Thread: Net10 BYOP - trouble w/ activation

Feedback Score

Net10 BYOP - trouble w/ activation

Hubby bought a used AT&T (locked) iphone 3GS from Gamestop for cheap over black friday weekend. He wanted to try it with Net10 and test out service when we are traveling to visit family for the holidays. If it works well (and gets some roaming while we are traveling), then I might consider switching over from GoPhone, as it is cheaper.

I picked up a Net10 BYOP sim and unlimited plan card at Target today. When he tried to activate it, it wasn't working, so he called Net10 CS. They told him the card pin was not being recognized and had not been properly activated at Target. It clearly shows on my receipt that it was purchased, so he calls the Target where I got it and asked. They said if it was scanned and showing on the receipt, then it should be good, that they don't do anything else to activate it. So he called Net10 CS again, spoke w/ a different agent, they told him the same thing. They said his only option is to fax a copy of the purchase receipt and it would take up to 48 hours to resolve the issue (which seems crazy!).

Anyways, he is being super impatient and doesn't want to wait til he can fax from work tomorrow. They said he could purchase another airtime card to activate the phone w/ and then use the one from Target next month (after they verify that we did actually purchase it). Can we just purchase a card from callingmart.com and they send us the pin needed to activate the card? Or does it need to be a special type of card since he has not actually activated the iphone or ported his number over yet?

Also, will he be getting AT&T service for sure if we use a BYOP card? There wasn't anything on it about it being a Verizon, TMo, or AT&T type sim card. And last Q, if we update the APN settings through the Net10 website, will that ensure that MMS, data, and everything else is working properly or is there something else we have to do to make sure it works (since its an iphone?). He is looking into jailbreaking it, but is a bit unsure of that right now and wanted to test out service first.

Feedback Score
    what sim did you put in the AT&T iphone??? the net10 byop kit comes with 2 different sim cards an AT&T sim or a Tmobile sim
    if you use the Tmobile sim the phone will need to be unlocked. you can only use the $50/month card.

Feedback Score
    it says it is GSM compatible and that it works w/ any AT&T phone, or any unlocked GSM phone, so I figured it was the AT&T sim.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ang79 View Post
    it says it is GSM compatible and that it works w/ any AT&T phone, or any unlocked GSM phone, so I figured it was the AT&T sim.
    it should have 2 different sim cards in the package, one is an AT&T sim and the other is a tmobile sim. since you have an AT&T phone
    you would need to use the AT&T sim.