Thread: BrightSpot Forum

Phones
    :: Samsung Galaxy S2 :: Nokia Lumia 710 :: LG Optimus F3 ::
    :: Samsung Galaxy S2 ::
    :: Nokia Lumia 521 ::
    Carrier
    ::T~Mobile 2 Go :: Lycamobile :: PTel ::
    Feedback Score
    I had seen a few questions about BrightSpot on the regular T Mobile prepaid subforum a while back.
    Maybe they could add BrightSpot to that subforum like GoPhone and AIO are now one subforum.
    After I heard about the new T~Mobile Prepaid Plans

Carrier
    BrightSpot Mobile
    Feedback Score
    BrightSpot- Good even with some quirks.

I have been using BrightSpot for a bit over a month now. Prior to this, I was using Tmobile pre-paid direct from T Mobile for about 1 year, and prior to that, T-Mobile post paid for a few years. I searched for reviews from others of BrightSpot service, and basically this forum is all I saw. So I wanted to share my experiences with the service and why I chose it.

My initial main reason to switch from T Mobile post paid to pre-paid was to save money for the same service. My overall T Mobile post paid bills were around $100 (tax inclusive) for unlimited everything, and pre-paid made that go down to about $75 (tax inclusive). Around Christmas, I wanted to upgrade from my Samsung s2 to the s3. The s3 from TMobile pre-paid was at around $450 in stores. Target had the same phone for $349, and the month service was (still is) $65 including 4gb of 4g data, enough for me.

So essentially, I have stuck with T Mobile service, and my bill has decreased about $40 a month between post paid and BrightSpot. This is primarily because of the difference in taxes for pre-paid service; in FL the monthly savings is substantial.

That's the background, now my actual opinion of Brightspot.

Pros:
    OVERALL COST
    Phone Pricing is competitive, and lower than T Mobile directly.
    Coverage and data speed same as T Mobile pre-paid.
    If you buy a refill card using a Target RedCard (debit or credit) you save an additional 5%- I actually pay $61.25 a month for the $65 plan.
    Customer service was adequate and the agent seemed to be in the US- at least when I called I know this can change.
    Target's plan of $25 Gift Cards every 6 months. Sooo if you really want to get into the math, I'm paying $57.09/mo for service if you calculate the $25 Gift Card by 6 months. This would only benefit those who shop at Target.
    The phone actually worked in Mexico. I turned off data roaming but calls and texts came through. I only made 1 call, and got 1 text. This was a surprise to me for a pre-paid plan.
    Phones are unlocked.

Cons:
    TEXT MSG SIZE LIMITS
    Large text messages that include pic or video attachments are not viewable to receive and cannot be sent!! I called cust serv and they actually have a list of carrier to carrier limits for text messaging max size (Im not sure she was supposed to share that specifc info with me but did). Some of mine go through- others forget it. This seems odd to me, but I guess a reflection of the cost savings? The workaround is to download a messaging App and send pics or videos through a data service, that works fine. I can upload pics and videos through Facebook etc, just fine. Not a deal breaker to me; just annoying.
    I cannot find a way to view any bill details online. I was in Mexico; phone worked; it cost me about $4 for my very limited use; no idea of the details.
    The phone will not allow wi-fi calling to engage.
    The $65 plan refill card is not sold in stores (at least not now). Again- seems odd to me. To get the 5% discount I have to buy the $65 refill card online. And to get free shipping, you must use a Target Red Card. You CAN refill the service online with credit card, checking account, and I suppose I could buy two smaller amount refill cards at the store to get to the $65. But just odd, you offer a $65 service but dont sell the $65 cards in Target stores (just $50, and I think $35)??

I hope this info helps anybody trying to decide if it's right for you. Im not too much of a techie, so I apologize in advance if you ask me tech questions and I have no idea how to answer

Phone
    HTC Droid Incredible 2
    Carriers
    PagePlus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    bk1976, I'm curious about your "Phones are unlocked" statement. Do you know if ALL BrightSpot phones are unlocked, or are you only basing that on your BrightSpot packaged Samsung s3? I'm actually really wondering if the BrightSpot packaged Nokia 521 phones are unlocked. Thanks!
    PagePlus---13 Years & Counting . . . . . Lycamobile---1 Year & Counting
    *Ericsson AF738, Jul 2001-Dec 2003, *Qualcomm QCP 2760, Dec 2003-Feb 2008, *LG VX-8600, Feb 2008-Apr 2010, *Samsung Omnia SCH-i910, Apr 2010-Nov 2011, *HTC Droid Incredible (CM7.2 ROM), Nov 2011-Jun 2013, *HTC Droid Incredible 2 (CM7.2 ROM), Jun 2013-Present

Phones
    Samsung x427m
    Nokia 6590i
    Ericsson T28
    Carrier
    Cingular for 8 yrs;
    Feedback Score
    Bk 1976 -
    Thanks for the very informative post.
    I'd only heard of Bright spot here once on the forum, so it's a pretty well kept secret.
    And I'm with Boz 1 on that unlocked matter.
    If the Nokia Lumia 521 were actually unlocked, I would get one to play with.
    In another thread, it sounded like they were on close out at a very attractive price.
    now with H2O, after Straight Talk LTE sim debacle 4th Quarter 2013.
    Currently on locked AT&T iPhone 4S. (backup: iPhone 4)
    iOS: 7.1.2, carrier: AT&T 16.0 , modem: 5.2.00 , Data & MMS just fine.
    Previously at: iOS 6.1.3, carrier 14.2, modem 3.4.03 .

Phone
    HTC Droid Incredible 2
    Carriers
    PagePlus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Anole View Post
    Bk 1976 -
    Thanks for the very informative post.
    I'd only heard of Bright spot here once on the forum, so it's a pretty well kept secret.
    And I'm with Boz 1 on that unlocked matter.
    If the Nokia Lumia 521 were actually unlocked, I would get one to play with.
    In another thread, it sounded like they were on close out at a very attractive price.
    Yeah, they were $35 through Tuesday, but I'm thinking it was just a sale, not on closeout, because it is back up to $64.99 now. http://www.target.com/p/brightspot-n...k/-/A-14791711

I'm still hoping bk1976 comes back and answers...

Carrier
    BrightSpot Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I should have been more specific on my statement about the phones being unlocked; and the reality is that I'm not sure. I should have thought a bit more carefully about the potential impact of what I was saying. That is actually a pretty big question for many, especially if the price of the phone is good- to want to buy it from Brightspot and use elsewhere. Here is my answer: I don't know if a phone bought through Brightspot would actually work without Brightspot service. Sorry for my earlier statement about "unlocked." I'll be more careful to just stick to my personal experience, and that's not part of what I have tried personally.

I did find one more unfortunate Con recently to add to the list sadly.
    The Brightspot service does not permit short text codes at all. Including to text Target and receive a link to the Target app. I called Brightspot customer service, and they confirmed no text short codes. Not a deal breaker for me, but another little minor annoyance.

Phones
    :: Samsung Galaxy S2 :: Nokia Lumia 710 :: LG Optimus F3 ::
    :: Samsung Galaxy S2 ::
    :: Nokia Lumia 521 ::
    Carrier
    ::T~Mobile 2 Go :: Lycamobile :: PTel ::
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bk1976 View Post
    The Brightspot service does not permit short text codes at all. Including to text Target and receive a link to the Target app. I called Brightspot customer service, and they confirmed no text short codes. Not a deal breaker for me, but another little minor annoyance.
    Is the link they send to the Target app a different app than the one in the Play store?
    I have both the Target app and Cartwheel both from Google Play.

Sent from my Fantastic Galaxy S2

Feedback Score
    Hello Friends,

I am on T-Mo $60 Monthly plan for now because I need little more than 1G data per month. Given that BrightSpot offers 1G data for $50 and additional redcard discount, I am really leaning towards switching to BrightSpot. Before I do that, is there any other comparable service/plan that I should look into? Also, has anyone ported number from T-Mo to BrightSpot?

TIA!

Edit: Answering my own question - SimpleMobile is even cheaper for 1G, just $40. Somehow I missed that earlier. So any pointers to compare between SimpleMobile and BrightSpot? Or it doesn't really matter as both are TMo MVNO?

Carrier
    35orless
    Feedback Score
    I believe the Brightspot phones are only locked to the T-Mobile network. So if you bought one you could put a T-Mobile SIM in it and it will work. We've had customers activate Brightspot handsets

Carriers
    T-Mobile
    Lyca
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bandoba View Post
    Hello Friends,

I am on T-Mo $60 Monthly plan for now because I need little more than 1G data per month. Given that BrightSpot offers 1G data for $50 and additional redcard discount, I am really leaning towards switching to BrightSpot. Before I do that, is there any other comparable service/plan that I should look into? Also, has anyone ported number from T-Mo to BrightSpot?

TIA!

Edit: Answering my own question - SimpleMobile is even cheaper for 1G, just $40. Somehow I missed that earlier. So any pointers to compare between SimpleMobile and BrightSpot? Or it doesn't really matter as both are TMo MVNO?
    Brightspot has roaming.

Sent with the HoFo App

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by czaplin View Post
    Brightspot has roaming.

Sent with the HoFo App
    That's good point czaplin. So that one thing itself makes it better than Simple Mobile I guess.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2