Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Possible Clearwire -> Sprint LTE migration path. Unlimited Sprint LTE?

Device(s)
    Moto G4, Novatel 7730L, ZTE Mobley, StarTAC
    Carrier(s)
    Viaero, Commnet, VZW, AT&T, Sprint
    Feedback Score

Possible Clearwire -> Sprint LTE migration path. Unlimited Sprint LTE?

I'm seeing another "unlimited data" opportunity on the horizon. For those that dream about having an unlimited data mobile hotspot, you should consider doing this:

Name:  clear to sprint.jpg
Views: 7232
Size:  31.3 KB

Sprint Wireless just acquired the remaining assets of Clearwire. That means that Sprint will decommission clearwire's 4G WiMax network and wrap the Clearwire Customers into Sprint's 4G LTE network (sometime in 2014 it appears). The exact nature of this transition isn't known, but it is reasonable to conclude that Sprint might honor Clearwire's rateplans on the Sprint 4G LTE network in an effort to not loose customers. That means there is a strong possibility that Clearwire's $35 or $50 unlimited hotspot internet plans will transition to Sprint's 4G LTE network! Unlimited data on a mobile hotspot isn't offered natively by Sprint at any price, this will be a hyper awesome / hyper secret deal.

Unfortunately, Clearwire cannot sell any new clearwire devices anymore due to the pending migration www.clear.com . So, the only way onto a clearwire plan is to acquire a used mobile hotspot or USB modem from ebay or similar. Once you have a clearwire device, clearwire will activate new service through the end of December 2013 (assuming you have access to a physical address in a clearwire 4G Wimax market; they are really trying to limit the number of people sliding through this massive hole). After that, no new activations and everyone is then grandfathered in. Sprint is rumored to start the clearwire to Sprint LTE transition in mid 2014. It's in Sprint's best interest to decommission the clearwire 4G WiMax network as soon as possible to make way for Sprint 4G LTE.

I'll be honest: clearwire's 4G WiMax network stinks. It has dismal coverage and isn't that fast http://www.clear.com/coverage . You will have to put up with clearwire 4G WiMax until the transition. However, when clearwire customers are migrated to Sprint LTE several months from now, life will be quite awesome. Having an unlimited hotspot is like having a portable cable/DSL internet connection.

I'm not sure exactly which rateplan's Clearwire is still activating, but it's reasonable to conclude they are somewhere between $35 and $50 per month. I'll report my finding when I make my move.

This scenario has played out before:

For reference, I did something similar when Verizon acquired divested Centennial Wireless markets in early 2011. I bought some Centennial unlimited data contracts at $40/month. They were migrated to Verizon 3G EVDO in July 2011 and offered to migrate to Unlimited Verizon 4G LTE in July 2012 (contract renewal again). I played the game and as a prize: I got a few unlimited mobile hotspot plans on the Verizon 4G LTE network: http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...ted-to-Verizon

I should have bought a hundred Centennial contracts, but that's perfect hindsight.

If your doing this or currently have clearwire. Please report your findings.
    Last edited by martin_j001; 11-30-2013 at 05:16 PM.

Device(s)
    Sprint iPhone
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    I have Unlimited Clear now for $49.95/mo. If I activate a new device it's $54.95/mo

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    http://www.dslreports.com/forum/rema...90?hilite=2015 These guys have a different spin on the clearwire endgame. They are saying that clearwire's network will continue to function through 2015. They are also pessimistic about Sprint's network transition plans. They suspect that Sprint will let clearwire customers and network die on the vine.

I'm still optimistic. https://secure.dslreports.com/showne...ionwide-125201 I think Sprint is going to start putting out carrots to clearwire customers to upgrade to the LTE-TDD network. $60/month paying customer is hard to loose.

Device(s)
    Nexus 6
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    There's been rumors regarding a fixed home broadband offering, one possibly with Dish. Dailywireless has been posting some scenarios on this since the Softbank/Dish battle. Found this today: http://www.dailywireless.org/2013/12...-for-partners/

Some prior articles seem to make a case for it, Dish has been testing fixed home TD-LTE.

http://www.dailywireless.org/2013/06...s-rooftop-lte/

http://www.dailywireless.org/2013/10...rk-50-60-mbps/

Quote Originally Posted by dailywireless
    The applications for 1Gbps mobile are pretty limited. Sprint’s major commitment to 8×8 MIMO, carrier aggregation, and consumer devices with 4X2 MIMO indicate a strong interest in delivering fixed broadband and (perhaps) “wireless cable” as well as the usual mobile applications.

VIDEO: 'Sprint Spark Hands-on: 1 Gbps Speeds, Four 4K Video Streams at Once'

http://blog.laptopmag.com/sprint-spark-hands-on-1-gbps

Sprint is still playing catch-up in the 4G wars, but today it demonstrated a path that could help it leapfrog the competition. Its new Spark service combines is capable of delivering 50 Mbps peak speeds to new smartphones like the Galaxy Mega. At its lab near Silicon Valley, Sprint also showed us what’s possible once it aggregates 60 MHz of spectrum, including delivering 1 Gbps of throughput to deliver four simultaneous streams of 4K video.

Lets start with what’s happening in the five Spark launch cities, including New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, Tampa and Miami. So-called tri-band phones that tap into Sprint’s 800 MHz, 1.9-GHz and 2.5 GHz bands (the latter acquired from Clearwire), will deliver top speeds of 50 to 60 Mbps and an average of at least 15 Mbps down.

Quote Originally Posted by S4GRU
    One TD-LTE 20MHz carrier has 1.5 times the capacity of one 750MHz LTE 10MHz carrier.

So here is the math, comparing one VZW LTE carrier with maximum coverage, one Sprint TD-LTE carrier on 12 sites would have 18 times the capacity, for half the customers. Whoa!

Even if you add the second AWS carrier on Verizon, Sprint still has more for half the customers when you add three TD-LTE Sprint carriers, plus add LTE 800 & 1900. Sprint's capacity would be more than five fold greater than Verizon for half the customers. The numbers look really good compared to AT&T too.

It means they are going to focus build out of Band 41 with carrier aggregation and 8xMIMO in the Top 100 cities first. Band 41 is going to be deployed nationwide. However, the upgraded elements of Band 41 build out is going to require a lot of infrastructure upgrade. Sites are going to need much more backhaul then they currently are receiving. This is going to be a massive undertaking.
    Link

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Well, Today is the last day to signup for clearwire. I bit the bullet and took the premium $55 tier on a clearspot voyager.

I don't live in a clearwire market, there is only one "guard/protection" cell here. Here are the results:

4Mbps Down/ .05Mbps Up RSSI:-81 , CINR:14

Nothing like my Unlimited Verizon 4G LTE, but it isn't something to be laughed at either. It's still better than the lackluster DSL from the phone company. Lets hope this hedge bet works out (i.e. migration path to Sprint LTE). Until then, I've got the perfect spot/application for this device to ride the clearwire endgame.

Device(s)
    T-Mobile BlackBerry Priv, VZW AC791L Jetpack, MoFi 4500 SIM4 V. 2 LTE Gateway
    Carrier(s)
    ▪T▪ ▪ ▪Mobile▪, Verizon Wireless, AT&T BLAST! Plan from 4ghsDOTcom
    Feedback Score

Exclamation

After nearly 2 months of Clear 4G being down the vast majority of the time in my neighborhood, my service has finally been fully restored... for now. I'm keeping my modems active on my unlimited plan in the hopes that Sprint will give Clear customers an LTE migration path with unlimited service. I wish they would have announced what they were doing before Clear stopped activating devices. Obviously they've avoided announcing it so they wouldn't have a rush of activations on the unlimited plans.
    Photobucket's policy changes SUCK!

New signature coming soon-ish...

Carrier(s)
    MetroPCS / T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by E_tron View Post
    I'm seeing another "unlimited data" opportunity on the horizon. For those that dream about having an unlimited data mobile hotspot, you should consider doing this:

Name:  clear to sprint.jpg
Views: 7232
Size:  31.3 KB

I'll be honest: clearwire's 4G WiMax network stinks. It has dismal coverage and isn't that fast http://www.clear.com/coverage . You will have to put up with clearwire 4G WiMax until the transition. However, when clearwire customers are migrated to Sprint LTE several months from now, life will be quite awesome. Having an unlimited hotspot is like having a portable cable/DSL internet connection.
    Actually, my Clear service is 1,000 times better than Sprint LTE (4G) or even Sprint 3G in Las Vegas. Also, I already have an unlimited hotspot via Clear. All you have to do is run a free program on your pc or laptop called virtual router. Also, there are very inexpensive hardware alternatives that can turn any clear modem into a hotspot without a PC at all.

When Sprint shuts down Clear we are probably going to be at the mercy of high priced LIMITED LTE plans. For me, an LTE plan with a 5gb limit is useless. I use Clear as my home internet service. Anything that Sprint offers with a bandwidth cap will instantly lose me as a customer.

via the HoFo App

Carrier(s)
    AT&T/Sprint/VZW
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by cellphone-guy View Post
    Actually, my Clear service is 1,000 times better than Sprint LTE (4G) or even Sprint 3G in Las Vegas. Also, I already have an unlimited hotspot via Clear. All you have to do is run a free program on your pc or laptop called virtual router. Also, there are very inexpensive hardware alternatives that can turn any clear modem into a hotspot without a PC at all.

When Sprint shuts down Clear we are probably going to be at the mercy of high priced LIMITED LTE plans. For me, an LTE plan with a 5gb limit is useless. I use Clear as my home internet service. Anything that Sprint offers with a bandwidth cap will instantly lose me as a customer.

via the HoFo App
    I have a home modem and two hotspots on Clear. I'm not holding my breath. Sprint has a terrible track record with grandfathered plans. I used to have an unlimited USB modem plan and they decided to change the plan and I had no recourse: I lost unlimited.

Not that our current duopoly needs any defending but I have a few unlimited smartphone plans on big red and the death star and so far I still have them even after they got rid of them... knock on wood. No throttling as of yet or no threats of losing the plans yet

Carrier(s)
    AT&T GoPhone
    Feedback Score
    I've read on DSLReports that Clear/Sprint has been notifying some subscribers in areas where towers are getting shut down that they will no longer have any sort of service. Anyone here experience that? Did they offer you any deals to move to LTE?

Device(s)
    Palm Centro Pro
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint PCS (SERO 500)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by silentjudge View Post
    I've read on DSLReports that Clear/Sprint has been notifying some subscribers in areas where towers are getting shut down that they will no longer have any sort of service. Anyone here experience that? Did they offer you any deals to move to LTE?
    I'm interested in learning more as well. I've been with Clear (formerly Xohm) since they day that the went into business. I'd love to get on another wireless plan in order to avoid the hassle of Comcast or FIOS.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    I haven't been notified about impending discontinuation of wimax. Haven't been offered a migration path to LTE either (I'm really holding out for that).

My clear devices are have "service address" to the Houston market. There is Sprint spark overlaying that area and clearwire wimax continues to operate. However, i typically use Clearspots on guard cells where they don't actively sell the service (those random single cells all over the country). It's really been hit or miss recently. They don't seem to care about the back haul at those sites.

Also, I've been able to acquire a $35+tax unlimited full speed loyalty retention tier by calling in to cancel. Just say you like the service, but you don't need it. That was the 1st retention offer and i took it on my lines. You can still re-add the service if they call your bluff.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    In the intervening time--if you really want Sprint LTE--ChitChat Mobile offers compelling mobile broadband tiers on Sprint: 20GB for $50/month and 40GB for $80/month. They are appear to be eligible for tri-band LTE devices.

http://chitchatmobile.com/plans/broadband/

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by E_tron View Post
    In the intervening time--if you really want Sprint LTE--ChitChat Mobile offers compelling mobile broadband tiers on Sprint: 20GB for $50/month and 40GB for $80/month. They are appear to be eligible for tri-band LTE devices.

http://chitchatmobile.com/plans/broadband/
    Whoa! What areas are they limited to? I've never heard of them in my area. $80 a month for 40 GB is a steal!

Device(s)
    Sprint iPhone
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    DSLR has a long thread about this.
    Tried CCM about 6 months ago and never got LTE working.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by schmidtj View Post
    DSLR has a long thread about this.
    Tried CCM about 6 months ago and never got LTE working.
    DSLR?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast