Thread: Can I use my Samsung Mega on the Straight Talk network?

Feedback Score

Question Can I use my Samsung Mega on the Straight Talk network?

So I recently bought a Samsung mega 6.3 for us cellular, however now my parents want to jump ship to the Straight Talk $45 Unlimited plan.. Is it possible to just buy the activation sim card for the straight talk service and put it in the mega and be good to go..? or is that just too easy?

Phones
    ME: Motorola Moto X
    Fiance: Samsung Galaxy Note 2
    My Secondary is a Samsung Galaxy Note 2
    Carrier
    US Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by abc123abc View Post
    So I recently bought a Samsung mega 6.3 for us cellular, however now my parents want to jump ship to the Straight Talk $45 Unlimited plan.. Is it possible to just buy the activation sim card for the straight talk service and put it in the mega and be good to go..? or is that just too easy?
    Straight Talk is GSM. US Cellular is CDMA. The Device will not work on Straight Talk.

Feedback Score
    anyway to flash the phone to the gsm network. or would my best bet be to sell the us cellular phone and then buy an unlocked tmobile/att samsung mega on gsm network..?

Feedback Score
    anyway to flash the phone to the gsm network. or would my best bet be to sell the us cellular phone and then buy an unlocked tmobile/att samsung mega on gsm network..?
    No. It would be like trying to use diesel in a car that runs on regular gas. It just won't work. However, in some areas, Straight Talk does use CMDA. Visit the Straight Talk forum to see if what you're trying to do is possible.

Redwood Valley, Northwestern California (Previous-Pocatello, Idaho(90-97)/Southern California(71-90)
    Phone
    HTC One M8/LG G3/LG G Pad 7.0LTE
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

Feedback Score
    the area is western wisconsin. does anyone know if if straight talk uses cdma in that area?
    when i enter my meid from my us cellular on http://stbyop.com/straighttalk/ it says its compatible, however it also says some phones still may not work.. can anyone help?

Carriers
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    the area is western wisconsin. does anyone know if if straight talk uses cdma in that area?
    when i enter my meid from my us cellular on http://stbyop.com/straighttalk/ it says its compatible, however it also says some phones still may not work.. can anyone help?
    its actually an LTE phone and if memory serves me Straight Talk doesn't offer service to those yet they offer 3G and below...if you go to straight talks website see if the phones end in g that would be an indicator that it uses AT&T or T-Mobile...hope it helps and good luck

Feedback Score
    Mod note: Again, your best bet would be to visit the Stright Talk forum here on HoFo, which can be found at http://www.howardforums.com/forumdis...-Straight-Talk. In light of that, I'm moving this thread there, and leaving an expiring redirect here, so you can still find your thread.

Feedback Score

straight talk cdma and gsm service but no us cellular or sprint cdma

Quote Originally Posted by grusshill View Post
    its actually an LTE phone and if memory serves me Straight Talk doesn't offer service to those yet they offer 3G and below...if you go to straight talks website see if the phones end in g that would be an indicator that it uses AT&T or T-Mobile...hope it helps and good luck
    I could be mistaken, but straight talk just announced that they have 4g lte for at&t gsm phones. I don't know if the mega will work though because of the new law passed that new phones can't be unlocked in the USA anymore.

you can flash it to straight talk, i know a guy that did my us cellular note 2, its only 3g though :/

Phones
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    Carrier
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    From these specifications, the Samsung Galaxy Mega designed for use on the U.S. Cellular network has neither GSM nor WCDMA bands which work on AT&T Mobility or T-Mobile. The telephone does not have the LTE bands uses by those carriers either.

LTE (4G)
    850 Extended Cellular / band 26 USA
    1900 PCS+G / band 25 USA
    2500 BRS / EBS (ClearWire) / band 41 USA

WCDMA (3G / 4G)
    850 Cellular / band 5 (V) Americas, Oceania, Brazil, Israel
    900 band 8 (VIII) Europe, Asia, Africa
    1900 PCS / band 2 (II) Americas
    2100 IMT / band 1 (I) Europe, Asia, Africa, Oceania, Brazil, India, Israel

CDMA (2G / 3G)
    800 ESMR / BC10 Americas
    850 Cellular / BC0 Americas, Oceania, Brazil, Israel
    1900 PCS / BC1 Americas

GSM (2G)
    850 Cellular Americas, Oceania, Brazil, Israel
    900 Europe, Asia, Africa
    1800 DCS Europe, Asia, Africa
    1900 PCS Americas

US Cellular version supports additional LTE bands and does not support global roaming (GSM, WCDMA).
    Earl F. Parrish

Phones
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    Carrier
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by joshuasulwer View Post
    I could be mistaken, but straight talk just announced that they have 4g lte for at&t gsm phones. I don't know if the mega will work though because of the new law passed that new phones can't be unlocked in the USA anymore.

you can flash it to straight talk, i know a guy that did my us cellular note 2, its only 3g though :/
    There is no new law on unlocking wireless telephones. The law in question is the Digital Millennium Copyright Act effective on October 28, 1998. The Librarian of Congress, who has plenary authority to administer the copyrights laws of the United States, issued a temporary exemption against enforcing the law against unlocking of telephones. The exemption expired at the end of 2012.