Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The Best Google Voice Alternatives - Your Thoughts?

Feedback Score

The Best Google Voice Alternatives - Your Thoughts?

I've recently ported a landline number over to a cheap GoPhone with the intention of then porting the number again over to Google Voice. Reason for this is I live outside of the US for most of the year but when I'm back I want to have a 'local' phone and when I'm not around I want to be able to receive messages, block unwanted calls etc. The idea of pairing Google Voice with something like Obi was also quite appealing but of course that's not going to be an option for much longer and I'm reading more and more of frustrations with Google Voice. All which brings me to my question ...

What's the best Google Voice alternative? I don't mind paying a monthly fee if it's low (under $20 a month).

Must Haves

1. Ability to port an existing number
    2. Ability to manage forwarding rules
    3. Ability to block callers

Nice to Haves
    1. Ability to make calls from overseas using VOIP, ideally via my iPhone, ie someone in NYC calls my local NYC number - I'm notified of the call on my iPhone while I'm sat in London. I can then call them back via the service for free with the call appearing to originate from my local NYC number.
    2. Free transcription of voice messages
    3. Ability to text via Desktop
    4. The holy grail - all of the above not requiring a cell plan of any kind

In the Running
    I've been looking at both Grasshoper & eVoice and have sent both support queries to get some answers from them but I'm open to other suggestions. Thanks!

Carrier(s)
    Verizon, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Don't know of anything else other than Google Voice, there is an app Yuilop but it didn't work that well, may be they will improve as the time passes.

If you find a solution, please post back. I suggested moderator should make it permanent topic and lock it.

Thanks

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S7
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T GoPhone
    Feedback Score
    Did you try google hangouts? It does voip via google voice on ios.

Sent with the HoFo App

Carrier(s)
    Verizon, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I haven't tried on iOS but android, there it doesn't

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by digital_vibe View Post
    I've recently ported a landline number over to a cheap GoPhone with the intention of then porting the number again over to Google Voice. Reason for this is I live outside of the US for most of the year but when I'm back I want to have a 'local' phone and when I'm not around I want to be able to receive messages, block unwanted calls etc. The idea of pairing Google Voice with something like Obi was also quite appealing but of course that's not going to be an option for much longer and I'm reading more and more of frustrations with Google Voice. All which brings me to my question ...

What's the best Google Voice alternative? I don't mind paying a monthly fee if it's low (under $20 a month).

Must Haves

1. Ability to port an existing number
    2. Ability to manage forwarding rules
    3. Ability to block callers

Nice to Haves
    1. Ability to make calls from overseas using VOIP, ideally via my iPhone, ie someone in NYC calls my local NYC number - I'm notified of the call on my iPhone while I'm sat in London. I can then call them back via the service for free with the call appearing to originate from my local NYC number.
    2. Free transcription of voice messages
    3. Ability to text via Desktop
    4. The holy grail - all of the above not requiring a cell plan of any kind

In the Running
    I've been looking at both Grasshoper & eVoice and have sent both support queries to get some answers from them but I'm open to other suggestions. Thanks!
    I ported to GV almost two years ago and use the Obi 100, but I did not want to wait until May to explore options. Here is my current setup still using my GV # and the Obi adapter but bypassing the API.

1. set up a free (IP Freedom) account with Callcentric.

2. set up a phone # at IPKall and forward it to Callcentric.

3. set up the Obi adapter for Callcentric

4. forward GV # to IPKall #.

DONE

Incoming is solid.

Dialing out has to be done with a browser (Google Voice) calling back to IPKall # (Not bad since this is my master phone book). Could take up to 5-10sec or fail once in a while, but always works after retry. I am sure you can increase the reliability just by dropping the IPKall portion and paying Callcentric a small fee for a phone #, but as you can see my most important feature = free.
    Last edited by jalban1324; 12-18-2013 at 04:32 PM. Reason: Typo

Feedback Score
    For your consideration, Callcentric offers free New York numbers. These DIDs are extremely high quality, and remove a point of failure and some possibly perceptible latency which is the IPKall -> Callcentric forward.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    It's working great for me with Call centric directly so far. Using on iPhone and works perfectly

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by The Piano Guy View Post
    For your consideration, Callcentric offers free New York numbers. These DIDs are extremely high quality, and remove a point of failure and some possibly perceptible latency which is the IPKall -> Callcentric forward.
    Hi, when I tried signing up for the free NY #, there was a monthly $1.50 911 fee. Is there a way around that with Callcentric?

Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Say that you are not from USA.

Device(s)
    Nexus 6p,iphone 6s plus
    Carrier(s)
    VZW,T-mobile,Cricket,Fi
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kirt View Post
    Say that you are not from USA.
    Yes, that works. My callcentric account has been set up that way for a couple of years.

Only disadvantage of callcentric is lack of SMS support. Callcentric is high quality VoIP service, but one can also easily find cheaper VoIP.
    "I didn't get fat by accident. This was a personal choice. " - Kevin Gillespie

Carrier(s)
    Verizon, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Doesn't work smoothly for me! Callcentric doesn't connect to my phone app over wifi and calls go to voicemail, any solution?

Device(s)
    Nexus 6p,iphone 6s plus
    Carrier(s)
    VZW,T-mobile,Cricket,Fi
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by farhan.cma View Post
    Doesn't work smoothly for me! Callcentric doesn't connect to my phone app over wifi and calls go to voicemail, any solution?

What app are you using. What phone are you using. How is the app configured.

Carrier(s)
    Lycamobile
    Feedback Score
    I'm using VoIP.ms/CSipSimple without a problem.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mch View Post
    What app are you using. What phone are you using. How is the app configured.
    Using callcentric native app, with US/Canada in setting with username and password. Am I wrong in using callcentric native app?

Device(s)
    Turbo 2
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by farhan.cma View Post
    Using callcentric native app, with US/Canada in setting with username and password. Am I wrong in using callcentric native app?
    Yikes. Looking at the Callcentric app it appears all it is supposed to do is call you back on your phone and then complete the call. However, it would be using your cellular minutes which I assume you don't want to do. Bizarre you can't make a data only call with a VoIP app.

Anyway, I suggest you look here and pick one of the apps that works on an iPhone and follow the configuration instructions. These apps do make data only calls......except for the Callcentric app.

http://www.callcentric.com/support/d...ategory=mobile

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast