Thread: Samsung S4: How to Enable Background Data...and reach Google Play Store?

Feedback Score

Samsung S4: How to Enable Background Data...and reach Google Play Store?

I just finished downloading the T-Mobile update for Android 4.3, but it has caused a glitch that keeps my Samsung GalaxyS4 from accessing the Google Play Store.

Each attempt to click on Play Store results in being directed to a “Sync” screen, with the message that “Background data disabled.” It wants me to “enable background data.” My only alternatives at that screen are to “Quit,” or click “Enable.”

However, when I click “Enable,” it takes me to a screen titled “Sync settings.” That screen displays 4 Email accounts that I have, but there is no apparent link to anything having to do with “Background data.” Further, clicking on each of those accounts leads to nothing dealing with “background data.” I have also “sync’d” every connection category (a couple dozen, or so!) that I could find on my S4.

I have searched through all the S4 Settings (many times), but cannot locate anything that seems to deal with “Enable background data.” I also did a Google search for this issue, but the only seeming helpful reference wants me to go to Settings – Wireless and Networks…, but that specific menu title does not exist in the Samsung S4. [Ultimately, what that reference wants me do is reach a menu choice that ensures “Auto sync data is selected.” However, I see no way within the S4 settings/menus to “Auto sync data.”]

What recommendations are there for “Enabling background data,” so that I can use the Google Play Store?

Carrier(s)
    Telus Mobility
    Feedback Score
    There was something about having to update the Play store, but I can't seem to relocate the reference.

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Tapatalk
    Samsung Galaxy SIIX / HTC Touch Pro 2 / HTC Touch Diamond / LG 535 / Nokia 252

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by KuenCh View Post
    There was something about having to update the Play store, but I can't seem to relocate the reference.

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Tapatalk
    KuenCh,

Thanks to your comment, I did another Google search, for something LIKE "updating Google Play Store...and that led to the solution.

I chose the most recent link that seemed useful, which was dated Nov. 23, 2013.

Solution was quickly achieved by following link advice to..."Empty the cache." Thus, I accessed "Application Manager," selected Google Play Store, and clicked at the bottom: "Empty cache." I had an instant fix: Play Store activated properly right after that!

Perhaps this will help some other unfortunate soul who updates to Android 4.1.3