Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What would be the best cellphone company in US?

Device(s)
    Nexus 6P
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

Lightbulb What would be the best cellphone company in US?

Give me ATT coverage with T-Mobile prices and JUMP! I'm sold.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Unfortunately, there is no best cellphone company. AT&T coverage isn't the same everywhere for everyone, so you really need to decide what it is that you want. If you want superior coverage, you will be paying a premium for it. That is what I have decided with Verizon. They offer the best coverage where I use my device 99% of the time, so I pay their price for it. Less coverage for less money just won't do when I am expecting an important call, or need to access the web without the use of WiFi.
    Current Device: Apple iPhone 5S
    Space Grey - 32GB

Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    ON AVERAGE, it generally breaks down like this (you mileage, however, may vary):

You have 3 competitive carriers, and Sprint.

Verizon is "best" on average, with the most voice and 4G coverage, but they are the most expensive. AT&T isn't far behind Verizon, and they can be a little less expensive depending on the pricing details of the plan. If you spend much time in rural areas, it's most likely that you'll want AT&T or Verizon.

T-Mobile is definitely far behind in coverage, and for the time being, only metro areas are covered with 4G. Despite their coverage issues, T-Mobile redeems itself with fast, reliable 4G where offered, lower pricing than the rest, and the most consumer-friendly policies in the US.

Sprint just sucks. They sucked in 2001 when I left them, and they suck today. Sprint offers T-Mobile-like coverage, Verizon/AT&T-like pricing, and the worst reliability and speed of them all. They're going to need a bit more time under new ownership, and a bit more time to finish their "Network Vision" plans before they're worth considering. In two years, they may have something. Right now? No way!

Feedback Score
    Depends on your needs, your location, how often you travel and where and what you're willing to spend... I've had service from all four carriers and T-Mobile + sprint were just terrible. My wife and I both use an at&t mvno called aio. At&t coverage for half the cost and we're both satisfied.

CM 11 HTC One X on aio Wireless

Feedback Score
    A funny thing about cell-phone service: a lot of customers complain about it, but don’t switch companies. Most of the readers taking part in this survey stayed with their wireless provider after their contract expired — and they could change without a penalty — even though only half of them were highly satisfied.

Feedback Score
    I am using AT&T for long time...I am quite satisfied with its services and ra

Device(s)
    iPhone 8 Plus, Nexus 5X, Nexus 6P, Lumia 640
    Carrier(s)
    Xfinity Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Right now, I would say that the best cellphone company is T-Mobile. Before you argue coverage, I'm not saying they have the best network. Instead, they are the best company, the one that is innovating and forcing other cellphone companies to respond to what they are doing.

As for coverage, who is best for each individual depends on coverage in their area. In fact, it seems like it would be a great idea for a new Google Now card (if you have tracking on). Google could add something like what Sensorly does, testing cell coverage as people go about their day. Then, have a card showing you which network has the best coverage in the places you go.

Feedback Score
    Verizon is for me, definetely the best coverage here in Cali.

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Verizon and AT&T are the top best for me. Considering the location before you select. Am currently using Verizon.

Device(s)
    Samsung Avant, Nexus 5X, Moto G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Project Fi, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    I wish I could find the original source of the sig I saw a long time ago: "All wireless carriers suck. The trick is finding one that sucks in a way you can live with."
    Donald Newcomb

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by thegonagle View Post
    Sprint just sucks. They sucked in 2001 when I left them, and they suck today. Sprint offers T-Mobile-like coverage, Verizon/AT&T-like pricing, and the worst reliability and speed of them all. They're going to need a bit more time under new ownership, and a bit more time to finish their "Network Vision" plans before they're worth considering. In two years, they may have something. Right now? No way!
    Oddly enough, I think I have spent the most time on Sprint. I began cell phone shopping in mid 2006. At the time it was Sprint, Cingular (now AT&T) and Alltel (now Verizon). Cingular and Verizon wanted $300 deposits from me for lack of a credit history. Sprint only wanted $150. I signed a 2 year contract and got a Samsung A840 phone and kept it for 3 years. Then I upgraded and got a new LG Lotus and loved the phone. But then I ended up moving about 20 miles away to a rural area (under 1000 population) and I had no coverage on Sprint, only verizon roaming. I called up Sprint and told them and they let me out of my contract with no penalty.

Then I went to Straight Talk (verizon, $30/mo). Then to AT&T Gophone (10 cent/min, about $10/mo), then to Net10 Verizon (pay as you go so it's cheap).

Then I also started up Virgin Mobile with hotspot on an Evo V 4G which I kept for about 9 months, which I let expire this month since I didn't care about that phone #. So I've spent almost 4 years total on Sprint in 8 years while I've spent maybe a year a half each on Verizon and AT&T.

For the time being I'm only on Tracfone (Verizon) and intend to stick with that for a good long while since I use it so lightly. I'm now debating what to do data wise on a larger scale..... $50 Straight Talk 5GB hotspot or $90 Millenicom 20GB hotspot. I'm leaning toward $90/20GB so I don't have to stress over my data usage on Google Maps and such or finding WIFI.

Feedback Score
    If you based it on coverage, 5 years ago Verizon would have won hands down but AT&T has really caught up. Sprint is still... not great. So IMO Verizon and AT&T are about on par but with all it comes down to coverage at your specific location.

Device(s)
    Samsung Avant, Nexus 5X, Moto G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Project Fi, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jstorm22 View Post
    If you based it on coverage, 5 years ago Verizon would have won hands down but AT&T has really caught up. Sprint is still... not great. So IMO Verizon and AT&T are about on par but with all it comes down to coverage at your specific location.
    If your sole criterion was coverage, Iridium would win hands down. I think one needs to consider the value one receives. If one places a very high value on rural coverage, then Verizon & ATT will rate highly. If T-Mobile or Sprint satisfy your coverage needs, then they may be a better value. If you travel abroad regularly (without a company expense account) then T-Mobile's international roaming is a big plus for them.

My brother has service with Viaero and likes them very much. They seem to have unlimited roaming on ATT outside their NE, CO home coverage.

Feedback Score
    i think better Att or Verizon . Lot of friends on Att and they happy . Just try to check plans.
    All prepaid plans on one website: www.allprepaidplans.com

Device(s)
    HTC One M8
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    It all depends on where you're at -- at this point in time I'd give a slight edge to AT&T mainly because they deploy LTE across ALL their sites when they deploy in a market and are (just slightly) cheaper than Verizon. Verizon is catching up with their AWS though, which provides some awesome speeds, whereas AT&T is a little more spectrum starved and is currently on a downward trend speed wise until they figure out what to do next (and digest DirecTV)... but I still give the slight edge to AT&T if they have decent speeds where you are at. If one of the Big 2 is PCS-only in your area, you'll want the one that isn't PCS. Usually these areas also have US Cellular -- and in that case, if you stick around their native coverage area and don't roam too much, is generally the "best" coverage with middling LTE speeds.

If you don't travel much, your best carrier *might* be T-Mobile -- if you are in NYC, T-Mobile has the densest network there and from what accounts I've read has awesome speeds and great rates. If you travel any good bit, I'd stay away -- they rigidly control where you can roam, and offer no in-market roaming to AT&T so if you can't get their PCS or AWS, you get "emergency calls only". Coverage is slightly less than Sprint, but when you are in it, it is MUCH faster.

Honestly, I'm a Sprint guy and have had them for years with samplings of the others... I'm under no illusions that they are the "best" carrier in the vast majority of situations -- but I can tell things are slowly improving. The consensus is that Chicago is the farthest along, and if you are there you can get some great speeds and the coverage is similar to AT&T since they have all 3 bands active there. I stick with Sprint because I have a killer plan... I always toy with the idea of going to AT&T at each contract, but they always seem to do just enough improving so I stick it out for another go because of my cheap plan. If your around Chicago, I'd give them a shot as a "new customer" -- otherwise I'd only join up if you can get a killer plan or a great employee discount... it's not as bad "coverage wise" as T-Mobile as they have a nationwide roaming agreement with Verizon (and USCC in their areas) that comes in handy, including in-market roaming -- but they have plenty of 3G in the weirdest places that show LTE available on their maps due to their choice to fill in as backhaul becomes available vs. launch entire markets at a time -- as the back haul comes in, the LTE fills in. In addition, unless you happen to be in their 2.5 "Spark" area (which provides similar speeds as T-Mobile), your LTE will be 5x5 on PCS or 800 (where they have the 800 launched) which gives a usual 6-8 meg connection with peaks to the high 20's. T-Mobile has 15x15 and 20x20 in a bunch of areas so you'll be solidly in the 50+ range.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast