Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: New Red Pocket Sprint cdma plans, strong alternate to Virgin Mobile? (BYOSD+LTE too!)

Feedback Score

New Red Pocket Sprint cdma plans, strong alternate to Virgin Mobile? (BYOSD+LTE too!)

Red Pocket is a long established Att mvno which recently launched a cdma arm based on Sprint prepaid coverage .
    They allow many Sprint devices on their BYOSD (Bring Your Own Sprint Device) program with the notable exceptions of the iphone, Blackberry, and other devices less then a year old vs. VM's notorously infamous NO BYOD whatsoever strategy.

Red Pocket's plans on Sprint side have a number of counterparts that could target Virgin Mobile's current lineup .
    Their $50 unlimited talk/text/data plan has a reported cap of 2.5 to 4 gigs at up to LTE speed and unlimited 256k throttle afterwards vs VM's $55 unlimited everything plan.

RP Has a $35 300 minute, unlimited text/data (up to 2.5 possibly even 4 gb LTE and unlimited 256k throttle) with byosd vs VM's same price/tiered plan.

RP has $29 unlimited talk/text/100 megs of data. VM is $40 for unlimited talk/text/50 mb.

RP has paygo on Sprint side. 10 cents a minute/text/meg. VM recently killed paygo.

RP has CS that is open seven days a week, nearly 20 hours a day. VM does not.

I've tested RP CS. They are better then VM CS.

RP is an established independent mvno and is growing in other ways. It recently signed up and now has Tmobile based broadband so you can byod a Tmobile based broadband device and get their service.

Verizon service is reportedly in the works for this year.

But that aside, RP's new Sprint plans may be a viable alternative to those who are looking at VM's plans but want something a little different. I see equal or lower prices for the same plans. BYOSD, a huge bonus for phone selections if you have the right phones (clean esn Sprint postpaid devices not under contract . Mostly Windows Phone/mobile , Android devices and feature phones).

Plus longer cs hours and possibly better cs quality.
    \Underneath it all, it is the same network coverage. Sprint prepaid without roaming . So that bottomline is identical.

I see Byosd and lower pricing plus paygo as big pros.

If you're not an iphone lover or a Blackberry holdout, RP may be another path for VM users.

Food for thought.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for this, I'm really thinking about it, does anyone have anything bad to say about them? I been looking for a s3 on vm but I got a Sprint s3 laying around, so if they are just as good I mite just ditch vm and activate my Sprint s3 on RD, thanks again!

Feedback Score
    Glad someone could use this. I couldn't help but notice the similarities between RP Sprint and VM.when RP sprint came out.
    If your Sprint S3 has a clean esn and no outstanding etf or is not otherwise blacklisted by Sprint , it should work on RP. Call their cs and run the meid/esn to double check. The thing about RP is that the core company is one of the older independent mvnos out there. Though Sprint branch is new, they've been in the business since 2006. there are many other Sprint mvnos with byosd that offer similar products which are new but many of them have no history. I'd rather trust a brand that's an offshoot of an established one then risk it on a new one that has no history. Considering Sprint mvnos popup all the time and disappear just as fast, I'd want something with a bit more roots then just anther generic Sprint mvnos. RP has that. Good luck and hope it works out for you should you try it. And Happy New Year.

Carrier(s)
    Virgin Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    Wow...this is a great find.

I think it appeals more to people who are coming out of contract with Sprint or just have to have a certain 2012 or older phone that VM doesn't have.

Sprint's new rule about BYOD'ing phones that are only at least a year old really puts a dent in the offer.

Feedback Score
    When vm throttles they throttle to the same speed as RD throttles right?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by traviscox09 View Post
    When vm throttles they throttle to the same speed as RD throttles right?
    According to Prepaidphonenews.com, it should be up to 256k download speed throttles unlimited.

http://www.prepaidphonenews.com/2013...ng-mobile.html

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile US
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    300 minutes, unlimited messaging, and 4GB of LTE for $35 is a great price. Especially if they don't charge BS surcharges that other Sprint MVNOs are known for charging. I'd definitely consider this plan if Sprint had a better network around here. Hopefully others follow their lead - not everyone needs unlimited minutes.
    Carriers I've used: Sprint, T-Mobile, Cricket, AT&T, Verizon, Page Plus, Virgin Mobile, Movistar, AT&T Mexico, Telcel, Straight Talk, RingPlus.
    Phones I've used: iPhone 6S, iPhone 5c, HTC One M9, Samsung Galaxy S3, LG G2, BlackBerry Storm, Nokia 820, Motorola Atrix HD, iPhone 4S, HTC One V, iPhone 4, Nokia Lumia 900, Nokia N9, Samsung Focus, Samsung Captivate, Nokia N900, HTC 8525, iPhone 3GS, iPhone, Nokia E61i, Siemens A56...

Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Yep, good deals here. Chit Chat can compare and even slightly edge them out at some levels of usage, but RP has been around a while and is CallingMart friendly. Ting still wins for talk/text only users - and their Verizon voice roaming is still unmatched.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I'm definitely switching to this. The dilemma I had was that there isn't anything on VM for under $300 that is a upgrade over the HTC evo V that has LTE. A pretty decent condition LG optimus G(CMDA nexus 4) is under $200 and it is faster than the GS3. If I can scrape up the money for an optimus G then I'm pretty much done with VM.

Feedback Score
    I spoke with a CS rep and apparently it's 4 gigs of up to LTE 4G data before throttle vs VM's 2.5 gigs. You get almost double the data for the same price or less. Unless you've got to have your Apple and eat it too, Red Pocket devirginizes its opposition handily...

Device(s)
    Nexus⁴, Idol 3
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mo monthly4g, H2O
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by fonezfonz

5)Red Pocket. Except for their 2gig full speed data plan and $30 unlimited talk/text/mms/10 meg plan, one step above garbage. Once you hit two gigs you're out of luck.

6)H20. Garbage.

Do i apologize for my smashing H20 and Red Pocket? No i do not. Let them fix their own reps.
    http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...-the-Att-mvnos

While looking for gsm mvnos I came across this. Has something changed in the past months?

A lot of people in that thread agree that Red pocket is trash.
    LG Nexus⁴ -- OmniRom lollipop 5.1.1 -- LTE enabled
    Alcatel Idol 3 ------- Stock lollipop -- 5.0.2
    Acer A100 -- GodDroid CM10 4.1.2 @1.5ghz
    Old: Moto G, F3, Blaze 4g, SIII, OV, MT, Rise, Elite

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hershey_squirt View Post
    http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...-the-Att-mvnos

While looking for gsm mvnos I came across this. Has something changed in the past months?

A lot of people in that thread agree that Red pocket is trash.
    Based on my experience, yes. I've tested RP CS for the last two months and while they're nowhere near say Air Voice levels, they are a sight better then last year. Because of this, I've even given H20 a chance by asking if they've changed to people who've been using them (separate thread under H20). Apparently , sometimes an mvnos' cs can change , even a bit for the better. World class? Nope but way more tolerable then before. And for a while, they kept asking "have I taken care of all your needs? " etc indicating there is some effort at least to improve cs. That's the REAL issue I had with them before back in the days of 20 minute hold times, completely clueless cs and sometimes not answering at all. Compared to that, now is a big change. And way better then VM "help". I've always had trouble with those clowns
    And if you'll notice on this later post, Red Pocket did climb up that list anyway. http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...8#post15199558

Now about H20...

Device(s)
    Nexus⁴, Idol 3
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mo monthly4g, H2O
    Feedback Score
    Thanks for the update. I'm looking at a few of these for a low data (500-1000mb), and unlimited V+T at&t plan. For another nexus 4 or optimus g.

Feedback Score
    Im getting a HTC One so im going to try to activate that,i know someone here said you cant use newer phones but im going to give it a try since they have newer phones for purchase on their website,ill let you know how it goes

Device(s)
    Nexus 5X - Moto X PE(2), LG X Charge, LG G Pad, Nokia 6102b
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone, Xfinity Mobile, Freedom Pop, Lycamobile
    Feedback Score
    Red Pocket states, "Directory assistance, Call Forwarding, 3-way Calling and Roaming are NOT available for Red Pocket Mobile™ UNLIMITED or monthly plans." Is this in line with Virgin Mobile TOS as well or does Virgin Mobile offer some of these services? I find it difficult to read through Virgin's TOS, so I thought I would just ask here.
    If all things more or less being equal, wouldn't Red Pocket's $35 plan seems like a better alternative to Virgin's $35 plan and their limited and locked to their service devices?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast