Thread: Motorola's Moto G

Carrier(s)
    Koodo
    Feedback Score

Post Motorola's Moto G

Name:  moto-g.jpg
Views: 5542
Size:  41.4 KB

This morning I visited the swanky offices of Google Toronto to watch the launch of a new Motorola handset, broadcast live from Brazil to select audiences in London, Mexico City and Toronto — along with the rest of the world via YouTube.

That handset is the Moto G. The 'G' stands for 'global'.

It's touted as delivering a premium smartphone experience for a third of the price. In some parts of the world it will be a revolutionary device. In the United States it will be at the very least a massive bargain. In Canada? Well, in Canada it'll be locked to Telus...

Specs

Here's a copy/paste from Moto's press release, with marketing-speak removed and additional info corroborated from Android Central:

• 4.5-inch edge-to-edge 720p display
    • Qualcomm Snapdragon 400 quad-core processor
    • 1GB RAM
    • 8GB or 16GB of storage, with two free years of 50GB on Google Drive
    • 5 megapixel rear camera; 1.3 megapixel on the front
    • GSM (850/900/1800/1900 MHz); UMTS (850/900/1700/1900/2100 MHz); CDMA (850/1900 MHz). No LTE.
    • Android 4.3 Jellybean, guaranteed upgrade to Android 4.4 KitKat in early 2014
    • 19 customization options, including interchangeable Motorola Shells and Flip Shells in seven colours, Grip Shells in five colours

Price

This is the amazing part. In the United States you'll be able to buy the Moto G directly from Motorola.com, SIM-unlocked, at these prices:

• 8GB - $179 USD
    • 16GB - $199 USD

In some parts of the world the Moto G will even have dual SIM support. The direct quote from Motorola CEO Dennis Woodside was:

"In countries where it matters..."
    Doesn't it matter everywhere?

Availability

The Moto G will be available for purchase today in Brazil. The U.S. launch is scheduled for early January. Canada will get it sooner, in just a few weeks.

Sucks for Canada

And here's where it gets depressing. In Canada the Moto G will be an exclusive to Telus and Koodo, and will be SIM-locked. The 8GB model will set you back $200 CAD.

First Impressions

The G feels in every way like a quality device, at least on par with the Moto X. I got to take one home with me — along with the mandatory Telus SIM card — and will be posting more about it tomorrow.

Final Thought

After the broadcast ended there were a few words by Motorola's Canadian CEO, who spoke about Motorola delivering on Google's mission "to organize the world's information and make it accessible and usable".

Had the Moto G been made available worldwide, with every device unlocked and supporting dual-SIMs, it would be a game-changer — and indeed it probably will be in the markets where these criteria are met.

As for Canada, at least you can change the back cover...
    My mobile memoirs — free ebook available here.
    My HoFo feedback... is that still a thing?

Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Does it have a MicroSD? 8GB is fine if there's a MicroSD, it's a deal breaker if there isn't.

Carrier(s)
    Koodo
    Feedback Score
    [breaks seal on box, almost breaks fingernails prying off back...] Looks like no.

And they did give me the 8GB one; will be interesting to see how quick the memory fills up!

Device(s)
    Moto X SkyNET edition
    Carrier(s)
    To be determined
    Feedback Score
    Appears to be a lot of phone for the money, unlock codes should be 8 bucks or less.
    howard - I highly doubt it will have microsd, its a google(motorola) phone and a lower end one at that.

Carrier(s)
    Koodo
    Feedback Score
    So here's some news:

#MotoG Dual SIM will be available in India and Brasil — Guy Kawasaki (@GuyKawasaki) November 13, 2013
    These will be huge on the grey market, I'll bet...

Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheSteve View Post
    Appears to be a lot of phone for the money, unlock codes should be 8 bucks or less.
    howard - I highly doubt it will have microsd, its a google(motorola) phone and a lower end one at that.
    I think the specs are mis-matched then. I'd trade the quad-core processor for a dual-core with a Micro SD slot any day of the week. 8GB isn't that much, especially if part of that 8GB is eaten up by Android. Let's assume there's 5.5GB of usable space. That fills up really fast unless you never download anything interesting to the device.

Device(s)
    Samsung S5
    Carrier(s)
    Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Guess that is why they toss 50 GB Google Drive storage to make up for no microSD slot.

Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Archmagus View Post
    Guess that is why they toss 50 GB Google Drive storage to make up for no microSD slot.
    It's not the same thing, the type of person who would want this phone probably won't have a plan with a huge data bucket plus you can't run apps off of Google Drive.

Device(s)
    Moto X SkyNET edition
    Carrier(s)
    To be determined
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by howard View Post
    I think the specs are mis-matched then. I'd trade the quad-core processor for a dual-core with a Micro SD slot any day of the week. 8GB isn't that much, especially if part of that 8GB is eaten up by Android. Let's assume there's 5.5GB of usable space. That fills up really fast unless you never download anything interesting to the device.
    I agree, but its clear google's dream is to push everything to the cloud.

Device(s)
    Leeco x527 Le 2,Xiaomi Redmi note 3 Pro Snapdragon 650,LG G3's for wife,daughter and son :)
    Carrier(s)
    Virgin, HOT mobile Israel.
    Feedback Score
    I think you are exaggerating with the sucks for Canada. How hard is it to get it unlocked?

Carrier(s)
    Koodo
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by howard View Post
    Let's assume there's 5.5GB of usable space.
    5.01GB, to be exact. More tomorrow!

Carrier(s)
    Koodo
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ijcy View Post
    I think you are exaggerating with the sucks for Canada. How hard is it to get it unlocked?
    It's the SIM lock and the price — Canadians will be paying more for a device that they can only use with Telus or Koodo.

And I'm not sure if the 16GB will even be available here...

Device(s)
    V65E4710, A3LSMG925W8, PDNRM-975, IHDT56PG3, QMNRM-11, L6ARCV70UW, L6ARJE180LW
    Carrier(s)
    TELUS, Bell, SpeakOut, CSL, au by KDDI
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Folks,

A few things I want to chime in...

1. Dual-SIM card support makes sense in certain regions as subscribers often use more than just one network operator. I also use a Hong Kong based prepaid SIM card while travelling to the mainland China with another local prepaid SIM Card. With the dual-SIM card support in in device, it is handy to stay in touch while travelling to different regions. Talking of it, accurie, does it use nanoSIM or increasingly common microSIM or the good old regular miniSIM card?

2. Moto G, of course, is targeting the frugal frontier. No LTE may not be a big problem to the subscribers who may not even have data subscription or using the network operators that have not deployed the LTE yet (like Wind or Mobilicity). However, the lack of external memory support is a bit disappointing. Sure, there is always WiFi somewhere (often free) to download big files and Moto G comes with 2 years of fee 50GB Google Drive access. But, 8GB of memory is not going to satisfy some demanding users while media / data / cache files start to accumulate few months down the road.

I guess it is more about Google's direction with its Google-centric products and services in the cloud as well as not putting itself in an awkward position to "compete" with the other Android device vendors on the entry-level / budget segment. Keeping the cost as low as possible without sacrificing the experience, it is a fine line to cross.
    --

HC - NO "i"
    I am NOT "the" HC, we are TWO different individuals!

"If we amplify everything, we hear nothing!" - Jon Stewart, Comedian

Carrier(s)
    Koodo
    Feedback Score
    As has been mentioned previously, getting most phones unlocked is neither difficult nor expensive. I purchased a Moto X, which is supposed to be a Rogers/Fido exclusive, and have it unlocked and running on Koodo with no problems. I'm sure the same can be done with the Moto G. But most people don't even realise such things can be done. However I do agree such a process shouldn't be made necessary by making certain phones an exclusive at any carrier. I think that mistake alone has cost the Moto X a lot of potential sales. Another mistake was not offering the 32GB version and or Moto Maker option here in Canada. I know it almost cost them my sale. I've talked with many family and friends who were wondering what kind of Voodoo I performed to accomplish such a seemingly impossible feat of daring do. But I can assure you the Moto X is my very first mobile device ever and it was really quite simple with the help of the good folks here at HoFo. :-)

Getting back to the Moto G, I think we should recognise it for what it isn't and what it is. It is neither a flagship nor a premium phone killa. However it is a phone designed for the third world where lack of LTE might not be such an issue and also for first world users who are on a strict budget. So far, it seems to satisfy both of those needs nicely. Would I give up my Moto X for a G now? Nope. But if the Moto G had been available back when I first needed a cell phone, it might have been a different story.

Carrier(s)
    Koodo
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by HC - NO "i" View Post
    Talking of it, acurrie, does it use nanoSIM or increasingly common microSIM or the good old regular miniSIM card?
    It takes a microSIM. And since the back cover comes off (for customization) there's a spring-loaded slot for it in the back rather than one of those fiddly trays that pop out from the side.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast