Thread: Droid X2, Erratic Battery Drain

Feedback Score

Droid X2, Erratic Battery Drain

I posted this in the wrong forum the other day...

For those who don't want to read the whole question:
    Battery drains extremely fast when surfing the web, but not fast at all when watching videos.

Ok, so...

When trying to surf the web for more than a few minutes at a time (over WiFi or 3G) the battery usually drains crazy fast. It does this no matter what browser I use (stock, Opera, Boat Mini, Next Browser, etc).

The battery will go from 100% and drop to 50% in about 10 minutes of straight web browsing, then it will drop to 30% or 20% in a matter of a minute or three. Then I'll get a low battery warning and the phone will shut off.

Here's the kicker. I tried testing the life of battery the other day by going to you tube (via the app) and playing a full length concert, purposely leaving my phone unplugged. The concert played (over WiFi) for 1hr and 40m before the phone shut down!!

There's no rogue app draining the battery at this time. The ebay app was draining it in the past, but I uninstalled it.

And here's the thing. Even after the battery goes dead and the phone shuts off, sometimes (not all the time) when I plug it back into the charger it will say it's 50% charged right away and will be 100% charged in a matter of 10-15 minutes! other times it will take two hours. What's going on? Bad battery? or just the way it is?

Carrier
    Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    Get you a new battery....

Viper

Phone
    Samsung Galaxy S2 SCH-R760
    Carrier
    Page Plus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Yeah it's the sign of a bad Batery "It's Dying/Dead Jim!"

Had this happen to me when I was using my Droid X2 on Verizon, ended up changing from the standard to an extended and that fixed the issue.

Phone
    HTC Droid Incredible 2
    Carriers
    PagePlus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Largo05 View Post
    "It's Dying/Dead Jim!"
    Lol!!!!!!!

Phone
    Carrier
    Page Plus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    Lol!!!!!!!

Phone
    Droid x2
    Carrier
    Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    Mine is doing the same. Ordered one of the extended, but not jumbo sized batteryes. 1800 mah or something. Amazon was cheap.

Feedback Score
    Yep, I had the same problem with an X2. A new extended battery did wonders. The phone is usable again.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Timlin View Post
    Yep, I had the same problem with an X2. A new extended battery did wonders. The phone is usable again.
    Do you need the extended batter cover too?

Thanks everyone fro responding.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Frankie500 View Post
    Yes. The one below is what I bought and comes with a cover. It's not a great fit but it works ok.

I'm not allowed to post links yet but search ebay for this title "EW 3800mAh extended battery Motorola Droid X MB810; X2 MB870 + Back Cover"

Phone
    Droid x2
    Carrier
    Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Frankie500 View Post

Thanks everyone fro responding.
    The one that Timlin references comes with a cover. The one I got is the factory extended battery, and is only 20% higher cap than the regular battery. It will fit with the regular battery door.

Phone
    Carrier
    Page Plus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by szembek View Post
    The one that Timlin references comes with a cover. The one I got is the factory extended battery, and is only 20% higher cap than the regular battery. It will fit with the regular battery door.
    Actually, don't do this, I have heard stories of things going wrong, if you get the 1800mah extended battery, get the one with the battery cover with it, you can usually get both for about $20 off of ebay. Do not use the stock battery cover with the extended battery, bad things can happen!

Phone
    Droid x2
    Carrier
    Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Largo05 View Post
    Actually, don't do this, I have heard stories of things going wrong, if you get the 1800mah extended battery, get the one with the battery cover with it, you can usually get both for about $20 off of ebay. Do not use the stock battery cover with the extended battery, bad things can happen!
    I read enough comments of people doing just fine with the stock door that I felt fine doing it also. So far so good. Door went on fairly easily and stays on perfectly fine on both mine and my wife's x2s. I paid $8 a piece for these.