. You can see if it changes when you ask for an update.
    I did the *228 opt 2 on my ZTE Valet (on Verizon). It said it updated successfully and rebooted. However, my PRL number did not change. Now the phone is only a week or so old. Am I correct in assuming it didn't need an update (that it was already up-to-date) or is some wrong? Also, under Mobile Network, I do not have Data Enabled (over mobile) nor Data Roaming checked. I checked it once and it gave me a warning that I may incurred significant costs. That scared me off.

Feedback Score
    wrj54,

I have Data Enabled (over mobile) and Data Roaming unchecked - so those are fine as is - since the phone should not be trying to use data for a mobile call AFAIK. I'm not sure if you'd see the PRL change or not - if the system does not need to change it, then it won't change for sure.

Maybe these Tracfone Androids don't roam based on what's happening with yours?

I wish I knew of a place I could go to and test if mine roams or not. Anyone have any thoughts no how to do that?
    Cheers!

Feedback Score
    i know cdma phones on tracfone are suppose to roam (unless something has changed) net10 cdma phones are a hit & miss when roaming
    and straight talk cdma phones are on prepaid verizon/sprint and are non roaming native coverage only.

Feedback Score
    I found this which is the tutorial on the ZTE Valet and mentions #22890. However, my PRL still didn't change.

http://tracfone.deviceanywhere.com/t...ropagation=end

Feedback Score
    *22890 is for the initial activation where you are programming it onto the cell network. It puts in a PRL also at that time.

*22891 is for updating the PRL part without messing with the phone's programming.

It shouldn't hurt anything if you re-do *22890 on a working phone. I have done this just messing around.

A while ago, there was someone who lived where he was assigned to Verizon. He was on the border between Verizon and some local carrier. The reception was terrible on Verizon, but he knew that it would be good on the local carrier, but the phone wouldn't roam there. We recommended a PRL update, and the phone picked up the local carrier full-time. Tracfone was not happy with this guy and told him he shouldn't have messed with the PRL (he had been consulting with Tracfone for some reason). Tracfone wanted to send him another phone with the restricted PRL. But we said that you need good reception in case of emergency at home, not crummy reception. So if Tracfone doesn't like roaming, they shouldn't allow subscribers in certain areas.

Since the Tracfone Android system is obviously based on the Page Plus system, the roaming situation is likely to be a headache. Page Plus charges exorbitantly for roaming. So it remains to be seen if Tracfone Android will have free roaming or if it will be like Net10/StraightTalk. Verizon must hate roaming unless you pay them big bucks for a contract. Prepaids need not apply, except for regular Tracfones for some reason.