Thread: Sprint Iphone 4s transition - conflicting answers - need clarification

Feedback Score

Sprint Iphone 4s transition - conflicting answers - need clarification

Everything that I've read says I need to unlock the phone, put in a new micro sim card, and get a network access code.
    I called Straight Talk, and the CS insisted that Sprint 4s phones only need the network access code.
    He took all the info and signed me up, but I'm not confident that he did it correctly. Phone was not unlocked, nor did I replace the sim card. I'm still on Sprint.
    Any advice or experiences with the Sprint 4s?

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Hi, Russ -

Sprint iPhone 4S's are capable of GSM on Straight Talk, but the SIM slot is not unlocked for US carriers. You can get the phone unlocked through Sprint, but it's only unlocked for foreign SIM cards. Sprint has not yet begun unlocking them for domestic carriers yet. Look at the other thread I just posted about an agreement CTIA made with Sprint and the other carriers to start unlocking phones in 2014.

Anyway, if you do wind up getting it unlocked for domestic SIM cards, here's what is supposed to happen: Once you put the SIM card in the slot, it overrides the Sprint/CDMA functionality of the phone with the account that is on the GSM SIM card. Then, it'll work with Straight Talk.

Hope this makes sense...
    - acadiel

Feedback Score

Thanks.

It appears that the Straight Talk CS rep is very wrong.

Sprint iPhone 4S's are capable of GSM on Straight Talk, but the SIM slot is not unlocked for US carriers. You can get the phone unlocked through Sprint, but it's only unlocked for foreign SIM cards. Sprint has not yet begun unlocking them for domestic carriers yet. Look at the other thread I just posted about an agreement CTIA made with Sprint and the other carriers to start unlocking phones in 2014.

Anyway, if you do wind up getting it unlocked for domestic SIM cards, here's what is supposed to happen: Once you put the SIM card in the slot, it overrides the Sprint/CDMA functionality of the phone with the account that is on the GSM SIM card. Then, it'll work with Straight Talk.

Hope this makes sense...[/QUOTE]