Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Which Android Tracfone?

Phone
    LG L39C
    Carrier
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score

Which Android Tracfone?

OK, I'm tired of little kids with iPhones laughing at me when I whip out my LG flip phone, I'd like to move into the 21st Century. Been tempted with the new Tracfone Android offerings, but which one is best? Primarily used for voice calls and text, but GPS, an occasional email check and web search would be appreciated.
    The ZTE Valet looks good to me but a lot of reviews say the call signal strength is not that great. I live in a pretty remote area, the coverage is generally pretty good, but there are dead spots as well. My flip phone has zero style, but it has good reception. It is a GMA phone and I will be switching to CDMA, probably Verizon. I don't want to take a step down in call quality.
    Saw the Huawei Glory in WalMart today, but I've hardly head of them save for the fact that they transmit information back to Chinese Intelligence services.
    The Samsung Galaxy Centura seems to have less technology than the other phones at the same price, but Samsung is a pretty good company(I have a Samsung SSD in my workstation), are the lower grade specs a deal killer?
    The LG Optimus Dynamic seems to have the lowest specs of all, but my past two Tracfones have been LG phones and I have had no problems and good reception.
    I've been checking out all the reviews, but I still don't know which one to choose. Any and all opinions would be appreciated.

Feedback Score
    There's some of us waiting to see how the LG39C is .... listed on the TF site with manual/tutorial but not available to play with yet. This is the LG Optimus Dynamic 2. No reviews of any use yet. Optimus Dynamic 1 has a major drawback in that the apps have to stay on the phone; can't be transferred to the SD card, which renders the phone pretty useless for anything except talk/text as the phone fills up quickly with only a couple of apps.

Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ronbo613 View Post
    OK, I'm tired of little kids with iPhones laughing at me when I whip out my LG flip phone, I'd like to move into the 21st Century. Been tempted with the new Tracfone Android offerings, but which one is best? Primarily used for voice calls and text, but GPS, an occasional email check and web search would be appreciated.
    The ZTE Valet looks good to me but a lot of reviews say the call signal strength is not that great. I live in a pretty remote area, the coverage is generally pretty good, but there are dead spots as well. My flip phone has zero style, but it has good reception. It is a GMA phone and I will be switching to CDMA, probably Verizon. I don't want to take a step down in call quality.
    Saw the Huawei Glory in WalMart today, but I've hardly head of them save for the fact that they transmit information back to Chinese Intelligence services.
    The Samsung Galaxy Centura seems to have less technology than the other phones at the same price, but Samsung is a pretty good company(I have a Samsung SSD in my workstation), are the lower grade specs a deal killer?
    The LG Optimus Dynamic seems to have the lowest specs of all, but my past two Tracfones have been LG phones and I have had no problems and good reception.
    I've been checking out all the reviews, but I still don't know which one to choose. Any and all opinions would be appreciated.
    My requirements are similar to yours. I went from an LG 290C to the Centura. Same Verizon network but better sound at both ends. If you are not currently on the Verizon your coverage will be different. What phone do you have now? Works well. The only thing better about the 290C was much better battery life.

Feedback Score
    ZTE owners r reporting weak WiFi performance.
    Cheers!

Phone
    S390G LG500G T404G T301G V170
    Carrier
    TracFone (AT&T SIM)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ronbo613 View Post
    OK, I'm tired of little kids with iPhones laughing at me when I whip out my LG flip phone, I'd like to move into the 21st Century.
    Let them laugh. They probably aren't even paying the phone bill.

I'm often tempted to switch back to my Moto flip phone. I just like the qwerty keyboard on my S390G better for text messages (and TMFL).

Lots of reasons for a smartphone, but keeping up with the Joneses isn't a great one.

You may well not like a smartphone at all. I know I'm no fan of them.
    Last edited by ST Dog; 11-28-2013 at 12:40 PM. Reason: typos

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ST Dog View Post
    Lots of reasoins for a smartphone, but keeping up with the Joneses isn't a great one. You may well not like it at all. I know I'm no fan of them.
    Keeping up with whom, the Joneses? They aren't bad folk.
    Last edited by annepani; 11-28-2013 at 02:45 PM.

Phone
    Carrier
    TracFone (AT&T SIM)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by annepani View Post
    Who, the Joneses? They aren't bad folk.
    Didn't say they were bad. We just don't get along

Phone
    LG L39C
    Carrier
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Lots of reasons for a smartphone, but keeping up with the Joneses isn't a great one.
    Not necessarily keeping up with the Joneses, it would be helpful to have access to the internet from the phone, it saves time. GPS would be nice as well. I'm in no hurry, I can wait and see how things go, but it would be nice to step up to a smartphone at some point.

Phone
    MotoG, MotoAtrixHD, Samsung Fascinate, MotoX2
    Carrier
    PagePlus, AirVoice, TracFone
    Feedback Score
    I have the ZTE Valet and it works good for me. The wireless is fine for me in my home from 20-30 feet away. The Verizon signal is good even though the signal bars are as low as two bars. I think you can't really go by the signal bars, maybe a hardware issue.
    it's not a great phone but it is ok as far as TF offerings go. It's on sale now at HSN for $79.99 with a 200 minute 90 days of service TF code/card which triples to 600 each of talk, text and data. The card alone is $40.
    If you get good Verizon service it should be fine. If you are worried about the WIFI I guess it depends on your particular surroundings/walls etc. Never used the GPS, so no comment there.
    I like it.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by larymor View Post
    I have the ZTE Valet and it works good for me. The wireless is fine for me in my home from 20-30 feet away. The Verizon signal is good even though the signal bars are as low as two bars. I think you can't really go by the signal bars, maybe a hardware issue.
    it's not a great phone but it is ok as far as TF offerings go. It's on sale now at HSN for $79.99 with a 200 minute 90 days of service TF code/card which triples to 600 each of talk, text and data. The card alone is $40.
    If you get good Verizon service it should be fine. If you are worried about the WIFI I guess it depends on your particular surroundings/walls etc. Never used the GPS, so no comment there.
    I like it.
    I also have the ZTE Valet and wonder about their signal strength indicators. I show no bars at times but it makes calls just fine and no drops. In fact, it seems better than my T-mobile phone so far. Also, the wifi appears weak but yet it works throughout my house.

Phone
    LG L39C
    Carrier
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Thanks for your input, I appreciate it.
    The ZTE looks like a pretty decent phone but the signal strength and WiFi coverage are the biggest worries.

Carriers
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I'm using the Valet right now. I can tell you the Wi-Fi is not very good, but the 3g is sometimes as fast as the Droid RAZR on 3g. My last speedtest came out very low:
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Phone
    LG L39C
    Carrier
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Looks like the Huawei H868C has shown up in the local Walmart, so now that phone is in the mix. Out of the four Android Tracfones, the Huawei looks to be the the best one, at least on paper. I like the ZTE Valet, but the slow WiFi and possible weak connectivity are scaring my off that one. Huawei is sort of an unknown commodity, that's a factor.
    I've been keeping track of the Tracfone BYOP deal, that may be better than picking one of the Tracfone Android phones, but I'm thinking it might be a good idea to wait a bit until the BYOP program gets some of the bugs worked out before I run out and buy a phone.

Carrier
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    YouTube now has a review by Saveonprepaidphones (he does great reviews) on the Huawei, he tells about the good and the bad of it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xMXsBe7TkE

Phone
    Carrier
    TracFone (AT&T SIM)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Padfoot4 View Post
    YouTube now has a review by Saveonprepaidphones (he does great reviews) on the Huawei, he tells about the good and the bad of it.
    Really, I caught 2 big mistakes in the first minute.

1) It's Verizon only. No Sprint.
    2) The 300MB card does not triple, it's just 300MB of data.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast