Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Current Status of AT&T SIM Cards from ST

Feedback Score

Current Status of AT&T SIM Cards from ST

Last time I checked a few months ago, ST and Net10 were scuttling AT&T BYOD SIM cards in an effort to push everyone to T-Mobile. But today I see on both of their websites that I can now buy an AT&T SIM card in their BYOD plans. Are they the real deal? Can I buy one now, stick it in a locked AT&T iPhone 4s and use full data with no changes to the phone or account? (Plug and play, so to speak). Any gotchas or drawbacks?

Phones
    Nokia E71
    Nokia E71
    Iphone 3g
    Carriers
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by aKansasKid View Post
    Last time I checked a few months ago, ST and Net10 were scuttling AT&T BYOD SIM cards in an effort to push everyone to T-Mobile. But today I see on both of their websites that I can now buy an AT&T SIM card in their BYOD plans. Are they the real deal? Can I buy one now, stick it in a locked AT&T iPhone 4s and use full data with no changes to the phone or account? (Plug and play, so to speak). Any gotchas or drawbacks?
    ahhhhhhhhhhh no.cannot plug and play.

theres tutorials on it.you want plug and lay get a st branded phone.

Feedback Score
    That's disappointing. At http://stbyop.com/straighttalk/ I entered my IMEI and zip code and it returned that my iPhone 4s was compatible with ST and I only needed to use the AT&T SIM card from their Activation Kit. I think other threads have suggested that the latest AT&T LTE SIM card from ST would work (no APN changes needed) if the 4s were on iOS 7.0.3 with AT&T update 15.6. Of course that ST link I provided here says that not all phones will be able to be activated, even if compatible, and that they wouldn't know until you tried. Right. I'm still muddled about whether this will work, I guess.

Phones
    Nokia E71
    Nokia E71
    Iphone 3g
    Carriers
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    That's disappointing. At http://stbyop.com/straighttalk/ I entered my IMEI and zip code and it returned that my iPhone 4s was compatible with ST and I only needed to use the AT&T SIM card from their Activation Kit. I think other threads have suggested that the latest AT&T LTE SIM card from ST would work (no APN changes needed) if the 4s were on iOS 7.0.3 with AT&T update 15.6. Of course that ST link I provided here says that not all phones will be able to be activated, even if compatible, and that they wouldn't know until you tried. Right. I'm still muddled about whether this will work, I guess.
    far as things are it must be ois7.0.3 and update15.6.you will need to turn you phone off then set up service with new sim then turn phone back on.you should be up an running.

soo good luck in your endevor

Phones
    Samsung x427m
    Nokia 6590i
    Ericsson T28
    Carrier
    Cingular for 8 yrs;
    Feedback Score
    I've got an AT&T-locked 4S, too.
    I'm reluctant to upgrade from my iOS 6.0.3, and the previous Carrier version.
    So, I'm having troubles on my old sim (which worked fine last month).
    However, I believe the above advice is valid for a new convert.
    Please let us know.

As for the sim, you can pick up a two-kit (two sizes) at Walmart for $60, which includes your first $45 monthly service card.
    If that is more convenient.
    now with H2O, after Straight Talk LTE sim debacle 4th Quarter 2013.
    Currently on locked AT&T iPhone 4S. (backup: iPhone 4)
    iOS: 7.1.2, carrier: AT&T 16.0 , modem: 5.2.00 , Data & MMS just fine.
    Previously at: iOS 6.1.3, carrier 14.2, modem 3.4.03 .

Carrier
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cooter55 View Post
    far as things are it must be ois7.0.3 and update15.6.you will need to turn you phone off then set up service with new sim then turn phone back on.you should be up an running.

soo good luck in your endevor
    You can enable custom carrier bundles in iTunes and install the TFW 15.6 .ipcc file and you dont have to be on ios 7.0.3

Attachment 101153

Phones
    Nokia E71
    Nokia E71
    Iphone 3g
    Carriers
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Cutty636 View Post
    You can enable custom carrier bundles in iTunes and install the TFW 15.6 .ipcc file and you dont have to be on ios 7.0.3

Attachment 101153
    sounds as if you need to give a tutorial on that

Feedback Score
    My iPhone 4s is currently unactivated on any carrier. I updated it over Wi-Fi to iOS 7.0.3 this week. I noticed the carrier update is listed as 15.5. How do I get it t 15.6? Will it update itself when I activate the iPhone 4s on ST?

Carriers
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    Go to the about page under general settings. Drag your finger down the page like you refresh email and such and that should allow you to update to 15.6. There again it may be a Straight Talk thing. If this didn't work wait till you get your sim card and it should work like a champ!

Phones
    Samsung x427m
    Nokia 6590i
    Ericsson T28
    Carrier
    Cingular for 8 yrs;
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Cutty636 View Post
    Wow, what a revelation!
    That's one of the most valuable posts I've read all week.

Carrier
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cooter55 View Post
    sounds as if you need to give a tutorial on that
    Download the 15.6 file from here: http://appldnld.apple.com/iOS7/Carri...US_iPhone.ipcc

Save as ATT_TFW_US_iPhone.ipcc on you desktop, the extension has to be .ipcc

You need to have iTunes 11.0 or lower because apple patched the custom carrier enablement so you can get an older version from oldapps.com.

Windows users, you will need to open command prompt and type the following and enter it in:

64 bit: cd “C:\Program Files (x86)\iTunes” then type: iTunes.exe/setPrefInt carrier-testing 1

32 bit: cd “C:\Program Files\iTunes” then type: iTunes.exe /setPrefInt carrier-testing 1

Mac users you will need to open terminal and type the following and enter it in:

Mac: defaults write com.apple.iTunes carrier-testing -bool true

You can google Enabling Carrier Testing Mode in iTunes and find several tutorials on how to do the stated above insteuctions.

Connect your device and open iTunes and click “Update” or “Check For Update” while holding down the Alt/Option key for Mac users and the Shift key for Windows users. Click on your file extension box and select .ipcc instead of .ipsw find your 15.6 file and click it and click open. iTunes ill say updating carrier settings, takes about 5 seconds and your done.

You may have to reboot and heres the only catch about doing this on an ios version other than 7.0.3, your going to need another ST sim card because everytime you reboot your phone you will have to swap sims before you will get network service back. Just as simple as popping one out and popping the other one in, let it register that youve installed another sim then you can pop it out and put your original back in and your service will come on. It reminds me of tethered jailbreak but at least you dont have to plug back into a computer and run software you just have to swap sims. It must be a ST sim i tried with a T-mobile and it didnt work but i have my old ST sim since i bought the new LTE sim and just used it. Good luck

Phones
    Samsung x427m
    Nokia 6590i
    Ericsson T28
    Carrier
    Cingular for 8 yrs;
    Feedback Score
    Could you use a real AT&T sim?
    Edit: wait...does the sim swapping suggest this new carrier bundle is a counter measure to the popular sim swap used to access APN settings?
    Last edited by Anole; 11-16-2013 at 01:40 PM.

Feedback Score
    Just an update: I got a private message here saying that once I'm activated, I should be able to snag the 15.6 update. Now this will all have to wait a bit: the tools that came with the dock connector I ordered (and need) has two pentalobe drivers and both are WAY too big. Sigh. Back to eBay...

Carrier
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Anole View Post
    Could you use a real AT&T sim?
    Edit: wait...does the sim swapping suggest this new carrier bundle is a counter measure to the popular sim swap used to access APN settings?
    Idk about the att sim all i had on hand was an extra ST sim and a Tmobile sim, you could try it wouldnt hurt anything. No counter measure i could still access apn with the tmobile swap but i have cydia tweak apn edit so i have no need for sim swapping for apn access purposes. Im not sure why the network service wont come back after a reboot without a sim swap but ive tried editing stuff with iFile and havent made any progress. Not a problem for me because i keep my extra sim card and ejector tool behing my case so if for some reason i have to reboot or my phone powers off ive always got them on hand.

Feedback Score
    That's disappointing. At stbyop.com/straighttalk/ I entered my IMEI and zip code and it returned that my iPhone 4s was compatible with ST and I only needed to use the AT&T SIM card from their Activation Kit. I think other threads have suggested that the latest AT&T LTE SIM card from ST would work (no APN changes needed) if the 4s were on iOS 7.0.3 with AT&T update 15.6. Of course that ST link I provided here says that not all phones will be able to be activated, even if compatible, and that they wouldn't know until you tried. Right. I'm still muddled about whether this will work, I guess.
    I wouldn't trust Straight Talk's check your phone compatibility site AT ALL!. Out of curiosity, I placed all 0's in the field where it asks for your IMEI/MEID/ESN and zip code. Apparently, my phone was compatible :-/. Tried even more bogus numbers. All phone's compatible. Yea...ok.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast