Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Galaxy Centura Tracfone system update?

Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I am aware of the clock bug. What is the WIFI bug? Have not seen that one yet.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by niceman View Post
    Just got this update. Cool, hope they fix the clock and wifi bugs.
    What is the WiFi bug? I've never had a problem with WiFi on the Centura.

Feedback Score
    Will I still get this update if the phone is rooted?

Feedback Score
    Just updated thru wifi.

Phone
    S390G LG500G T404G T301G V170
    Carrier
    TracFone (AT&T SIM)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MiMtnBiker View Post
    Will I still get this update if the phone is rooted?
    You'll get notified and it will download.

If you used the AA51 root, it won't install because that uses a non stock recovery (CWM).

Feedback Score

Phones
    LG 600g
    LG 225
    Moto w376g
    Carriers
    TracFone
    Feedback Score
    Has anyone else had a problem where this update seems to make the Centura less stable? Mine locks up completely at least once a day now; a few days ago it happened 4 times in a 16-hour day, including twice in an hour at one point. I can't seem to pinpoint any cause, although I have some suspicion that possibly it is locking up when it is performing one action (not sure which), and then a notification comes in at the same time. But I can't prove this, as I'm never able to completely verify the timing of the notification since the phone is then locked up so I'm not even positive that a new notification came in.

My Centura is currently in use as my main phone, and admittedly I probably demand more from it than was ever intended for this hardware, and more than 99% of other users out there. But still, this is pretty terrible.

Anyway, it all seems to have gotten a lot worse after this update. Has anyone else noticed this?

Feedback Score
    I know you don't want to hear this, but it's a crummy phone. The update probably force-fed it something that it can't handle without sacrificing performance. The update had something to do with security. Perhaps the phone has to check things that it didn't have to check before. So if you do something that requires checking, it will tie up the system to the point of collapse.

I would just cave in and get a better phone. I got a lower-end Samsung that struggles sometimes with things if they happen too fast. I cannot imagine using a Centura.

Just my two cents.

Carrier
    Ring+ - Ting - US Mobile - Lyca - H20 - PPC
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by pbushx2 View Post
    Has anyone else had a problem where this update seems to make the Centura less stable? Mine locks up completely at least once a day now; a few days ago it happened 4 times in a 16-hour day, including twice in an hour at one point. I can't seem to pinpoint any cause, although I have some suspicion that possibly it is locking up when it is performing one action (not sure which), and then a notification comes in at the same time. But I can't prove this, as I'm never able to completely verify the timing of the notification since the phone is then locked up so I'm not even positive that a new notification came in.

My Centura is currently in use as my main phone, and admittedly I probably demand more from it than was ever intended for this hardware, and more than 99% of other users out there. But still, this is pretty terrible.

Anyway, it all seems to have gotten a lot worse after this update. Has anyone else noticed this?
    I would back up all the info that is important as best you can and do a hard reset of the device. There could be a compatibility issue with one of the applications or system hardware/software configuration issue. If it then continues I would say you a have a faulty device and should contact Samsung or Tracfone for warranty.

Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Lisme View Post
    I know you don't want to hear this, but it's a crummy phone. The update probably force-fed it something that it can't handle without sacrificing performance. The update had something to do with security. Perhaps the phone has to check things that it didn't have to check before. So if you do something that requires checking, it will tie up the system to the point of collapse.

I would just cave in and get a better phone. I got a lower-end Samsung that struggles sometimes with things if they happen too fast. I cannot imagine using a Centura.

Just my two cents.
    Judging by the very few complaints on this and other forums about this phone, it must work pretty well for most folks. It's not a high end phone but it does work pretty well for what it is in my opinion. I am sorry you had a bad experience with this phone.

Phones
    Ascend Y, Proclaim, Ascend Plus
    Shorty, LG290C, VX5500, S380C, 235C, 440G
    401G
    Carriers
    America Movil, Virgin Mobile
    Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GaryST View Post
    Judging by the very few complaints on this and other forums about this phone, it must work pretty well for most folks. It's not a high end phone but it does work pretty well for what it is in my opinion. I am sorry you had a bad experience with this phone.
    I'll second Lisme's comments. I tried one of the Centura's a couple of months ago on ST. I immediately noticed how sluggish & choppy the phone behaved. I had read similar complaints on HF last year but had to try one myself. Then there was the whole clock being off issue. Samsung is generally a good brand but every company can lay a rotten egg. I returned it immediately.

Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by indyrunr89 View Post
    I'll second Lisme's comments. I tried one of the Centura's a couple of months ago on ST. I immediately noticed how sluggish & choppy the phone behaved. I had read similar complaints on HF last year but had to try one myself. Then there was the whole clock being off issue. Samsung is generally a good brand but every company can lay a rotten egg. I returned it immediately.
    I have found that the clock is fixed by using the Clock Sync app. Installed about a month ago and never happened again, maybe the update fixed the clock not sure. There is an Auto Memory app that seems to help the phone run much better than it did as well. It's certainly no Iphone but everything works pretty well for me. The phone reception and clarity is great compared to my old LG290C.

Phones
    LG 600g
    LG 225
    Moto w376g
    Carriers
    TracFone
    Feedback Score
    Thanks for the replies. It certainly might also be an app I installed; I'll try backing out some that I think I installed around the same time as that update. And Gary, thanks also for the app recommendations. I'll install those as well and see if I get any improvement.

Feedback Score
    It still begs the question about why the phone should need apps in order to function properly. Plus, I should think that apps are using system resources while they are fixing system bugs. This phone should have been discontinued at the Net10/StraightTalk stage.

Feedback Score
    GaryST,
    Clock bug not fixed by MJ1 update. My research indicates that android is designed to work without any app killer. You may want to try running without it because that's one thing they worked on in MJ1 from what I understand.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast