Thread: Can't Change APNs on Pantech Discover?

Feedback Score

Can't Change APNs on Pantech Discover?

Long-time lurker, first time poster. Looking for some help here.

I bought a Pantech Discover a couple weeks ago to use on Straight Talk. I finally got my SIM card today, and after activating it, I got everything setup... except that I get no data. I put in the APN data for Straight Talk, and followed their instructions on how to get the APN all set up for use. The only catch is, for some reason, I cannot actually select the Straight Talk APN that I setup, so I'm currently stuck without data. Luckily I have generally good access to WiFi, but I am traveling for a couple weeks coming up and really need data as at least a backup.

To my knowledge, the phone is not unlocked. I didn't think that mattered for the AT&T Straight Talk SIMs though. If necessary I am willing to pay for an unlock code or whatever if that will fix this issue.

Any advice would be appreciated.

I'm wondering if I am stuck with this phone without data (unless I go to GoPhone... not against it, but I would like to at least get more than talk/text this month and not basically waste $56 for the month of service + SIM). Moving from Virgin Mobile was supposed to get me better data, and I ended up with no data. Whoops.

Carriers
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score

Feedback Score
    Thank you for that link!

I had found the APN Backup & Restore app steps before but they never solved the issue. Luckily, screwing around with some settings within that app, and accidentally got it to where it would let me actually select the Straight Talk APN.

Apparently the trick was to create the Straight Talk APN setting, backup both it and the AT&T APN in the app, delete them, and then restore them, and it would let me pick the Straight Talk APN. I thought I had tried that before but I guess I didn't.

Thank you for the help. That link was helpful.

Feedback Score
    So, I have another question regarding the Straight Talk tfdata APN.

Does Straight Talk block speed tests? I've tried a few different apps (OOKLA's SpeedTest.net app, Splashpad's app and another I don't remember off the top of my head) as well as a couple different speed test websites and all of them disconnect part-way through the test. I have read that Straight Talk apparently blocks speed test apps on Windows Phone, but I didn't know if they did it on Android too. The SpeedTest.net app before it crashes says I'm getting about 15-17 Mbps both down and up so I'm more than happy with those speeds. I have noticed though that the tests complete when connected to WiFi so I'm thinking it's something with Straight Talk.

tl;dr version I guess is does Straight Talk block Speed Test apps/sites from completing the test on the tdfata APN? Or is this is just something really random I'm experiencing?

Carriers
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    The Ookla speedtest works on my iphone 5 on tfdata att sim!

Feedback Score
    Thanks, that makes me wonder now even more.

Every time I attempt to run the app, I get about halfway through the upload test and all of a sudden it goes "Network Connection Issues" even though I still have a data connection. And this ONLY happens while connected to 4G/LTE data, not on WiFi which is why I am extremely confused about it.