Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Is your incoming MMS (picture messages) broken? Read this thread!

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 5s
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket Wireless
    Feedback Score

Is your incoming MMS (picture messages) broken? Read this thread!

If you don't need a primer on MMS and are certain that your MMS APN settings are correct, proceed directly to step 3.

1. What is MMS?

MMS is Multimedia Messaging Service. This protocol is used to send picture messages, send messages to a group of people, and to send messages to email addresses. This is the standard way that Android and Windows Phone users send these types of messages. For iPhone users, MMS is used when sending messages like these to non-iPhone users. iMessage, only for iPhone and Mac, is used when iPhone users send these messages to other iPhone users. iMessage only uses the primary data connection, so when testing MMS on iPhones, it is important to turn off iMessage.

2. MMS APN settings

MMS requires a data connection, but also requires separate phone settings.

Access Point Names (APNs) are the settings that give you data and MMS messaging. Previously, up until sometime last year, the only APN for Straight Talk was att.mvno. This needed to be input manually on all platforms. Currently, all BYOD SIM cards are being switched over to a different APN, tfdata. This switch has caused a lot of problems for users.

First, you need to make sure that your MMS APN settings are correct.

For Android and Windows Phone users

APN: tfdata
    PORT: 80
    MMSC: http://mms-tf.net
    MMS PROXY: mms3.tracfone.com
    MMS PORT: 80
    APN type: default,supl,mms

Whether or not the Port Number is in there does not seem to matter. For the MMS Proxy, 66.209.11.33 is equivalent to mms3.tracfone.com

For iPhone users

Good news: If you have updated to iOS 7 and installed the TFW 15.6 or TFW 15.7 carrier update, your MMS settings are already correct. For posterity, and for jailbroken iOS 6 users, I have included them below.

APN: tfdata
    Username:
    Password:
    MMSC: http://mms-tf.net
    MMS Proxy: mms3.tracfone.com
    MMS Max Size: 1048576
    MMS UA Prof URL: http://www.apple.com/mms/uaprof.rdf

3. If your APN settings are correctly set as above and you still cannot receive MMS messages

First off, this is an issue with the Straight Talk network, not your phone. Don't go to customer service: they have no clue what the cause of this problem is.

The symptom that I have seen more often is that MMS messages can be sent to other phones, but MMS messages cannot be received, i.e., "incoming MMS is broken". On the iPhone, you have no indication that any message was received. On Android phones, sometimes you just can't download the image: you click on download, but no image is ever downloaded. If you can't send OR receive any MMS messages, these steps may also work.

If you have recently switched to the tfdata APN

If you have suddenly lost your data connection after having started with Straight Talk sometime last year, you have probably just switched to the tfdata APN. You can then input the above tfdata APN settings and your data will start working again. In some cases, your MMS will also start working immediately, but in others, your incoming MMS might be broken.

If you have just started with Straight Talk

New Straight Talk users (those who have started in Nov 2013 or later) are automatically on the tfdata APN. After inputting correct APN settings, in some cases, your MMS will also start working immediately, but in others, your incoming MMS might be broken.

IN EITHER CASE

If incoming MMS is broken, wait one week. If MMS starts working, it usually starts working a day or two after being put on the tfdata APN (after activating a new SIM card or getting forcefully moved to tfdata). If it has been a full week or even 4-5 days after switching to tfdata and MMS still is not fully functional, the only way that has consistently worked is to get a hold of a new SIM card and activate that new SIM card with your same number. You can buy one online for $7 and free shipping, or you may be able to raise a stink and get Straight Talk phone customer service to mail you a free one. The activation can be completed online using the straighttalk.com website.

If you activate this new SIM card and after 4-5 days, you still cannot receive MMS messages, you should order another SIM card. I know this seems stupid, but this will eventually work.
    Last edited by hayburner; 01-28-2014 at 03:57 PM. Reason: activating, not porting

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 6S Plus Apple iPhone 6S Plus
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    You are using "port" too loosely. You are simply activating another SIM card with the same telephone number. The carrier is not changing, so no porting is involved.
    Earl F. Parrish

Feedback Score
    Just got my Moto G to send MMS pics by following the above info. basically I had everything but the APN type correct - I used default,supl,mms and was immediately able to send a pic. I had put in a new SIM card 10 days ago.

Roge5

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 5s
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by efparri View Post
    You are using "port" too loosely. You are simply activating another SIM card with the same telephone number. The carrier is not changing, so no porting is involved.
    I've edited the post to reflect that changing SIMs is not a port.

Quote Originally Posted by Roge5 View Post
    Just got my Moto G to send MMS pics by following the above info. basically I had everything but the APN type correct - I used default,supl,mms and was immediately able to send a pic. I had put in a new SIM card 10 days ago.

Roge5
    Excellent! I don't have an Android personally, so I wasn't sure how important the APN Type field was. Sounds like it's pretty crucial.

Device(s)
    LG G2
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hayburner View Post
    Excellent! I don't have an Android personally, so I wasn't sure how important the APN Type field was. Sounds like it's pretty crucial.
    Not quite. I dont have either PORT field filled in or the APN Type and MMS works flawlessly.

Device(s)
    LG G4, Galaxy S6, Moto E LTE, Note 4
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, FreedomPop, TracFone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Only One Haze View Post
    Not quite. I dont have either PORT field filled in or the APN Type and MMS works flawlessly.
    The APN Type field is only used internally by the phone to determine which APN different services should use. In theory it only needs to be filled in if you are using different APNs for MMS and data or tethering, etc.. Leaving it blank should work if you are using a single APN for everything as most operators, including Straight Talk do.

But some phones seem to be buggy and don't work with a blank APN or with spaces after the commas or with the wrong combination of types listed. I setup my phones up by copying the values that the phone auto populates into the APN Type field for the default AT&T or T-Mobile APN into the MVNO APN I'm creating.
    My site: PrepaidPhoneNews.com My other sites: wapreview.com, boostapps.com

Carrier(s)
    Ting
    Feedback Score
    Some phones will accept an asterisk (*) in the APN Type field, and that will force the phone to use that APN for all services. Other phones will come with a default APN that has all the options set. Here's the most complete list of APN Types that I've found, from the default on a Motorola phone:

default,mms,supl,agps,fota,dun,hipri,entitle

Quote Originally Posted by Yeswap View Post
    The APN Type field is only used internally by the phone to determine which APN different services should use. In theory it only needs to be filled in if you are using different APNs for MMS and data or tethering, etc.. Leaving it blank should work if you are using a single APN for everything as most operators, including Straight Talk do.

But some phones seem to be buggy and don't work with a blank APN or with spaces after the commas or with the wrong combination of types listed. I setup my phones up by copying the values that the phone auto populates into the APN Type field for the default AT&T or T-Mobile APN into the MVNO APN I'm creating.
    Questions?? Read the FAQs: The Prepaid FAQ . The Straight Talk FAQ
    Disagree with someone? Be Nice!
    Report posts that violate the rules by clicking the dark triangle at the bottom, left of the post.

I have blocked some Hofo users and so I don't see and won't respond to messages from them.

Device(s)
    BB 8320
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    With your new SIM that you ordered, did MMS work right after putting it in or did it take a few days still?

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 5s
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by blizzah View Post
    With your new SIM that you ordered, did MMS work right after putting it in or did it take a few days still?
    Mine took a couple days still, and I have seen that happen with other people, too. I thought that mine started coming through when I was messing with MMS APN settings, but I think now it may have just been a coincidence.

Device(s)
    HTC Touch Pro
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    This worked for me, coming from a straight talk branded iphone 5. Data and MMS worked instantly after inputting the correct settings. Any idea on how to get visual voicemail working again. I am on ios 6.12 and refuse to upgrade to ios 7.

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 5s
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by antonio010 View Post
    This worked for me, coming from a straight talk branded iphone 5. Data and MMS worked instantly after inputting the correct settings. Any idea on how to get visual voicemail working again. I am on ios 6.12 and refuse to upgrade to ios 7.
    On the AT&T side of Straight Talk, natural visual voicemail is not implemented and is not supported. I don't listen to many voicemails, so the normal default "type in your passcode" thing works fine for me. When asked that question on the forums, people usually point to an app called YouMail (https://www.youmail.com/). I've never used it, but some people are pretty happy with it.

If natural visual voicemail is a dealbreaker, I would switch back to the Verizon/CDMA side of your phone.

Device(s)
    HTC Touch Pro
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    I'll consider my options, thanks.

Feedback Score
    How come your not using the :80 port for the iPhone
    I'm on 15.5 with a GPP sim using the :80 and everything appears to be working OK

Feedback Score
    Backstory:

I had been a T-Mobile user for almost 8 years, when I decided that I'd had enough subpar signal and overpriced plans compared to Straight Talk. In my area, AT&T is the better service, so I opted to buy a used AT&T Galaxy S3 phone to activate on Straight Talk. I brought my tmobile number with me. I did the BYOP plan and activated the phone with a ST sim card. I have tried almost every setting I can find, and have yet to come up with a way to get my mms to work. Yes, It does send mms, but it won't download.

I activated on Jan 28th, and have yet to see it work. Before I go spending money on another sim card, is it because I brought my number with me? If I activate a new sim, will be able to guarantee that I keep my number? Am I using all the right settings? Any help I get would be greatly appreciated!!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Fignuts1 View Post
    Backstory:

I had been a T-Mobile user for almost 8 years, when I decided that I'd had enough subpar signal and overpriced plans compared to Straight Talk. In my area, AT&T is the better service, so I opted to buy a used AT&T Galaxy S3 phone to activate on Straight Talk. I brought my tmobile number with me. I did the BYOP plan and activated the phone with a ST sim card. I have tried almost every setting I can find, and have yet to come up with a way to get my mms to work. Yes, It does send mms, but it won't download.

I activated on Jan 28th, and have yet to see it work. Before I go spending money on another sim card, is it because I brought my number with me? If I activate a new sim, will be able to guarantee that I keep my number? Am I using all the right settings? Any help I get would be greatly appreciated!!
    Try to wait a little longer before getting another sim. The same thing happened to me. At first I could not receive or send pictures. Then all of a sudden bam! It worked. I used the settings that straight talk advised and just waited it out. For whatever reason my MMS worked a month later after activation. I've read that this was the case with other people to. Hope it works for you.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast