Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: What phones for the new Tracfone BYOP ?

Feedback Score

What phones for the new Tracfone BYOP ?

Can someone help with a list of phones that will work with the new tracfone BYOP plan? I am new to the android phone thing, but have been a loyal tracfone user for years.
    Was planning on upgrading to a new android phone (centura) for xmas. But now I see this new option. Would like some help with the different choices out there. Do not need the latest and greatest, just a phone with a decent operating system and a auto-focus camera would be nice.
    Thanks,
    kc classic

Carrier
    Verizon PrePaid, TracFone
    Feedback Score
    I am also interested in finding/creating a list of compatible phones for the BYOP program. Please add your own experiences in trying to activate your phone.

Carrier
    Ring+ - Ting - US Mobile - Lyca - H20 - PPC
    Feedback Score
    I would say what ever works OTB on PPC is your best bet.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kc classic View Post
    Can someone help with a list of phones that will work with the new tracfone BYOP plan? I am new to the android phone thing, but have been a loyal tracfone user for years.
    Was planning on upgrading to a new android phone (centura) for xmas. But now I see this new option. Would like some help with the different choices out there. Do not need the latest and greatest, just a phone with a decent operating system and a auto-focus camera would be nice.
    Thanks,
    kc classic
    The general generic universal rule of byodable phones for Verizon mvnos is and has been any clean esn Verizon postpaid device that's 3g . No LTE Verizon prepaid has a list of smartphones that are byodable. They are a little narrower then the byodable smart phones for Verizon mvnos but here it is with the typical Tracfone limits of no iphone/Blackberry. Most feature phones should be okay. Also, Alltel, Ampd and Verizon Straight talk phones have been known to byod (talk/text only) for Verizon mvnos though I'd suspect Straight Talk ones are blocked. This would be a starting point.

LG Vortex, Ally, Enlighten, Vx8360, Vx 11000 (Env Touch), Env 3, Vx 9200, Vx 8575, Vx 8370

Motorola Devour, Droid X, Droid 2, Droid 2 Global , Droid 3, Droid X2 Gb , Droid R2D2, Droid Pro, Droid X2 GB
    W766

Nokia 7705

Palm/HP Pre Plus, Pixi Plus, Pre 2, Pre 3 (Web OS lives!)

Samsung Gem, Fascinate, Fascinate White, i400, Reality, CHU-940, CHU-750, CHU-810, CHU-960, Continuum.

Sony SD XP (Xperia Play SD),

HTC Droid Eris, Droid Incredible, Droid Merge.

Casio Commando.

Feedback Score
    i think it's the same program that straight talk has - 3G & older phones no LTE and no verizon prepaid phones.
    as long as the phone has a clean ESN and not reported lost or stolen you should be ok.

Feedback Score
    Are there any phones post-Android 2.3 that would be compatible with this, or are we talking all Gingerbread?

Carriers
    Straight Talk (ATT SIM)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by joshofstl View Post
    Are there any phones post-Android 2.3 that would be compatible with this, or are we talking all Gingerbread?
    For stock roms most likley however plenty of custom roms will be available for these phones.

Sent with the HoFo App

Carriers
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    WARNING to those with no Smartphone experience:
    You can expect to receive little or no help from Tracfone CSR`s, if you have a problem with a BYOP.
    They will have NO experience nor the knowledge to help you.
    Luckily you have found this forum for help.
    The more knowledgeable smartphone people have normally hung around the Straight Talk forum:
    http://www.howardforums.com/forumdis...-Straight-Talk

Feedback Score
    I don't understand what the version of android would have to do with it?

I don't know that much about this though, but was assuming it needs to be unlocked and the cdma is what would affect it. Like needing cdma 850/1900mhz?

I noticed that a lot of the China clone phones support wcdma 850/2100mhz instead, although I did see a few with 850/1900mhz.

Sent with the HoFo App

Feedback Score
    Its starting to look like this isn't as great a deal as I thought. Thats why Tracfone did it because they knew there are so few phones to bring over.

Sent with the HoFo App

Carrier
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Airforcekid View Post
    For stock roms most likley however plenty of custom roms will be available for these phones.

Sent with the HoFo App
    Rooting an ROMing is not necessarily a piece of cake, especially for the uninitiated. There are also issues with full functionality and the ability to update your Profile and PRL with some ROMs. Heck, the only reason some are still supported is because of Verizon's draconian policies towards byod, but developer interest is waning, too many newer devices to develop with much more potential, there is only so much you can do with ancient processors and low ROM/RAM.
    Sifting through old used devices to actually find one that is cosmetically and functionally desirable and then with the potential to fail at any time is another con with this byod.

Feedback Score
    Someone explain to me like I'm 5 why a phone like the nexus 5, that supports 3G won't work.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by niceman View Post
    Someone explain to me like I'm 5 why a phone like the nexus 5, that supports 3G won't work.
    phone has the bands for LTE tracfone byop uses verizon prepaid which is 3G only.

Carrier
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by niceman View Post
    Cuz Verizon says so and they own the infrastructure. So until that changes, the MVNO's and ourselves are slaves to Verizon and the other Big 3.

Phone
    S390G LG500G T404G T301G V170
    Carrier
    TracFone (AT&T SIM)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Tracfancier View Post
    WARNING to those with no Smartphone experience:
    You can expect to receive little or no help from Tracfone CSR`s, if you have a problem with a BYOP.
    They will have NO experience nor the knowledge to help you.
    That is true of Tracfone CSRs with all phones, not just smartphones.

Call and ask them about a 2-3 year old feature phone sold by TF and they have no clue either.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast