Thread: Samsung Centura factory reset

Feedback Score

Samsung Centura factory reset

So, my Centura won't disconnect from my home WiFi. I'm miles away from home, and the phone thinks it is still connected to our router. The problem is that it won't switch to 3G if it thinks there's a WiFi connection.

Anyway, several people posted on other places on the net, that a "factory reset" or "hard reset" might resolve this problem. I'm assuming they mean "Menu" -> "System settings" -> "Backup & reset" -> "Factory data reset" from the home screen.

I'm willing to give this a shot, but I don't quite understand what this does to my phone especially with respect to Tracfone.

What happens after? Does the Google back-up thing restore my apps? Will my phone remember its own number? Do I dial the *228 thing?

Presumably, since the balance is stored on the system rather than the phone, Tracfone/Verizon still knows how many minutes/texts/MB I have left.

My first Android experience, so thanks in advance.

Feedback Score
    Take out the battery while the phone is on. Kind of like a kill switch for nonsense. The phone is made to handle battery pulls, won't hurt anything unless you are in the middle of composing a text, etc. like on a computer. A normal shutdown can result in the saving of the nonsense.

Then reinstall the battery and power on.

Carrier
    Ting - R+ - Lyca - PPC
    Feedback Score
    I assume you did turn off WiFi just to make sure it was not searching, you can toggle airplane mode on an off an that will usually bump it to mobile data.

Feedback Score
    i can toggle the WiFi using the widget. That's not my question. I want to try factory reset to see if will disconnect automatically (it should be doing this).

My question is what happens after a factory reset.

Sent with the HoFo App

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rchang View Post
    i can toggle the WiFi using the widget. That's not my question. I want to try factory reset to see if will disconnect automatically (it should be doing this).

My question is what happens after a factory reset.

Sent with the HoFo App
    a factory reset erases everything you have downloaded/stored on your phone. it will not affect the sd card if it has one. your phone
    should return to default settings.

Feedback Score
    I found the "Advanced" WiFi settings. You have to press the menu button once you are in the regular WiFi settings page.

In the Advanced menu, there is an option to "Keep WiFi on during sleep". I turned that off. It means the phone scans for WiFi each time it wakes up, but that's what I want it to do.

So, no factory reset for me, yet.

Sent with the HoFo App

Phone
    LG Ultimate 2
    Carrier
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    By changing that setting, you'll also save your battery life because it won't be constantly scanning for updates and incoming e-mails. Name:  CHRISTMAS20MOUSE.gif
Views: 7342
Size:  4.1 KB

Feedback Score
    When you do a factory reset, will you still have your minutes/data/text or do you have to deal with Tracfone again?
    KINDNESS SHOULD BE A DISEASE

Feedback Score
    The minute stuff is not stored on the handset, so I don't see how it could get messed up.