Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: The Best Google Voice Alternatives - Your Thoughts?

Feedback Score
    The combination of Callcentric and csipsimple work fine for me.

Device(s)
    Turbo 2
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Another option is obivoice.com by Intelafone.

You can get unlimited minutes for $30/year if you pay for 2 years in advance ($60) and BYOD (like an Obihai ATA). This includes E911 and covers all fees and taxes. And you could port your existing GV number if you wanted to get away from Google Voice altogether or just take a new DID that they would give you and make it one of your forwarding numbers in GV and continue to use Google Voice for incoming calls.
    There's also a 500 minute/month plan for $25/year or $40/2 years. They will also supply you with an ATA for a $45 setup fee.

Unlimited calling for $2.50/month which includes E911 (and a host of other features) is a tough deal to beat. I've read in a couple other forums of people that have done the 30-day trial period and say the quality was excellent.

Remains to be seen if this company can remain viable at this price point. VoIP providers come and go.

Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score

Google Voice Alternative (and no NSA!): Tossable Digits

If you just want a few phone numbers that:

• Forward Phone Calls
    • Allow Forwarding Rules
    • Block Callers
    • Includes Free, Unlimited SMS (US/Canada numbers only), Call Recording and Voicemail

you'll be hard-pressed to find a better Google Voice replacement than TossableDigits.com. You can get a single phone number for $3.49/month plus minutes. If you don't need call forwarding, that's all you'll pay. They have other plans that include numbers and minutes as a bundle too if you need that. Honestly TD is pretty close to a drop-in replacement of Google Voice, with the added benefit of being able to have multiple phone numbers.

They've been in business since 2006 and made it through the "tanked economy" just fine. Plus, no NSA!

For the OP, you can send and receive SMS messages on the web, via mobile forwarding or via email (inbound only). You can return calls via phone and have your Virtual Number show up as CallerID (they call it Outdial), and no cell plan required (but you'll need a phone, they don't do phone service).

Device(s)
    Nexus 6p,iphone 6s plus
    Carrier(s)
    VZW,T-mobile,Cricket,Fi
    Feedback Score
    Line2 and sendhub are two possible choices.
    "I didn't get fat by accident. This was a personal choice. " - Kevin Gillespie

Houston/ Dallas/Irving, TX > Expat to India
    Device(s)
    T-Mobile MDA > T-Mobile DASH
    Carrier(s)
    T-mobile/Voicestream
    Feedback Score

Device(s)
    Motorola Droid X2
    Carrier(s)
    Page Plus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    I would use the GVmate http://gvmate.com/ if I didn't already have an old magicJack laying around, unused. Since I do, I plan to use the GVJack app from http://www.pcphonesoft.com/ . I did some testing with the GVJack app when it was first released (before I got my Obi 100).

I will miss using my Obi 100, after May 15th. I looked into other options, but I am so used to $0 monthly cost for my "home" phone.

As a backup plan, I have Bluetooth turned on for one of our cell phones, and link-to-cell configured on our Panasonic cordless phone system. Works pretty well for us.

Carrier(s)
    PTel
    Feedback Score
    I use the callcentric did from NYC instead of IPKall. When I used IPKall, i was getting no callerid. There are long forums and threads all over the internets about GV passing bad Caller ID (I think in an attempt to not pay high connection rates ).

The callcentric DID is doing good so far, but I wonder if I overuse it, I wonder if GV will send band callerid :P (just a theory and watching for now ). Nonetheless, working great for now!

Also instead of using the browser for outbound calling, I downloaded the Google Voice Callback app (android) now called Voice+. Via data sends a request to GV to initiate a call back based on the number dialed from the stock phone app. Of course the number will call the callcentric (or IPKALL) number and ring my softphone (csipsimple). Now I have free outbound and free inbound all with my Google voice number.

What I don't know is if May 14 deadline will close the call back feature used by this Voice+ app. Less than a month away and we shall see! :P Good luck!

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-mobile/Voicestream
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kedwards9 View Post
    I would use the GVmate http://gvmate.com/ if I didn't already have an old magicJack laying around, unused. Since I do, I plan to use the GVJack app from http://www.pcphonesoft.com/ . I did some testing with the GVJack app when it was first released (before I got my Obi 100).

I will miss using my Obi 100, after May 15th. I looked into other options, but I am so used to $0 monthly cost for my "home" phone.

As a backup plan, I have Bluetooth turned on for one of our cell phones, and link-to-cell configured on our Panasonic cordless phone system. Works pretty well for us.
    Doesnt GVMate need a PC to be on? Or is it totally via SmartPhone?

Quote Originally Posted by classicalmusic View Post
    I use the callcentric did from NYC instead of IPKall. When I used IPKall, i was getting no callerid. There are long forums and threads all over the internets about GV passing bad Caller ID (I think in an attempt to not pay high connection rates ).

The callcentric DID is doing good so far, but I wonder if I overuse it, I wonder if GV will send band callerid :P (just a theory and watching for now ). Nonetheless, working great for now!

Also instead of using the browser for outbound calling, I downloaded the Google Voice Callback app (android) now called Voice+. Via data sends a request to GV to initiate a call back based on the number dialed from the stock phone app. Of course the number will call the callcentric (or IPKALL) number and ring my softphone (csipsimple). Now I have free outbound and free inbound all with my Google voice number.

What I don't know is if May 14 deadline will close the call back feature used by this Voice+ app. Less than a month away and we shall see! :P Good luck!
    Could you please guide on how this works - steps/ components, costs and can be set up by me? Especially on iPhone?

Device(s)
    Motorola Droid X2
    Carrier(s)
    Page Plus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Yes, a PC's USB port is necessary for GVmate (and the GVJack app) to work, though 4 cell phones in our house will all simul-ring for incoming calls. For us, I can count on a desktop PC in my mother-in-law's addition always being on.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-mobile/Voicestream
    Feedback Score
    I've been using Hangouts (app version from last year) on iPhone with my GV Numbers. I can make calls pretty fine over WiFi from outside the US. Tried a bit on 3G as well..

I want to be able to receive the calls as well.. atleast a notification ring on my iPhone.. Is it possible for newer versions of the App?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2