Page 18 of 129 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 68 118 ... LastLast

Thread: Tracfone BYOP

Feedback Score
    All you can do is try. But I think the program has been suspended because of a problem.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kc classic View Post
    Question for you, can I bring a phone (3g) that has been used on Page plus over to tracfone?
    Well, considering that it is Verizon's database that is being queried for qualification, it would seem doubtful...but you could give it a try.

Sent with the HoFo App

Feedback Score
    It seems to me that, as of this point, NO phone will work on the website, but if you are willing to spend hours and hours, days after days, even weeks, escalate after escalate, keep on calling them, maybe even contact the CEO, you will eventually get it to work, if it's a qualifying phone.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using HoFo mobile app
    I got KitKat! 11/21/2013

Feedback Score
    What recourse does a guy like me have when I bought a phone in good faith after checking the meid. Only to have them change their minds a couple of weeks later. I am out the cost of a phone.
    I don't think there's much of anything you can do, since I'm guessing you have no proof of the MEID's earlier acceptability. And even if you did, I think that the "compatibility" issue has to do with your phone not being cdma-only, and that's why they won't activate it. Verizon probably won't let them due to the chance that you might somehow activate the gsm side, and cost them money.

If you really want to be on TF, your only real option is to sell the phone and cut your losses. I hope you didn't pay top Dollar for it. Craigslist doesn't cost anything to post or sell. If it's a Verizon-branded phone, there's market for people who need a replacement phone. And you can always meet the buyer at a Verizon store for safety reasons, and so that the MEID can be validated right then and there for your and the buyer's protection. That's what I intend to do with my Droid 2 Global once we get past the holidays.

Feedback Score
    If this is the case being a dual capable phone, I am not sure as to why it was ok'd in the first place.
    I will be back on the phone with them tomorrow. If I do not get a satisfactory answer I will escalate it myself. I am sure the State Attorney General's Office will be interested in their fraudulent practices, along with FCC.
    You cannot offer a service without telling the consumer what products you can use on it.
    At this point I am sorry I was a guinea pig for them.

Feedback Score
    I was curious if anyone has any idea if the Motorola Moto G phone will work on the Tracfone BYOP? The CDMA version isn't out yet, but here's what the info says about the frequencies.. CDMA/EVDO Rev A (850, 1900 MHz), it's a 3G only phone so I would assume it'd work on Tracfone?

Also, I was wondering if anyone could explain how the Smartphone data plans work on Tracfone? I see you can buy can 300MB, 750MB, and 2GB cards for data, and the website mentions carryover, how long is that carry over? I'd appreciate if anyone can explain how those work! Thanks!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Falassion View Post
    I was curious if anyone has any idea if the Motorola Moto G phone will work on the Tracfone BYOP? The CDMA version isn't out yet, but here's what the info says about the frequencies.. CDMA/EVDO Rev A (850, 1900 MHz), it's a 3G only phone so I would assume it'd work on Tracfone?
    Did you read this thread at all? At the moment, no byop devices are being activated without considerable intervention with executive resolutions. The only Android phones that activate without problems are those sold by TF for TF. Don't assume anything about the byop program, and especially not about a phone that has yet to be released.

Quote Originally Posted by Falassion View Post
    Also, I was wondering if anyone could explain how the Smartphone data plans work on Tracfone? I see you can buy can 300MB, 750MB, and 2GB cards for data, and the website mentions carryover, how long is that carry over? I'd appreciate if anyone can explain how those work! Thanks!
    The data cards are sold as an add-on for the usual minutes/days cards, so any unused data from one of them can carry-over as long as you maintain active service by adding minutes/service days. They are intended for folks who use data more than talk or text. You do understand the "three-tank" (talk/text/data) concept for Android phones, don't you?

Phone
    S390G LG500G T404G T301G V170
    Carrier
    TracFone (AT&T SIM)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by penn462 View Post
    Verizon probably won't let them due to the chance that you might somehow activate the gsm side, and cost them money.
    I've seen this mentioned earlier in the thread too.

How would using tha SIM on the GSM bands cost Verizon anything?
    All billing would be based on the SIM used and it would not touch Verizon's network any more than a GSM only phone does.
    It's no different than the dual band phones TF sells. AT&T doesn't care if you use a T-Mobile SIM, and T-Mobile doesn't care if you use an AT&T SIM.

The only loss to Verizon is the lost sale for usage that went to the GSM bands. But the user would still be paying for that, just to a different company.

Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Question for you, can I bring a phone (3g) that has been used on Page plus over to tracfone?
    My Fascinate that I managed to activate (right when BYOP went live) was previously on Page Plus. So if they start activating phones again and everything else stays the same, it shouldn't be a problem.
    Castrol EDGE 5W-30 is my drug of choice.

Primary: iPhone 6 64GB, Lumia 635, & LG L90: 5 lines, 1x $15 5GB data, 2x $5 Android web, 1x $2.99 T-Zones, corp discount + $10/mo loyalty discount = $93/mo tax inclusive
    Secondary: iPhone 4S & LG Ultimate 2: TracFone (Verizon)
    Tablet: iPad Mini Retina w/ T-Mobile 4G LTE

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ST Dog View Post
    I've seen this mentioned earlier in the thread too.

All billing would be based on the SIM used and it would not touch Verizon's network any more than a GSM only phone does.
    It's no different than the dual band phones TF sells. AT&T doesn't care if you use a T-Mobile SIM, and T-Mobile doesn't care if you use an AT&T SIM.

The only loss to Verizon is the lost sale for usage that went to the GSM bands. But the user would still be paying for that, just to a different company.
    A month or so ago when I asked Motorola in their forums about this MOTO G phone, he said the cdma version has no SIM slot in it. So I doubt that would be a concern. Just that the CDMA phone need to be registered with its serial number for use on the network.

I had also asked him if he knew whether Tracfone would be getting this phone. This is the only thing he said about my question (he probably isn't allowed to say if it is or isn't).

" I can't provide any information on specific network launches in advance of going live, but Moto G will be offered with a number of leading service providers. More info*in the weeks to come!"

Sent from my GT-N5110 using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    Can anyone tell me if the HTC Incredible 2 is a dual capable phone that won't be allowed on Tracfone BYOP? I looked at the specs but am confused. I see where the spec basically says CDMA 3g only which is great but then it mentions being global mobile capable which I'm taking it means it is a GSM phone overseas and therefore won't pass muster with Tracfone BYOP? Kind of what KC Classic's problem might be? I did buy one in anticipation of being able to activate it for my wife but if it isn't compatible I may as well return it which I have 30 days to do fortunately. Thanks

Feedback Score
    This is the response I got from Tracfone when I asked about bringing a phone from page plus to Tracfone.

Thank you for your interest in TracFone Wireless. We are responding to
    your recent inquiry.

Please be informed that phones from the said carrier will not work under
    the BYOP CDMA program.

If you have any further questions or concerns, please contact one of our
    customer care representatives at 1-800-867-7183. For your convenience,
    our representatives are available Monday-Sunday from 8:00 AM to 11:45 PM
    EST.

Thank you for being a TracFone Wireless customer. We appreciate your
    business.

Sincerely,

TracFone Wireless

Original Message Follows:
    ------------------------

Issue Category:
    Portability
    Specific Issue:
    Portability Availability
    Brief description of issue:
    Can a phone that is used on Page Plus, be activated on Tracfone's BYOP
    plan?

Phone
    S390G LG500G T404G T301G V170
    Carrier
    TracFone (AT&T SIM)
    Feedback Score
    This is the response I got from Tracfone when I asked about bringing a phone from page plus to Tracfone.

Brief description of issue:
    Can a phone that is used on Page Plus, be activated on Tracfone's BYOP
    plan?
    TF support is notorious for being wrong. They likely didn't understand the question.

You assume they know you mean a Verizon compatible phone that was previously activated as BYOP on PagePlus.
    They likely though you meant a PagePlus branded phone, which I expect will be treated like a ST or NET10 branded phone.

Feedback Score

First of all, I don't claim to be an expert on cell phones, but I do research things that impact upon what I want to do, in this case a TF byop. So, here's what I found out. Verizon dual-mode phones are locked out of domestic US GSM, but not overseas GSM. To use an AT&T or T-Mo SIM would require an unlock code from Verizon, which they won't give you unless you are their post-paid customer. (There are also 3rd-party sellers of unlock codes, which may or may not actually work.)

If you were able to unlock your phone, then what you suggest would likely be the case, that is, GSM usage would fall under the plan you had with AT&T or T-Mo or one of their MVNOs, and CDMA usage under the Tracfone service. But it's also possible that using an unlocked phone could open up some roaming arrangements between Verizon and other carriers. And once you go international, there ARE arrangements between Verizon and some international carriers for roaming charges to be billed through Verizon. Supposedly, one obtains the international SIMs from Verizon only, and you can't get one unless you are a post-paid customer. Seems pretty cut-and-dried, but that doesn't mean that TF and Verizon are willing to take a chance that everything will work as designed. It's just a whole lot easier to restrict the byop program to CDMA-only devices.

As to why some dual-mode phones were OK when the byop program first appeared, I suspect that either TF didn't think things all the way through, or there was a bug in their system. There are many instances of the latter in TF's history, such as promo codes that work on smaller airtime cards than intended.

But it could be the former as well. If you look at the exclusions that have been there since day 1 - no iPhones, no Blackberries and no LTE phones, as well as the way they told us to check to see if we had a CDMA device (look for a SIM slot, if you have one it's NOT CDMA), they were, I think, trying to restrict the devices to CDMA-only. I think they either didn't understand how wide-spread dual-mode phones are, or their web designer didn't understand what they wanted the page to say.

Feedback Score

It's no different than the dual band phones TF sells.
    Which TF phones are dual-band?

Page 18 of 129 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 68 118 ... LastLast