Thread: What are the advantages of flashing a newer 4g phone?

Feedback Score

What are the advantages of flashing a newer 4g phone?

Stupid question, but I'm curious, just what is the advantage of flashing a newer 4g phone to Page Plus over getting an older 3g phone?
    A couple things that I'm looking at, I'm not trying to impress anyone with my phone and as long as I can use it for voice/text, I'm happy.

I was looking at an LG Optimus Exceed the other day, but it only works with the $60 monthly Verizon prepaid plan. While it's a newer phone, I can get say a new in box Droid X for the same money and activate it on the Page Plus $29.95 plan which is half the cost of Verizon's minimum monthly prepaid plan. As it see it, the Droid X is a better value seeing that it can be put on way cheaper plans.

As we look at it, I found a Razr Maxx for $400 vs. an older Droid Incredible for $50 - since there are no subsidies, why not just go with the cheaper phone since P+ only gets 3g anyhow? Of course since I have no clue how to flash a phone, it could end up sitting around for weeks while I try to find someone to flash it for me and there's always the chance after putting hours into researching it, I might give up and sell it for less than I paid for it. Is the gamble that I might be able to get it to work really worth it?

I'm really just looking for the advantages of getting a newer phone.

Phone
    Samsung Galaxy S4
    Carrier
    Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by pc.colfax View Post
    Stupid question, but I'm curious, just what is the advantage of flashing a newer 4g phone to Page Plus over getting an older 3g phone?
    A couple things that I'm looking at, I'm not trying to impress anyone with my phone and as long as I can use it for voice/text, I'm happy.

I was looking at an LG Optimus Exceed the other day, but it only works with the $60 monthly Verizon prepaid plan. While it's a newer phone, I can get say a new in box Droid X for the same money and activate it on the Page Plus $29.95 plan which is half the cost of Verizon's minimum monthly prepaid plan. As it see it, the Droid X is a better value seeing that it can be put on way cheaper plans.

As we look at it, I found a Razr Maxx for $400 vs. an older Droid Incredible for $50 - since there are no subsidies, why not just go with the cheaper phone since P+ only gets 3g anyhow? Of course since I have no clue how to flash a phone, it could end up sitting around for weeks while I try to find someone to flash it for me and there's always the chance after putting hours into researching it, I might give up and sell it for less than I paid for it. Is the gamble that I might be able to get it to work really worth it?

I'm really just looking for the advantages of getting a newer phone.
    Some advantages I can see would be:

Newer software such as Ice Cream Sandwhich or JellyBean or even KitKat as opposed to say older stuff like Gingerbread.

Support for apps that only support newer OS such as listed above.

If Verizon allows LTE use for MVNO in the future, you will have a device already that can use it.

Better hardware.

These are some of the things I would consider advantages. IMHO of course.
    Phone: Samsung Galaxy S4 CM12 Lollerpop
    SD Card: Samsung 64GB Class 10

Free Minus.com Storage >> http://min.us/r3gHAw7 / http://min.us/rbeSEYmr
    Free Dropbox Storage >> http://db.tt/f3xRznQe
    Free Copy.com Storage >> https://copy.com?r=gxoUiw

Carrier
    Consumer Cellular
    Feedback Score
    I'm not trying to impress anyone with my phone and as long as I can use it for voice/text, I'm happy.
    Then you probably don't need a 4G phone running ICS or JB (which would need to be flashed to work on PP). If you have used one though, as I have, it makes you realize your 1st or 2nd generation Droid X or X2 isn't really as zippy as you thought it was. That's why I'm looking to move from my X2 to a Razr M even though I don't really "need" the better phone.

Feedback Score
    For me it was the better performance. My x2 was freezing and not allowing me to answer calls. Also it was having a hard time charging. Bought the note 2 used on eBay with lots of extras. The fact that my local dealer can flash phones certainly helped. If I ever have a problem with the flash I can bring the phone back to him to fix it. I use my phone to process credit cards, it's important that I have a phone that's in good working order all the time. I can't afford to lose sales while I pull the battery and reboot.

sent from my fabulous galaxy note 2

Phone
    Droid Incredible 2
    Carriers
    Page Plus
    Lycamobile
    Feedback Score
    OS version, RAM, CPU, GPU, screen resolution and size, battery life, camera, and the 5GHz variant of 802.11n (less interference).

Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich and later are a huge improvement over 2.3 Gingerbread, with an improved interface, improved performance, and Google Now. There are apps which require these newer Android versions, and hardware has improved significantly in performance, display quality, battery life, and other aspects since 2011.

Carriers
    BYO Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Not a stupid question at all. For what you want, voice and texting (with, I assume, email and some light browsing), I can't see any reason not to go with a "newer" 3G phone (Droid X2, Incredible 2, Droid 3, etc.) that doesn't require flashing. If it turns out you want to do more (which would be ?... I'm not quite sure what) then you could always buy a newer phone and flash it. Right now I'm using a Motorola Admiral on RingPlus and it's a big step up from my XPRT only because it has more memory. That why I suggest something in the newer 3G phones, they started getting more RAM with each release and that's a big help.

EDIT: Some mention a big advantage in using Android 4.x -- and maybe there are advantages but I don't know what they are. My wife has Android 4.x on her Note II but -- since I'm used to Android 2.3.x -- I like my version better for what I do. Again, I'm not a huge Internet user, nor do I engage in "social networking" so maybe that would make the difference.
    A Motorola Droid X2 on Budget Mobile & a Motorola Admiral on RingPlus -- both rooted but running
    stock Android 2.3.5. And an LG Optimus Fuel on BYO Wireless -- rooted and running stock Android 4.4

Feedback Score
    The main reason I opted to flash an S3 for my wife was because I could not find a Verizon 3G phone that matched the screen size of the S3 and my wife had become smitten with large screen phones.

FWIW,
    Bill

Carriers
    BYO Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by soetart View Post
    The main reason I opted to flash an S3 for my wife was because I could not find a Verizon 3G phone that matched the screen size of the S3 and my wife had become smitten with large screen phones.
    I can see that. My wife uses a Note II (on Sprint) and I seriously doubt she will ever willingly go to something smaller now. I'm guessing a succession of Notes are in her future.

But I like my Motorola Admiral. I can carry it my pocket.