Thread: How to configure nexus 5 to only use data for mms

Feedback Score

How to configure nexus 5 to only use data for mms

Hi,

I got a nexus 5 for a friend who has a tmobile plan with unlimited voice and text (including pictures) but no data. The plan is to use only wifi for internet but I know mms must have cellular data on. How do you configure it to only use cellular data for mms only. Do I change the apn type to mms only and delete all other types. Thanks for your help and advice.

Feedback Score
    There's no special configuration that needs to be done. If the phone is on wifi it will still use the correct internal settings to send and receive MMS. Just like if the phone is on wifi it will still receive and plane calls via the cellular network.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jet1000 View Post
    There's no special configuration that needs to be done. If the phone is on wifi it will still use the correct internal settings to send and receive MMS. Just like if the phone is on wifi it will still receive and plane calls via the cellular network.
    I guess what I mean is how to change the apn settings so that mobile data is only used for mms. since there is no data plan we want to make sure data isn't used except for mms.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mf6764 View Post
    I guess what I mean is how to change the apn settings so that mobile data is only used for mms. since there is no data plan we want to make sure data isn't used except for mms.
    If there is no data plan then tmobile is the one blocking data use. You don't have to change the phone settings. When there is a messaging plan tmobile will permit MMS to be sent and received via the MMS URL that will already be entered in the phone.

Feedback Score
    Thanks I wasn't aware of that. I thought they might charge you per usage.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mf6764 View Post
    Thanks I wasn't aware of that. I thought they might charge you per usage.
    No, there's no per usage charge for data on T-Mobile. If you didn't have a messaging plan, I do think they charge per MMS. But with unlimited messaging, MMS is included (along with any data necessary for the MMS).