Thread: Straight Talk Samsung S3 for Verizon....NOT 4G..pissed..now what?

Carrier
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score

Straight Talk Samsung S3 for Verizon....NOT 4G..pissed..now what?

Totally my fault so I take all the blame for not researching. It was a spur of the moment purchase. Walmart assoc. said "oh yeah the S3 is on Verizon (towers) now!" So because I wanted a new phone so bad and was wanting an S3, I went for it. Opened a NEW walmart credit card, got the phone $399.99 and switched my number over. Then I get home and realize it says 3G. WTF? I was pissed! Those are sneaky bastards! lol so my dilemma is, I really love ST (going on 2 years) but I really want a 4G phone on Verizon towers ONLY. Can I just BUY a Verizon 4G phone from Walmart (not on contract, full retail) and put a Straight Talk SIM in it to use on ST for Verizon? I have 2 weeks to return this phone if I don't like it. I am not up to date on all this so I figured this was the best place to ask a pro for advice! I keep getting mixed answers when I google it. Thanks for your answers!

Carrier
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    No, as of now there is no prepaid Verizon 4G LTE.

Sent with the HoFo App

Carrier
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    Now I'm hearing a lot of people taking their Verizon phones over to ST directly. I don't have a Verizon phone to do that so I'd have to buy one. My sister took her Droid DNA (Verizon contract phone) and now has ST (for almost a year) now with no problems other than that she can't get MMS anymore. But I think she just did her settings wrong. So are my best chances to get on ebay and buy a used Verizon 4G phone? How can I be guaranteed it will work on ST? So confused....sorry

Phones
    Samsung x427m
    Nokia 6590i
    Ericsson T28
    Carrier
    Cingular for 8 yrs;
    Feedback Score
    , I think the problem is ...
    Verizon won't allow StraightTalk to put any LTE phones on their network.
    Which is what zmk76 said, above.
    Verizon only gives LTE service to post paid customers.
    A totally different thing many don't know is ...
    In exchange for use of their new LTE frequency bands, Verizon canNOT sell those phones locked.
    So, your Verizon S3 can take an AT&T (ST) sim.
    I'm not up on whether the S3 will operate on AT&T LTE, I know the iPhone 5 won't.
    now with H2O, after Straight Talk LTE sim debacle 4th Quarter 2013.
    Currently on locked AT&T iPhone 4S. (backup: iPhone 4)
    iOS: 7.1.2, carrier: AT&T 16.0 , modem: 5.2.00 , Data & MMS just fine.
    Previously at: iOS 6.1.3, carrier 14.2, modem 3.4.03 .

Carrier
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by shawnajeastman View Post
    Now I'm hearing a lot of people taking their Verizon phones over to ST directly. I don't have a Verizon phone to do that so I'd have to buy one. My sister took her Droid DNA (Verizon contract phone) and now has ST (for almost a year) now with no problems other than that she can't get MMS anymore. But I think she just did her settings wrong. So are my best chances to get on ebay and buy a used Verizon 4G phone? How can I be guaranteed it will work on ST? So confused....sorry
    If your sister is using the DNA on ST she has it on At&t or Tmobile not Verizon.

Sent with the HoFo App

Carrier
    AT&T Gophone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by shawnajeastman View Post
    The Verizon s3 doesn't have the right bands to get even 3g on att. Just slow edge. Honestly I'd return it. Walmart has a 15 day return policy for phones. Go pick up a used galaxy s3 for 200. For 400 you can even get a s4. Then you can get 4g LTE from straight talk att Sim card.

If you need a new phone walmart sells the T-Mobile LTE s3 as well. Pick it up and unlock it then I'd stick the att Sim in.

Sent from my MI 2 using Tapatalk