Thread: Question - Straight Talk service and what phone to use?

Feedback Score

Angry Question - Straight Talk service and what phone to use?

Where do I begin? So many questions...so little time. Help!

Can someone please give me step by step info on how to get the best service from ST, using which cell phone? I live in Warner Robins, GA (middle GA) and most calls are to/from south FL and Portland OR.

Currently have AT&T service with iphone 4S.

Thank you.
    Last edited by momof4boyz; 11-19-2013 at 10:19 AM. Reason: added text

Feedback Score
    If AT&T network is working out for you, just buy ST AT&T compatible sim for your iPhone. Pop the sim in do online activation, change APN, fill in the required money in your account and you will be ready to go.
    If want to change the phone get any GSM phone which has the required AT&T bands and you shall be fine.
    If it is not a AT&T branded phone then you will have to unlock it.

Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I answered some of your questions in another thread so posting it here.
    Quote Originally Posted by momof4boyz View Post
    Need help please! Big help. I'm sorry to sound so uneducated in this industry but can use some good advice, please.
    I currently have 5 cells with AT&T service and want to move 3 to ST; the other 2 are grandfathered-in with unlimited talk, text & data and at $42mth ea. will leave 2 at AT&T. I live in middle GA and would like to go to ST with the other 3 cells and need to buy phones. I would like to start with one and see how it goes.

1) Can anyone tell me what phone I should purchase (want to buy used) ?

2) I have been told you have to have a phone with a sim card to go to Straight Talk? I have access to reasonably priced Verizon phones...

3) Can you use a Verizon phone with NO sim card and get straight talk AT&T service (GSMA)? I am soooooo confused!

4) SUMMARY-- I have 2 kids in college and another on his way....can't afford to purchase new cells and need to know the easiest way to get good Straight Talk service in middle Georgia, must be able to call Portland, Oregon and south Florida, what phone and/or sim to purchase.

One phone is an Apple iphone 3g. sim card reads 71247 0 4024 (on one side; longer # on opposite); can I use this on ST?

help, please!!!!!
    1) If you have existing phones on ATT, you can use the same on ST-ATT.
    Straight talk provides service on Verizon, ATT, Tmobile and Sprint. You can bring your own phone on ATT and tmobile. There are few mismatch in HSPA(3g) frequency between ATT and Tmobile and for that reason there is a chance you will not get 3g if you use a ATT phone on Tmobile or vice versa.
    Since you already have existing ATT phones you can use them on Straight Talk - ATT. You need to get the sim which costs 7 bucks on ST website.

2) You can use 3g verizon phones on Verizon service like a BYOP phone and I do not think that you require sim for that. But you can use it on ATT only. Only the modern phones like Iphone 4s and newer version support Verizon and ATT at the same time.

3) You can only get straight talk ATT service only if you have Verizon phones which support GSM service like Iphone 4s and newer variants then yes you can use them.

4) You can use Iphone 3g on ST-ATT get a new mini sim from their website and pop it in the phone. You cannot use the exisiting sim ATT simcard.
    You will have to change the APN settings. I have used android mostly so I am not very familiar with carrier setting. I am sure someone wil come along and answer that.

Feedback Score

GSM phones?

Where do I find a list of GSM phones? How do I know what the required AT&T band is for a particular GSM phone?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by ron6400 View Post
    If AT&T network is working out for you, just buy ST AT&T compatible sim for your iPhone. Pop the sim in do online activation, change APN, fill in the required money in your account and you will be ready to go.
    If want to change the phone get any GSM phone which has the required AT&T bands and you shall be fine.

Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Where do I find a list of GSM phones? How do I know what the required AT&T band is for a particular GSM phone?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Do you have existing phones or are you planning to buy new ones? What existing phones you have if you are planning to use on Straight talk?

ATT
    Voice and 2g: 850 mhz primarily
    3g Data: 1900mhz
    4g LTE: Band 4 and 17

Tmobile:
    Voice: 1900mhz
    3g: AWS Spectrum 1700/2100 mostly but refarming it to 1900mhz now.
    LTE: Band 4

General rule of thumb, phones which are relatively new support voice for both tmobile and ATT as ATT uses 1900mhz too in someplaces.
    Newer tmobile phones support ATT frequency as well.
    But phones which are multiband LTE are quite new and might be expensive.

Another way is to decide what network do you get ATT or tmobile? Depending on that you can find compatible phones.

Feedback Score
    Thank you ron6400 and kanisk!!

1) Anyone know what the APN setting is for an Apple iphone 3g on Straight Talk-ATT?
    2) And am I correct in assuming that an Apple iphone 4s on Straight Talk-ATT does not need an APN setting adjustment?
    3) How well does MMS work with the 3g on ST-ATT...I read there have been problems?

Phones
    Nokia E71
    Nokia E71
    Iphone 3g
    Carriers
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    Thank you ron6400 and kanisk!!

1) Anyone know what the APN setting is for an Apple iphone 3g on Straight Talk-ATT?
    2) And am I correct in assuming that an Apple iphone 4s on Straight Talk-ATT does not need an APN setting adjustment?
    3) How well does MMS work with the 3g on ST-ATT...I read there have been problems?
    here are the apn setting for gsm st
    New ST AT&T APN Settings

Cellular Data
    APN: tfdata
    Username:
    Password:

MMS
    APN: tfdata
    Username:
    Password:
    MMSC: http://mms-tf.net
    MMS Proxy: mms3.tracfone.com:80
    MMS Max Size: 1048576
    MMS UA Prof URL: http://www.apple.com/mms/uaprof.rdf

Old ST AT&T APN Settings

Cellular Data
    APN: att.mvno
    Username:
    Password:

MMS
    APN: att.mvno
    Username:
    Password:
    MMSC: http://mmsc.cingular.com
    MMS Proxy: 66.209.11.33:80
    MMS Max Size: 1048576

ST T-Mobile APN Settings

Cellular Data
    APN: wap.tracfone
    Username:
    Password:

MMS
    APN: wap.tracfone
    Username:
    Password:
    MMSC: http://mms.tracfone.com
    MMS Proxy: 216.155.165.40:8080
    MMS Max Message Size: 1048576

i am also gonna sugest if phones are unlocked might want to look at aio wireless.aio pushes the carrier setting automatily to your phones.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ron6400 View Post
    This.
    except hook the 4S up to iTunes, say yes to the carrier update, and everything should work. Dont mess with changing the APN the carrier update does it for you. While you are at it you might want to download to iOS 7.0.4