Thread: Iphone 5 Straight Talk 4G LTE...

Feedback Score

Iphone 5 Straight Talk 4G LTE...

I have been searching everywhere for a while and can't seem to find any proper proof or answer to my question. I am still new to this prepaid stuff and trying to figure it all out so bare with me, if you would. I recently bought an Iphone 5 off Ebay in really great shape and the description said it was unlocked and ready for any provider and was initially set up for Verizon. Before I really did all my research I went to Verizon under the impression that I could use my Iphone on their prepaid service, they promptly told me I couldn't. I'm not ready to pay the $90+ a month they want to charge me. It seems I can get a better deal out there. I was looking at Straight Talk and saw that they used Verizon Towers in some cases. (Verizon is the predominate provider in my area.) My question is, can I use my unlocked Iphone 5 a1429 (compatable with both GSM & CDMA) on Straight Talk or any other equivalent provider and still get 4G LTE over CDMA (Verizon towers)? Again bare with me if I made any mistakes or assumptions. Thanks.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Ianc484 View Post
    I have been searching everywhere for a while and can't seem to find any proper proof or answer to my question. I am still new to this prepaid stuff and trying to figure it all out so bare with me, if you would. I recently bought an Iphone 5 off Ebay in really great shape and the description said it was unlocked and ready for any provider and was initially set up for Verizon. Before I really did all my research I went to Verizon under the impression that I could use my Iphone on their prepaid service, they promptly told me I couldn't. I'm not ready to pay the $90+ a month they want to charge me. It seems I can get a better deal out there. I was looking at Straight Talk and saw that they used Verizon Towers in some cases. (Verizon is the predominate provider in my area.) My question is, can I use my unlocked Iphone 5 a1429 (compatable with both GSM & CDMA) on Straight Talk or any other equivalent provider and still get 4G LTE over CDMA (Verizon towers)? Again bare with me if I made any mistakes or assumptions. Thanks.
    straight talk will not activiate any outside CDMA iphone. you can still use your iphone with ST but only on ST's AT&T/ t-mobile network
    ST verizon phones use verizon prepaid non roaming, non LTE and is 3G speed only.

Feedback Score

It is my understanding that you can use the gsm side of your phone (TMO or ATT) but the CDMA side is strictly for Verizon itself. Also I can confirm that the Verizon ST phones do not roam onto local CDMA carriers. Where I'm from Verizon postpaid roams onto Appalachian wireless but a ST Verizon side phone has 0 service.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad Mullins View Post
    It is my understanding that you can use the gsm side of your phone (TMO or ATT) but the CDMA side is strictly for Verizon itself. Also I can confirm that the Verizon ST phones do not roam onto local CDMA carriers. Where I'm from Verizon postpaid roams onto Appalachian wireless but a ST Verizon side phone has 0 service.
    So I can only use standard Verizon service, which is CDMA, only? Sprint, Boost, or Virgin is out also?

Feedback Score
    So I can only use standard Verizon service, which is CDMA, only? Sprint, Boost, or Virgin is out also?
    No, you can't use Verizon service through Straight Talk for your iPhone. You will only get Verizon coverage for the iPhone you described by using Verizon's post-paid ("$90") service. You CAN put in a Straight Talk AT&T or T-Mobile SIM in your phone, but then you'll be running on AT&T or T-Mobile, and not Verizon.

If you meant post-paid Verizon (the "$90" plan you mentioned) when you say "standard Verizon service", then you can actually run LTE. And, yes, those other carriers are out, too.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by aKansasKid View Post
    No, you can't use Verizon service through Straight Talk for your iPhone. You will only get Verizon coverage for the iPhone you described by using Verizon's post-paid ("$90") service. You CAN put in a Straight Talk AT&T or T-Mobile SIM in your phone, but then you'll be running on AT&T or T-Mobile, and not Verizon.

If you meant post-paid Verizon (the "$90" plan you mentioned) when you say "standard Verizon service", then you can actually run LTE. And, yes, those other carriers are out, too.
    Thanks this was very helpful. Again sorry for any confusion.

Feedback Score
    Keep in mind as well the Verizon model had different LTE Bands than the ATT & T-Mobile versions so you will be on 4G HSPDA not 4G LTE.

Carrier
    Straight talk
    Feedback Score
    yup. too bad you didnt get a verizon 5C or 5S. Those work perfectly on AT&T 4G LTE

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Kayossno1 View Post
    yup. too bad you didnt get a verizon 5C or 5S. Those work perfectly on AT&T 4G LTE

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Would that be a better option for me? I want the 4G capability and versatility of switching carriers if I need to, and the lowest price without contract.