Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: Straight Talk Samsung Galaxy S3 Verizon - 3G Only?

Phone
    LG Optimus Showtime
    Carrier
    PagePlus Cellular
    Feedback Score

Straight Talk Samsung Galaxy S3 Verizon - 3G Only?

Does anyone know if the new Straight Talk Verizon Galaxy S3 will work on PagePlus without modification? The phone is 3G only, no LTE! I have used other 3G Straight Talk phones on PagePlus with success, and with Wal-Mart having this phone on black friday for $299.00 would be a pretty good deal if it will work on PP out of the box? Thanks for any info on this!!

Carrier
    Page Plus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    I had a similar question that I haven't seen answered anywhere on these forums. Since Verizon blocks all of their prepaid phones from being activated on PPC, has anyone ever tried to activate a Straight Talk phone that runs on Verizon new out of the box on PPC?

I always wondered if you could activate these phones OTA on PPC brand new out of the box.

Phone
    Tin cans and a string
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The only 4g phone I know that will ota properly is a razr/razr maxx - and ONLY after certain modifications have been made to the phone, not straight out of the box in stock condition.

I'm guessing the walmart vzw s3 will likely be blocked from PP, at least for 6 months if it follows the convention of other prepaid devices. That is, it must be activated for a continuous 6 months before it can be used on vzw post paid.

Worth a shot I suppose... At worst you just return it.

Carrier
    Page Plus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GPz1100 View Post
    I'm guessing the walmart vzw s3 will likely be blocked from PP, at least for 6 months if it follows the convention of other prepaid devices. That is, it must be activated for a continuous 6 months before it can be used on vzw post paid.
    Why would a Straight Talk phone have the same black listing policies of Verizon prepaid phones? Does Verizon control black listing all prepaid phones, even those released by their MVNO partners such as Straight Talk?

Phone
    LG Optimus Showtime
    Carrier
    PagePlus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    I can confirm that other 3G Verizon Straight Talk phones will activate just fine on PagePlus out of the box as I am currently using a Straight Talk Optimus Showtime on PPC. Before that I used one of the Huawei ST phones on PPC. Just cant confirm whether the Galaxy S3 will work since straight talk has disabled LTE on it I'm guessing it should but not sure. I guess I'll just take the chance and buy it next week when it's on sale for $299! I'll post back whatever I find out, hopefully it works! )

Phone
    HTC Droid Incredible 2
    Carriers
    PagePlus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by danielfbradford View Post
    Does anyone know if the new Straight Talk Verizon Galaxy S3 will work on PagePlus without modification? The phone is 3G only, no LTE! I have used other 3G Straight Talk phones on PagePlus with success, and with Wal-Mart having this phone on black friday for $299.00 would be a pretty good deal if it will work on PP out of the box? Thanks for any info on this!!
    It should, if it has been modified like the ST iPhone 5 was to disable 4G so it would work on ST, which does work on PPC. Since it is from Walmart, do you think it could be returned if you try it and it DOESN'T work?

Phone
    HTC Droid Incredible 2
    Carriers
    PagePlus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    I can confirm that other 3G Verizon Straight Talk phones will activate just fine on PagePlus out of the box as I am currently using a Straight Talk Optimus Showtime on PPC. Before that I used one of the Huawei ST phones on PPC. Just cant confirm whether the Galaxy S3 will work since straight talk has disabled LTE on it I'm guessing it should but not sure. I guess I'll just take the chance and buy it next week when it's on sale for $299! I'll post back whatever I find out, hopefully it works! )
    How hard do you think it will be to get? That's $100 off, right?

Carrier
    Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    Sorry guys but the S3 for Straight Talk works with the Sprint side of Straight Talk, no go with OTA activations. And will require more work to flash than a Sprint Version.

Viper

Carrier
    Page Plus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    At least if Straight Talk phones that work on Verizon can be activated out of the box on PPC, that provides a good retail alternative to used phones on eBay or Craigslist. I saw in the ST forum that the Samsung Galaxy Centura will be a $29 Black Friday special at Walmart. It's been confirmed by a few users that ST phones which use Verizon can be activated on PPC.

Phone
    HTC Droid Incredible 2
    Carriers
    PagePlus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Viper32 View Post
    Sorry guys but the S3 for Straight Talk works with the Sprint side of Straight Talk, no go with OTA activations. And will require more work to flash than a Sprint Version.

Viper
    Oh, wow! I bet danielfbradford is grateful for you pointing that out!

Carrier
    Sprint via FreedomPop/Google Voice
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Viper
    My understanding is that there are two models. Is the second model AT&T or Verizon?
    Past providers: RingPlus, Page Plus, Virgin, Straight Talk, T-Mobile, Verizon, AT&T.
    Past phones: Nokia 820, Motorola Atrix HD, iPhone 4S, HTC One V, iPhone 4, Nokia Lumia 900, Nokia N9, Samsung Focus, Samsung Captivate, Nokia N900, HTC 8525, iPhone 3GS, iPhone, Nokia E61i, Siemens A56...

Carrier
    Sprint via FreedomPop/Google Voice
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Viper
    No there's a Verizon and Sprint version. The Sprint version is advertised with 4G LTE. The Verizon model doesn't have LTE.

Edit: This website:
    http://www.prepaidphonenews.com/2011...-straight.html

says
    There are also two Samsung Galaxy S III models S398L on Sprint and S398C (also called STSAS968CWTPWP) on Verizon...
    Most Tracfone, NET10 and Straight Talk phones also have a network code on the box. It's usually in the lower left corner on the front of the box. These codes are: CDMA-S = Sprint, CDMA-V = Verizon, GSM-A = AT&T, GSM-T = T-Mobile.

Feedback Score
    I read somewhere that the Verizon version will be on Verizon prepaid, which means can't use on pp. And supposedly the ST one is a sprint version as Viper said.

Sent with the HoFo App
    I got Lollipop! 12/2014

Phone
    LG Optimus Showtime
    Carrier
    PagePlus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Thanks everyone, there are two Straight Talk S3s, one for Verizon with 3G only, and one for Sprint with LTE! My local Wal-Mart has these in-stock and the package says CDMA-V which of course means Verizon! As far as for the black friday sale, the guy in electronics said they have a large stock but I'd def take that with a grain of salt!! lol

Feedback Score
    Thanks everyone, there are two Straight Talk S3s, one for Verizon with 3G only, and one for Sprint with LTE! My local Wal-Mart has these in-stock and the package says CDMA-V which of course means Verizon! As far as for the black friday sale, the guy in electronics said they have a large stock but I'd def take that with a grain of salt!! lol
    Interesting. I just checked ST's website and it only has the sprint version (LTE). I then checked walmart's website and it said 3G/WiFi so you'd think it's Verizon but all the user reviews seem to indicate it's a sprint phone. I guess if they really has the Verizon one, it's in-store only.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using HoFo mobile app

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast