Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: ST forcing TFdata

Feedback Score

ST forcing TFdata

I have had ST for almost 3 years now and since then I been using att.mvno. My internet and MMS have been working fine until two days ago, while i was using my phone suddenly my internet stop working. Its been two days since it happen. Today I tried calling customer service and find out what was the issue. However after hours of been on the phone and having me do all this different things, the operator tried to make me change the apn. However since Im a st att sim card user it was imposible for me to access my apn without a tmobile sim. Which I had but it was at my house.

A few hours later once I was back home, I decided to take a look at my apn settings and set them up once more to att.mvno as soon as i scrolled down my settings changed to tfdata... Thanks ST? as an old user its imposible for me to use this settings since my sim card doesnt work with tfdata. Is st forcing everyone to switch? why cant they let users keep their old sim cards...

Ill have to call once again tomorrow and hope they can figure this for me. While on the road i depend a lot on my phone for finding locations and even using the maps.

edit: Btw i also tried installing 2 of the profiles at unlockits and neither one of them would work.

Phone
    iPhone 4
    Carrier
    StraightTalk
    Feedback Score
    What do you mean it's "impossible for [you] to use this setting"? Have you tried using it with tfdata since data died, or are you just assuming that you will be on att.mvno forever because you have an old SIM card?

Yes, ST is forcing everybody over to the tfdata APN. You don't need to get a new SIM card to use that APN, either; ST can make a change on their side that causes your SIM card to suddenly start requiring tfdata and which also makes att.mvno impossible to use any longer. Typically, this happens when your monthly renewal date hits. It happened to me a week ago. Was your renewal date two days ago?

-- Nathan

Carrier
    AT&T GoPhone & Cricket (iPhone 5 and iPad Mini)
    Feedback Score
    Try: iapnupdateatt.straighttalk.com

Feedback Score
    Sounds like you have an iPhone. Did you update to the recently released carrier profile 17.0xx ??

Feedback Score
    In the beginning, tfdata was horrible and I felt kind of robbed when we were being switched to it just for changing a phone number or missing your refill date. Now, it's the best, so much faster and better than att.mvno. So it took some time to implement (without disturbing the flawless reliability of the post paid service), but now I'd recommend it...especially because of the automatic mms capability. Once you get your mms sorted I'm sure you'll love it.

Sent with the HoFo App

Phone
    iPhone 4
    Carrier
    StraightTalk
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn744 View Post
    In the beginning, tfdata was horrible and I felt kind of robbed when we were being switched to it just for changing a phone number or missing your refill date.
    *Everyone* is getting changed over to it sooner or later, even if you don't initiate any changes to the account or miss no payments. In my case, I did let it lapse for about 30 minutes before I went "oh crap" and punched a refill card number in, but I've done that plenty of times before and was never switched over, even while other people were. My sister has ST and is on auto-refill and she got switched over before I did! And it happened to her on the day her next month of service was scheduled to be charged to her CC. I bet you that people who had refill cards already sitting in reserve on their account have also been switched over without their asking.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn744 View Post
    Now, it's the best, so much faster and better than att.mvno.
    I have to admit that subjectively the data itself does feel faster and more consistent. But the MMS issues (the delays in receiving messages, missing messages, and that $^@#%# "New Message" subject line) and the VPN issues (PPTP/GRE and IPsec/ESP are both either blocked or being munged by the new gateway's NAT engine) are not good, and I would go back in a heartbeat if they would let me.

-- Nathan

Carriers
    AT&T
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Uh oh ... I've been on the "att.mvno" APN for a year now- not happy to hear they're forcing the Syniverse-crippled "tfdata" on us, but in any case thanks for the heads-up if my data suddenly stops working.
    HTC First on Net10/AT&T
    Samsung SM-P607T on T-Mo/AT&T
    Samsung GT-N8000 on AT&T

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by keyz16b View Post
    Sounds like you have an iPhone. Did you update to the recently released carrier profile 17.0xx ??
    yes I have an iphone 5, which was working perfectly until 2 days ago. I believe it was the day set up for my renewal. I have been on the phone with st non stop and they cant figure out whats the issue. I have even tried to change the apn to the tfdata etc and nothing works..

Carriers
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by capufo View Post
    yes I have an iphone 5, which was working perfectly until 2 days ago. I believe it was the day set up for my renewal. I have been on the phone with st non stop and they cant figure out whats the issue. I have even tried to change the apn to the tfdata etc and nothing works..
    They are migrating all users over to the new TFdata. Doing a poor job of letting customers know though!

However if you have a iphone 5 order the new sim or get one at Walmart. Cut it to nano, activate it on the STbyop sit, upgrade to iOS 7.0.3 or 7.0.4 do the carrier update to 15.6 and your all set no more problems with MMS or data, 4G LTE (where available).

BTW after the carrier update delete your APN profile or data will not work. MMS might act funny for a day or so but will be up and running like a champ.

Probably the best thing ST ever did for iphone users abeit they did a poor job of informing their customers of what was going on. They should have sent all customers a text or a new sim or something instead of forcing everyone's hand.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by NathanA View Post
    *Everyone* is getting changed over to it sooner or later, even if you don't initiate any changes to the account or miss no payments. In my case, I did let it lapse for about 30 minutes before I went "oh crap" and punched a refill card number in, but I've done that plenty of times before and was never switched over, even while other people were. My sister has ST and is on auto-refill and she got switched over before I did! And it happened to her on the day her next month of service was scheduled to be charged to her CC. I bet you that people who had refill cards already sitting in reserve on their account have also been switched over without their asking.

I have to admit that subjectively the data itself does feel faster and more consistent. But the MMS issues (the delays in receiving messages, missing messages, and that $^@#%# "New Message" subject line) and the VPN issues (PPTP/GRE and IPsec/ESP are both either blocked or being munged by the new gateway's NAT engine) are not good, and I would go back in a heartbeat if they would let me.

-- Nathan
    Yeah for some reason mms is pretty unstable...dunno why/how....Low quality frequency?

Sent with the HoFo App

Feedback Score
    Personally I can't stand tfdata. Ports are blocked, data cuts in and out, and mms is a mess. They won't let you switch back to att.mvno anymore. Oh well, I tired of switching companies.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mpitts18 View Post
    They are migrating all users over to the new TFdata. Doing a poor job of letting customers know though!

However if you have a iphone 5 order the new sim or get one at Walmart. Cut it to nano, activate it on the STbyop sit, upgrade to iOS 7.0.3 or 7.0.4 do the carrier update to 15.6 and your all set no more problems with MMS or data, 4G LTE (where available).

BTW after the carrier update delete your APN profile or data will not work. MMS might act funny for a day or so but will be up and running like a champ.

Probably the best thing ST ever did for iphone users abeit they did a poor job of informing their customers of what was going on. They should have sent all customers a text or a new sim or something instead of forcing everyone's hand.
    This may help me with my problem. However, how do you do a carrier update? (iPhone 5S)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDoc46 View Post
    This may help me with my problem. However, how do you do a carrier update? (iPhone 5S)
    I figured it, i went into settings, about, and it invited me to do the carrier update. Which i did, and it fixed my HOME problem. Phone now shows TFW LTE as it's supposed too.

Phones
    unlocked at&t Samsung S3 mini
    unlocked at&t Samsung S3 mini
    Carrier
    StraightTalk at&t
    Feedback Score
    I'm still using att apn on Htc inspire.

Carriers
    Straight Talk (ATT SIM)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDoc46 View Post
    Just search how to do an iPhone OTA update. It's in settings your iOS should be 7.0.4 in about if not you need to update and check back for updates about once a week ideally.

Sent with the HoFo App

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast